Good service and prices from www.ukdvdr.co.uk

no problem with delivery to France either. Why not club together with friends and do a big order to save postage. Last time, my friend ordered about 1000 cd-rs and 800 dvd-rs. I had 100 of each and it was very good value. I have no connection with them, just been a very happy customer.

Danny

Thanks I will look at this one too, although the svp looks very good value.  I don't envisage using large quantities, and am hardly a technological genuis, so a bit of a stupid question if someone can help.

I understand difference between R and RW, but is there some special type of CD R (or RW) that I have to get to download music to, because I have a couple of old discs and couldn't manage it the other day at all (first attempt).   One only had a single document on, and I had checked and there was loads of capacity, so I wondered if I needed a special kind of disc for audio, eg to put into CD player !!

Haven't tried to download a DVD yet as I don't have discs, but can I buy any or is there something special I should be looking for (apart from the obvious, ie DVD !).

burning audio cds for use in cd player - You need to use blank cd-r disks and appropiate software Windows media player, Nero burning rom etc It takes a little learning but after one or two goes, it is very simple.

Have a google search for "cd burning guide" - you will find lots of information, maybe too much!

Danny

It was windows media player I was using (or more appropriately trying to use).   I didn't seem to have any issue with the instructions, only to the extent that it didn't work, if you get my drift !!  So I wondered if it was the discs.   I have put stuff on discs before but always documents for work etc, so wasn't sure if I needed different discs.   But you have answered my question, which is that I don't.   So perhaps just a problem with the discs I have for some reason.

I will try with new batch when I get them.   Thanks for your help.

To make a audio disc, playable on a normal CD player, you need to "close" the  disc, the software will ask you this question.  Closing the disc finishes it and it cannot be written to again.  To make a data disc, you can leave the disc "open" so that you can write further data files at a later date to it, again, the software will ask you this question.  I recommend something like Nero for burning discs (CD and DVD)  as it is fairly intuitive (Wizards available to help you) and it just gets the job done.  Forget using the Windows software, its too basic - well on XP, dont know nowt about Vista ....  yet  .... [geek]

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]

remember, you cannot make playable audio discs with cd rw. Other than that, with Media Player it is fairly straightforward (or should be)

Danny

[/quote]

[8-)]  Oh yes you can.  I have a CD-RW audio disc in my car that I change the tracks on from time to time.  I also use it in the hi-fi on the terrace.  Did you mean DVD-RW?

[quote user="Lisleoise"][quote user="Jane and Danny"]

remember, you cannot make playable audio discs with cd rw. Other than that, with Media Player it is fairly straightforward (or should be)

Danny

[/quote]

[8-)]  Oh yes you can.  I have a CD-RW audio disc in my car that I change the tracks on from time to time.  I also use it in the hi-fi on the terrace.  Did you mean DVD-RW?
[/quote]

If it works for you that is great but I was trying to keep it simple for the original poster. It can get very complicated with compatibility. If one wants to be sure that a disc will play on virtually any cd player then use cdr. Some newer players can play cd rw but only if correctly formatted. Some will also play mp3s. Most peoples' hifi will accept a cdr disc only.

Danny

I agree with your last comment that not all hifis will play certain types of CDs but your original post (you cannot make playable audio discs with cd rw) was very misleading as you are not to know what sort of hifi they have.  You CAN make playable audio discs with cd rw.

Anyway, the OP only wanted a cheap source of DVDs.

Well I did originally want a cheap source of DVD's (and still do) but then I went on to ask some questions, which have been nicely answered, so thank you for your time everyone.   I think I see what the problem is now, it seems like it may be because I already had documents on the discs I was trying to use.

I shall await my new batch and try again.   I have decided to go for CD-R and DVD-R (rather than RW)  just to play safe.

Thanks again.

Yup, have to agree, CD -r and DVD-r seem to be the most compatible and trouble free standards.

I don't have a problem because we live quite near Andorra: very, very cheap.

You can get them from e-blag as well.

Go for the best quality discs you can find and you'll save yourself a lot of time and bother, especially with video.

Burn video discs (any video) as slowly as possible for best results.