BAD RECEPTION ONLY AT LUNCH TIME WITH SKY SATELLITE ON BBC ETC.

THE RECEPTION AT BETWEEN 1200 AND 1400  CAN SOMETIMES GIVE DISTORTION AND PICTURE FREEZES.

IS THIS DUE TO COLD WEATHER OR BRIGHT SUN OR IS SATELLITE  PRONE TO THIS AT THIS TIME OF YEAR--I.E.VERY BRIGHT SUN

HAPPY XMAS TO ALL MY READERS .P.S.

WHAT IS A DUCK'S FAVOURITE MEAL AT THIS TIME OF THE YEAR??

WAIT

FOR

IT

CREAM CRACKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT,S A CRACKER!!!!!!!!!!![:D]

Hi Ab

Umm can I respectfully ask that you turn Caps lock off please.  All Caps looks like you're shouting and is more difficult to read.

Ok, i don't know what your Sat problem is but it's unlikely to be the sun.  The sun can be a problem near-ish the Spring and Vernal equinox as for a while it lines up directly behind the sats.  In Spain for example it has been know for this sunlight to be concentrated on the LNB and fry it.  Not at this time of year though.

Over to Martin.......

Sounds as if the LNB might be on the blink. Mine used to play up when it got hot in the sun - usually at the critical point in the cricket match I was watching! Check the signal strength -- services button then 4 then 6. If it has dropped from the usual level, that seems to be the problem. They are not too expensive to replace.

Not sure I can add too much.   Certainly not the effect of the sun being "near" the desired satellite - as Pierre says that's a problem for October and late February,   and is pretty rare nowadays,   perhaps because LNB design has improved (and dishes have got smaller).

Just BBC?   What about ITV?  Shopping channels?

Is there anything switched on only at lunchtimes?   DECT phone in use?  

Odd.

Possibilities :

Include the LNB, thing on the end of the arm, is ending its useful life.

The heat,  I use the term loosely of the Haute Vienne at this time off year, of the midday sun causes a connection of fitting to expand either moving the arm out of focus or disconnecting the cable. ( pretty unlikely)

Has Sky in 87 for years without having a problem. There are reports from countries further South such as Spain and Cyprus of midday sun being a problem due to the sun being reflected at the LNB but not in 87

Well our house is 50 miles south of Limoges so if you still have problems when we get back in the spring I'll come and look!

Seriously,  I would try and borrow someone else's box and try it on your dish.   Try your box on someone else's dish. 

But it is odd that it's a lunchtime problem.

This rare and poorly documented phenomenon is due to French manufactured LNBs taking a lunch break. The time period mentioned is too much of a coincidence for there to be any other explanation...[;-)]

If it is not a French LNB, then I don't know the answer.

Seriously, though, we are about 150 Km south of Limoges and have had no lunchtime problems.  There have been picture freezes in the morning and evening, but we cured that by unplugging the box from the mains for 30 seconds and restarting, after which all was well.  Have you tried that?

Chris