MOBILE PHONE WARNING

Hi,

I shall avoid mentioning the name of the mobile phone company as this post will be deleted but it would be perfectly proper for me to do so as the following is accurate and I have the paperwork to prove it....  suffice to say that the company it is aimed at Brits in France and has mobile packages. If you need to know the name please ask privately.

The company has been offering mobile services for about 3 years.  The service involves the customer paying 50€ deposit for a simm card and thereafter 11€ per month for the service along with call charges.  If the coustomer changes to another company they return the card and get back the 50€...  So far so good.

The company now though has changed its mobile plans and is offering what they claim to be a very cheap package (frankly it is not, the price of texts to the UK for example are 38c and to France are 15c...  Compare this with L'ecrec's new 'pay as you go' package which costs 1.50€ per month and texts to the UK are 15c and to France 9c....  Also the credit is good for 12 months, not the usual 2...    But I digress....)  The point of this post is not value for money.

The point is, if you are offered your new package with the firm in question they tell you to throw away your old simm card!!!!  The card they hold your 50€ deposit for????

When I called them they told me that it was all fine because they give the existing coustomer a 49€ offer when they switch packages.... 

Funny that because in the letter they sent me it claimed the 49€ was 'a reward for loyalty'.  So the 50€ deposit disapears if you follow their advice. 

Hope you find this helpful.

Hi,

Interesting point. as I am just looking at French pay-as-you-go contracts. I went into an Orange shop, only to be told that PAYG cards only last a max of one month, which is of no use to me.

I have looked for L'ecrec on the internet but can't find it - do you know anytjing else about this PAYG scheme, and where I can find it?

Thanks

Richard

The Leclerc offer looks very good on the face of it and will no doubt suit many people on this forum, particularly as the top-ups last 12 months, regardless of their value, and it is possible to buy top ups from anywhere - even overseas. It is easy to miss the fact that the service costs 1.50€ per month, so if you buy a 10€ top up it will have almost run out after six months even if you make no calls at all.

I think it is still very good value, probably the best you will get in France, but worth pointing that out, I think.

[quote user="Richard"]

Hi,

Interesting point. as I am just looking at French pay-as-you-go contracts. I went into an Orange shop, only to be told that PAYG cards only last a max of one month, which is of no use to me.

I have looked for L'ecrec on the internet but can't find it - do you know anytjing else about this PAYG scheme, and where I can find it?

Thanks

Richard

[/quote]

Pop into their store and they have leaflets and you can uy one over the counter.  Beware though that calls are 38c per minute.  We tend only to use text so it is very cheap..  The 12 month validity is a new thing in France...

[quote user="Will"]

The Leclerc offer looks very good on the face of it and will no doubt suit many people on this forum, particularly as the top-ups last 12 months, regardless of their value, and it is possible to buy top ups from anywhere - even overseas. It is easy to miss the fact that the service costs 1.50€ per month, so if you buy a 10€ top up it will have almost run out after six months even if you make no calls at all.

I think it is still very good value, probably the best you will get in France, but worth pointing that out, I think.

[/quote]

If you buy a card (on initial purchase) and pay 50€ you automatically get 15€ added value... That equates to almost a year of 'line rental'.....