Temporary Phone Connection

I have been told by a friend that it is possible to have a phone in my French house which can be connected while I'm there and then disconnected while I'm in the UK, after giving suitable notice to the phone company.

However I cannot find any details anywhere and the friend is relaying the information via someone else (!)

My local France Telecom office no longer exists, so, has anyone any idea if this is possible? 

• 2 months later...

We have been "opening " and "closing" our line for a couple of years now when visiting our house in dept 36, It is done by ringing the French Telecom english speaking line and just requesting it , you must make sure you use the words open and close, because if you say connect and disconnect they will literally do just that and it will cost you to have it re connected and a considerable hassle .You only pay for the time you use if your visit spans two months then you will pay for two months as they bill by calender months so if I open the line on 31st Jan and close on 20th Feb it will cost me two months wherby if I wait until 1st Feb it will only cost one month.

Regards

Billy10

Tandem_Pilot, it is quite possible to get "maison secondaire" service from France Telecom even if that is your only residence in France, and you can turn the service off and on via the FT website.

If you read the posts on the links supplied by Clair, you will see how to do this.

If there's anything that's unclear, post again.

OK

We went to the FT office in Limoges, as it is now our nearest office.

Went through screens of computer with an english speaking assistant, until it came to the bit about the primary line.

Then we had to get the supervisor, who told us this was not possible unless we had the primary line in France [8-)]

So its back to Limoges on our next trip then [:D]

[quote user="Tandem_Pilot"]

OK

We went to the FT office in Limoges, as it is now our nearest office.

Went through screens of computer with an english speaking assistant, until it came to the bit about the primary line.

Then we had to get the supervisor, who told us this was not possible unless we had the primary line in France [8-)]

So its back to Limoges on our next trip then [:D]

[/quote]

Don't even bother doing that T_P. Call the English speaking hotline on 0800 364 775 as they know all about this for second home owners.

My pal does it two or three times a year.