French digital tv and freeview

We have a UK tv working fine in France on the normal French terrestrial channels.

Can anyone tell me what the equivalent of digital/freeview is in France, please?

Is it being introduced as in the UK with a imminent closedown of terrestrial?

And, would a UK freeview box 'work' in France? And, therefore would a UK bought PVR be OK for French digital?

Please excuse my ignorance in these matters but it is only matched and exceeded by our French neighbours.

Yes, entirely agreed.

The only UK/France problems is that the original OnDigital boxes won't work in France because they can't cope with 8k symbolling,  and some (maybe all) French boxes won't cope with the interactive stuff in the UK (I brought one back to Devon,  set it up on the UK settings,  and although it puts the channels in the "approved" order and produces the basic picture there's no "red button" interactivity.)

The main problem with TNT (and DTT) is that you need in most cases to get a stonking signal to the box.   Carcassonne is served by the Pic de Nore (sometimes called the Montagne Noire I think).    If you've never been up there it's the most beautiful place to visit,  I went for a visit to the tin-can style transmitter site, but in mid May the ground was an absolutely CARPET of wild pansies for several Ha.   Beautiful and with great views.

http://www.tdf.fr/tnt-cartes-couverture/

and choose your dept and commune for a coverage map.

There's no final decision about how digital will "replace" analogue in France although a "final" date for ASO (analogue switch off) has been set (for 2010 or 11,  can't remember which).   The last I heard the French were veering towards the UK plan, ie a region by region switch off after a period of dual running.

I'd come steaming in - my dear coops - on many many many other subjects if I knew the first thing about them.

Luckily I don't,  being something of a one-hit-wonder!

So I have of course to intervene in all debates on TNT to keep my post count up,  as you so astutely have observed!

I can cofirm Martin's Answer with my own experience. I came over with two TVs with in built Freeview tuners. The older of the two was a first generation tuner and is onlt able to deal with the 2K signal. Therefore, it does not get the French TNT transmissions. The second set - only a couple of years old, deals with the French TNT quite well. As Martin says - there is no 'Red Button' facility, but I'm not sure whether the French have that anyway (anyone know?) and it produces some slightly strange results when trying to decipher letters with French accents - apart from that, fine

Incidentally, I have a quite old Grundig Freeview digi-box and that just about deals with the TNT signals - it does, sometimes, put the channels in some strange order but I always thought it was an odd box anyay!

Tim

On a vaguely related

subject.. (hi-jack a topic… wot me??) can anyone else explain why my TNT

box (a generic Brico Depot one) doesn’t display the running news strap on NT1

(the French equivalent of BBC News 24). The ‘text’ button offers a menu which

displays ‘disabled’ but no ability to change its status as far as I can see,

nor is there anything in any of the menu sections to help either.

The text line appears on the bottom of the screen, but is static. I'm sure it should run because they are incomplete sentences!

p

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]

On a vaguely related subject.. (hi-jack a topic… wot me??) can anyone else explain why my TNT box (a generic Brico Depot one) doesn’t display the running news strap on NT1 (the French equivalent of BBC News 24). The ‘text’ button offers a menu which displays ‘disabled’ but no ability to change its status as far as I can see, nor is there anything in any of the menu sections to help either.
The text line appears on the bottom of the screen, but is static. I'm sure it should run because they are incomplete sentences!

p

[/quote]

NT1?  But, but, but... that's not a news channel, did you mean i tele (ch 16) or BFM TV (ch 15)?  They both have news straps, but they don't run, they are both static and replace the text every few seconds (or they were when I checked 5 minutes ago).  No missing text either.  The text button is for displaying teletext headings, for the channels that broadcast teletext, isn't it?

'twas the chatelaine in the chateau up the road.   Goodness knows how she bullied the factrice into sending it to the UK for nothing!  re the email it must have been onetel having one of its periodic "I can't send this anywhere" episodes.

I wonder if the incomplete sentences are down to watching a 14:9 pic on a 4:3 TV.   Don't know what TV you've got Paul....

[quote user="Cat"][quote user="Gyn_Paul"]

On a vaguely related subject.. (hi-jack a topic… wot me??) can anyone else explain why my TNT box (a generic Brico Depot one) doesn’t display the running news strap on NT1 (the French equivalent of BBC News 24). The ‘text’ button offers a menu which displays ‘disabled’ but no ability to change its status as far as I can see, nor is there anything in any of the menu sections to help either.

p

[/quote]

NT1?  But, but, but... that's not a news channel, did you mean i tele (ch 16) or BFM TV (ch 15)?  They both have news straps, but they don't run, they are both static and replace the text every few seconds (or they were when I checked 5 minutes ago).  No missing text either.  The text button is for displaying teletext headings, for the channels that broadcast teletext, isn't it?

[/quote]

You're probably right..I imagine I meant I-Tele (ch10). I was doing it from memory because the OH was glued to a docco about Ella Fitzgerald on BBC4 while I was typing... I'm generally confused about what there is on the TNT multiplex; largely because there seems to have been a reorganisation of the channels which wasn't helped by my re-making all the aerial connections and vertually doubling the signal strength and thus the number of channels disponible at a stroke (I still think I was only getting on one line of text, finger trouble no doubt !).

p

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]'twas the chatelaine in the chateau up the road.   Goodness knows how she bullied the factrice into sending it to the UK for nothing!  re the email it must have been onetel having one of its periodic "I can't send this anywhere" episodes.

I wonder if the incomplete sentences are down to watching a 14:9 pic on a 4:3 TV.   Don't know what TV you've got Paul....

[/quote]

It's an elderly and crummy Matsui 32"  (I know, I know... but it's still a better picture for non-HD pictures than any plasma at 4 x the price.) 16:9 or 1.77:1 - if my former boss is reading this. Its main and abiding failing is its inability to detect changes in format and switch automatically, so I was probably watching in some odd user setting which stretched the bottom line of text down into the casing.

Time was when I would have realised something like that......

re- emails... it's not just Onetel having a fit of the vapours. Yesterday I had two episodes of receiving a 'this email is undeliverable'  at the same time as I got a response from the recipient !

p

• 4 weeks later...