Norton Anti virus 2008 problems

Hi,

Downloaded the new trial version of Norton AV software 2008 this morning (already have Norton on PC). Since then I have been trying to forward some e-mails which Norton stops me from doing. I have had numerous e-mails from their technical help people to no avail. They told me to switch off the Outgoing Mail Scanner and that hasn't done any good either. Now I get a message "554 message refused" with a code of 0x800ccc6f. Anybody able to help please?  If I decide to get another AV software download, presumably I uninstall Norton first????  [8-)]

thanks in advance of a simple solution [:)] (silver surf of senior years!!)[:(]

cartref

Grr.. Norton is very piggy, imo.  I was advised several years ago by a computer guru, to leave the thing well alone as it is so over-zealous (no doubt in fear of being sued or something) that it does this sort of thing a lot.  I immediately removed it from my PC and installed AVG free and it has been trouble free since.

I don't know what the code means but when I had a similar problem (Outlook Express related in my case) a very sensible person on here (Tenniswitch, I think) suggested that I google the error code - this I did and it got me into a very anoraky forum thread which explained all, and my problem was solved.  Worth a try.

Norton AV is a pain, and can be a pain to remove, too.  Download the removal tool from the Symantec website and follow the directions for using it (obviously you can ignore all the directions for reinstalling it later if you're planning to switch to AVG).

There may still be some bits and pieces lurking in your registry, but they shouldn't cause you any further problems.

Strong words L&R but perhaps a tad OTT when you consider that NIS 2008 has been voted "best buy" by 2 of the UK's most popular PC magazines this Month, however I do agree with you in principal that Norton is an AV Suite too far and IMO no longer worthy of the previously prestigious and respected Norton name which rapidly lost it's way and went downhill after Symantec bought it a few years ago.

The fundamental problem with it is that is such a massive resource hog consuming, according to one review, a phenomenal 247Mb of memory, and with many PC's only having 1Gb of RAM in the first place, and frequently less, it doesn't take a genius to work out what effect this is likely to have on overall performance. For comparison AVG is currently taking under 2Mb on my system here.

Another problem is that it it digs itself into the very darkest hidden corners of Windows and can often appear to cause as many problems as it sets out to solve on top of which it can be almost impossible to get completely rid of short of a complete reinstall.

On a general point, I tend to view many reviews with a jaundiced eye because it's one thing installing a programme on squeaky clean laboratory machines for comparative testing but can be a completely different proposition on say a 3 year old install of Windows the likes of which a good many people are still likely to running.

Some very good information coming out here about anti-virus software. For my money, because it enables to me to hang on to it (the money, that is), it's another vote for Free AVG.

Over the years I've installed it on many of my own machines but more recently I've put it on this brand new Vista laptop which came pre-installed with three months free subscription to a well know anti-virus programme. Even this wonderfully generous offer did not sway me from the path of free AVG.

Looking back, I suppose I've installed, or helped others to install, AVG on 20 or 30 home computers and all are still running well. Most of these machines either had a previously installed anti-virus of another persuasion, or in quite a few cases, no anti-virus at all and AVG has worked well on all of them.

In short, the only anti-virus programme problems I've had is trying to sort out problems caused by the programme itself, normally in trying to remove them.

Tim