I have just de-installed Norton Anti virus as it was giving me so many problems. I am now using the free version of AVG which seems great.  The only thing is I now notice that all my emails are coming in with the paperclip icon on the left hand side of the screen.  This usually indicates the email has an attachment.  Is this normal with AVG and why is it indicating an attachment when there isn't any?

Well that makes at least 2 of us. I can't help with insight or solution, but exactly the same thing happened when I was strongly advised to get rid off everything Norton and I got got the free AVG version. As this was at least a year ago, and AVG has done its job very well, now I don't even pay attention to this false indication of "attachments". Another intriguing feature is that the paperclip icon occurs at random (it seems) and not every single email message has it. Although I've learned to live with it, I am interested to see what experts will say Tizzylizzy...

I've been using AVG for a very long time - I'm no expert but the paperclip is an attachment referring to the AVG check on the email. When Incredimail does it's check for new messages a little box pops up saying AVG is checking incoming mails for viruses.

Thanks for the input.  I've also noticed that not all my emails have the paper clip, the messages from my daughter for example.  However I know that she has AVG installed so maybe it's just non AVG emails that get the paper clip treatment.

I have had AVG and Adware. I also have the deal that AOL offers for 4 euros a month. The thing is I got hold of AOL on the phone and asked them:-

If I am paying (just looked) Four Ninety-nine a month why do I still get popups etc. The tech then went into detail about which I still do not understand......but. He did say that If you have too many anti protections AVG, Adware etc it can cause conflict as the machine seeks to the first A.V. that you have. He told me all you need is the AOL and spybot. So I of course got rid of the lot and did what he said. Heck, I was flooded with all sorts. I soon got AVG back on, which stopped the stuff. So am I being foolish by still paying for the AOL deal. I mean do these things really work as I still get popups etc. (I know they work a bit) Or are they like the pedestrian buttons on traffic lights.........useless but they make you feel good.

Others more techie than I might disagree but it is never wise to run more than one AntiVirus program on the same machine. As for too many programs, I doubt it is the root problem. Grisoft's AVG is a brilliant program and along with this I use AVG Anti Spyware, Adaware and Windows defender. I have never had a problem in terms of compatibility nor has it ever effected the running of my machine.

With respect, slow running machines very often come from cluttered HD's which have not been defragmented for ages (or ever at all) - faulty or obsolete registry entries - far too much in Start Up and the need for regular cleaning.

AOL have a vested interest in getting you to use their Norton kit. You have already asked the question about why to pay for it. Dont would be my advice. Let AVG do it for you. Get a decent Spam tool (my pref is Mailwasher Pro) a good Anti Spyware (Adaware & AVG AntiSpyware) and a good FireWall (ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm is also an excellent tool). All, except MailWasher Pro are free and give updates free of charge too. MailWasher have a free edition too.

Finally, CCleaner will keep your rubbish in the bin and keep your registry and Start Up issues in check too. And guess what - its FREE too. You can always try out this FREE service online with PCPitstop. Its also a useful tool.

AVG Anti Spyware = http://free.grisoft.com/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5

CCleaner = http://www.ccleaner.com/

Adaware = http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Windows Defender = http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

PCPitstop = http://pcpitstop.com/

Thank you ulster.

Yes I agree AOL have a vested interest.

I did have CC cleaner, and thought it was OK. Again I removed this on advice from the tech. He assured me that he had loads of experience and told me that cleaners like cc create their own scare tactics. I did wonder abour this as it always seemed to get rid of a lot of junk. But it seemed to work. the other thing was I had to manualy run cc. I do defrag often. I still get popups, and this annoys me, as I set the aol blocker to block all. I then ajust the Internet Options Privacy slider. This also drives me mad as then if it is to high you cannot access things, like this forum. Plus what are cookies anyway?

I use IE7 with Google Toolbar which stops virtually all PopUps. You might try it and see.

Cookies - wiser than I will give a better response but generally they are there to assist page loading and the like for you visits and are, normally, harmless. That said, they take up space so I remove them with CCleaner - except those from sites I go to regularly.

I know nothing about computers apart from typing and stuff, however, we have the AVG things on this machine and another one called Spybot that an expert installed for us and they work perfectly. Can't praise them enough.  At one stage our machine had more trojans than Helen of Troy and AVG disposed of the lot for us.

However, we made the error of buying Norton in the beginning and the thing caused absolute mayhem on the machine, hence why I got the expert in to sort it out for us.  He said that Norton was more trouble than its worth and to AVOID.

AVG does a decent job and if one is a little circumspect about opening emails or downloading attachments from unknown or unsolicited sources you're usually pretty safe.

Norton AV used to be highly regarded but lost the plot a few years ago and most people now seem agree that it is bloatware and a resource hog often responsible for slowing machines down.

If you look on the Norton site somewhere there is a cleanup tool you can download to ferret every last vestige, allegedly...! 

As for CC Cleaner, (me again trumpet [;-)]) there are definately programmes out there which attempt to scare you into downloading a fix for a non existent problem - they usually pop up in your face un requested and ALWAYS have to be paid for - but CC cleaner is one of the good guys which not only does a good job but is completely free.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

As for CC Cleaner, (me again trumpet [;-)]) there are definately programmes out there which attempt to scare you into downloading a fix for a non existent problem - they usually pop up in your face un requested and ALWAYS have to be paid for - but CC cleaner is one of the good guys which not only does a good job but is completely free.

[/quote]

That is the problem I need to fix ErnieY, those things that pop up in your face.......how do you get rid of them. I will get cc cleaner back.

Unfortunately CC Cleaner won't necessarily stop this sort of junk as it is primarily for cleaning out unwanted debri. Check it's feature list on  http://www.ccleaner.com/

There is no single answer to this problem but what might help is Hijackthis http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php which you run and then can analyse the report yourself or post it back to the forum and get suggestions as to what should be or should not be on your machine.

Also have you used Spybot S&D  http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html  it's another freebie which can ferret out nasties.

Another useful one is BHO Cop http://www.filelibrary.com/cgi-bin/freedownload/Multi-Platform/n/105/bhocop.zip and in fact this might actually be a good place to start.

Should keep you busy for the weekend...!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I quite agree that AVG is a pretty good antivirus programme, and also agree that it is unwise, often impossible, to run two anti-virus programs together. That doesn't mean you can't use anti-spam or anti-spyware programs in addition to anti-virus; there are far better alternatives than AVG's offering in these, and other, departments. The 'paper clip' symbol you see with e-mails received through AVG does indeed denote a mail attachment, which includes the footer that AVG puts on each e-mail it scans.

It is also quite correct that by far the best anti-virus measure is extreme care about opening attachments and clicking on links.