channel 4 and 5

Hi,

Having recently cancelled my SKY contract now that I am France resident, I have seen a huge list of FTA channels that I am able to receive. However, can someone enlighten me with regard to Channels 4 and 5. Do I need a card or not. My SKY viewing card will obviously be turned off as of tomorrow (30/12/07) and I would like to know ASAP what the rules are for these 2 channels.

thanks

cartref

As a single senior citizen I realised that the £516 I was spending per annum was proportionately the highest bill I paid!!  Plus the fact that after a 2 week examination of my personal viewing patterns revealed that 80% was FTA channels and only 20% SKY (mostly sport as I am footie/golf addict). Do the maths, why pay that amount of money. It will also pay my taxe d'hab and fonciere instead[:)] and probably force me to get in the garden more often and get to grips with my French language course!

cheers

cartref

As long as you don't tell Sky that you're going to be in France,   you can hang on to your present card (as has been  said earlier) which continues to decode ch 4 and ch 5 when inserted in your box.   Don't do what one of our customers did and dutifully send the card back when you cancel;  this lost her her only method of receiving ch 4 and 5 in a deep valley in Cornwall.

We are hoping to dump Sky after Christmas (we pay 12 x £21) and realise that the only channel we watch now is UK Drama and it'd be cheaper to buy the DVD's of the few things we haven't seen.

There is some talk that Sky cards will be swapped out in 2008 in which case your legacy cards will stop working,   but having said that there is reasonable optimism that ch 4 will go free to air anyway in the autumn when its encryption contract expires,  and I've yet to meet anyone who admits to watching ch 5!

....  whoops,   I shouldn't have said anything about FIVE should I?

Actually,   I do remember coops saying something about ita while back. 

I unconditionally withdraw all remarks about ch 5!!

It'll be interesting to see whether ch 5 tries to go FTA if/when ch 4 do;   or if they just roll over to Sky and become part of the bouquet.