I am looking to get a French mobile and am thinking of going on a contract. With pay as you go there seems to be so many problems with the expiry time. I have a leaflet on Tele2 which offers 30mins for 12.50Euros per month. Has anybody any experience of them, or can anybody recommend another?

aj

Sorry but my french is not good enough to read the link Clare.  I too need french mobile phones, my daughter has told me that it would be better to get a sim contract in france and buy a cheap phone in UK as phones in France are very expensive.  I dont know how true this is and would appreciate any input.

[quote user="Just Katie"]

Sorry but my french is not good enough to read the link Clare.  I too need french mobile phones, my daughter has told me that it would be better to get a sim contract in france and buy a cheap phone in UK as phones in France are very expensive.  I don't know how true this is and would appreciate any input.

[/quote]

To put it simply.

1: You can buy a Sim card for €15 put it your own phone and that's it.

2: Buy a Sim card + €50 credit and only pay €50 (making the Sim card free).

3: Buy the Sim card + €50 credit + phone for €65 (if you don't want the standard phone as supplied) you can get €30 off a phone of your choice instead.

Take all your paperwork (proof of residence identity etc.) with you when you go to Leclerc and register the Sim card straight away, very simple.

If you have a mobile phone already you can keep your old number full details on the website.

If you make a top up within 12 months all your credit is carried forward for another 12 months.

I hope I haven't missed anything.

I've just this minute done this. I had already unlocked my old UK phone with codes from the internet and had been using it as an ordinary PAYG on the SFR network for a while. 

This morning I took my phone, along with all the paperwork previously mentioned, and bought the €50 package. In the shop I changed over the sim and it was working in a few minutes.

When I check, I now have €55 of credit and this is valid until June 2009. It does, of course, cost  €1.50 a month which is deducted from your credit, but in my opinion, it's better than loosing credit when your time expires.

Regards - Tim

P.S. I didn't bother 'porting' my old number over as not many people had it, but this service is available as has been said earlier.

Hi

We recently bought a Leclerc Sim and it works really well for us. It was costing us such a lot to use our UK mobiles when we are in France, paying to receive and send, and also we found french artisans and delivery people reluctant to call a UK mobile. We were put off getting a french Sim before because of losing the unused credit but the twelve month credit time more than makes up for the 1.50 euro monthly charge.

We used it during our last visit and we were really pleased - it cost nothing to receive calls or texts from the UK.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Does porting work from a UK network to a French one?

Obviously the country code would change from +44 to +33 but would they accept say an UK Orange 0786 999999 number?

[/quote]

I wouldn't imagine for one moment that any network would do that. Although the name Orange is common to both countries, there the similarity ends. In addition, the number of digits in the phone numbers is different in the two countries.Also, each country has it's own system for issuing numbers, so it's likely that the number you would like, ignoring for the moment account the varying number of digits, may already have been issued.

Tim