Orange livebox problem!

• 8 months later...
[quote user="tj"]

Hi

Thanks for your replies,

after much messing around with the damn thing, I went and got a new box, and we're back in business!

And they filed a report for the engineer to come out and check the local distribution board to see if they can sort out the problem of losing the signal when it rains, so a fairly productive day, in French terms anyway!

thanks alot

[/quote]

How easy is it to get a livebox changed?  I have just subscribed to the Orange phone service and it is not working.  I get a dial tone with loads of other noise in the background and it does not dial out or receive calls.  Can I just take the box to an FT shop and they will exchange it?  The box is 3 years old and the wireless gave up the ghost about 1.5 years ago and when I tried to call Orange, they could not help unless I went through the full tech support in French and unfortunately my French was not up to it (and is still not).  If I go into a store, can they check and then replace it there and then?

Are you still paying a monthly rental on the Livebox? If yes, then take it to your local FT shop you may be lucky. If not then dump it.

You can buy a new livebox for a reasonable sum from various outlets, if you want to use the internet phone.

Yes I still pay the monthly rental.  I have seen liveboxes for sale in HyperU (but you I thought you had to sign up for a contract), can I just buy one and swap it for the old one?  I have thought about doing this before but was never sure, if the livebox had to be registered or something.

The correct procedure is to phone FT and go through the setup on the phone with them and test it etc.

However, a couple of months ago a storm hit the house and whacked the livebox (so we thought). Wouldn't work at all, so we just drove to the FT shop and they checked it there and then (actually they made us jump the queue for some reason, the place was packed, the bloke stopped testing someone elses livebox and tested ours instead). Anyway, the upshot of it was, the power cord had been fried by the lightning, the box was ok, so they gave us a new lead and away we went. Simple. We'll continue doing that in future, after all procedures are there to be broken!

We had a similar problem S, but ours was intermittent wifi failure. We took over L/box into FT Carcassonne and the woman plugged it into their system and pronounced that there was nowt wrong and she wouldn't change it. I explained that it was intermittent, but no change there! So we went and found  a supervisor that we know speaks English, explained the situation again and he said no problems and it was changed. The lady was not too impressed [:D].

We also went in with a mate of mine who doesn't speak French. They checked his out, no wifi, and the box was changed with no problems. His was a Sagem and I asked for it to be replaced with am Inventel and this was done with good grace. I didn't have to jump through any telephone call hoops in either case, just straight into the shop.

If anyone still has any doubts about the difference between the phone plugged into the Livebox and the one plugged int the normal line then this is how they work.

VOIP = voice over internet protocol. In France this number starts 09. This means that when you make a call via the Livebox it is made via the internet and it is sent as a digital signal. It then pops out of the internet system when it arrives in the country you are calling. It is then converted to an analog signal that an 'ordinary' telephone can understand.

Normal phone. This sends an analog signal over the phone lines and can be used to phone a VOIP phone connected to a Livebox. A normal phone, answerphone, fax or any other normal analog equipment must be connected through a filter.

I hadn't realised that you can use one phone for the 2 'lines'. We have 2 phones and it is very handy because it means that we still have the facility to phone out even if the normal phone is receiving a call.

If you want to check the independance of the 2 phones then you can call the VOIP phone from the normal phone and vice versa.

Filters. You need a filter plugged into each phone socket that has anything connected to it. You do not need a filter in every socket in the house! An ADSL (broadband) enabled line has 2 signals on it.One is analog and the other is digital. You need the filter to filter the digital signal out and leave only the analog signal for your normal phone. Any ADSL equipment is plugged into the RJ11, little socket, in the bottom of the filter and this just picks up the digital signal.

You can also change the configuration of the box so that instead of having just 1 ethernet connection and 1 TV connection you can change the TV connector so that you can have 2 ethernet connections and 2 computers plugged into the Livebox. If you would like to know how to do this then PM me and I will give you the details. It is quite simple to do. If you use your laptop on wifi and are worried about it being hacked then a second ethernet connection will give you complete peace of mind. Not that wifi isn't pretty secure if you have it set correctly!

I hope that this has cleared some of the misunderstandings that are had with this bit of kit.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

We also went in with a mate of mine who doesn't speak French. They checked his out, no wifi, and the box was changed with no problems. His was a Sagem and I asked for it to be replaced with am Inventel and this was done with good grace. I didn't have to jump through any telephone call hoops in either case, just straight into the shop.

[/quote]

Are Inventel boxes better?  We have a Sagem.

Also, can I go to any FT shop, since according to their website, there are a few near me.

• 2 weeks later...
Took myself to the Orange shop today and they exchanged my Livebox without question, since the man classed it as Ancien:).  So I know have a mini Sagem livebox and all seems well.  Does anybody know if you can change the language to English on the mini Sagem Liveboxes?

You will need to go into the configuration pages. Just trype in 192.168.1.1 into your browser address bar and that will bring up the Sagem, in your case, config screen.

Click n the Configuration pages access (restricted access, protected by password).  to get to the password window. User name and password are both 'admin' (all lower case)

Click on Configuration and then Languages and Bob's yer uncle!!

While you are there, if you want to be able to use 2 PCs on ethernet connections and you don't have the TV over ADSL option then click on 'My Services' in the top left and change TV Over ADSL to Disabled. Then you can use both of the ethernet connections...

Good 'ere init![:D]

I have just realised that if you click on the link above that takes you to the pages then just follow the instructions!!

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

You will need to go into the configuration pages. Just trype in 192.168.1.1 into your browser address bar and that will bring up the Sagem, in your case, config screen.

Click n the Configuration pages access (restricted access, protected by password).  to get to the password window. User name and password are both 'admin' (all lower case)

Click on Configuration and then Languages and Bob's yer uncle!!

While you are there, if you want to be able to use 2 PCs on ethernet connections and you don't have the TV over ADSL option then click on 'My Services' in the top left and change TV Over ADSL to Disabled. Then you can use both of the ethernet connections...

Good 'ere init![:D]

I have just realised that if you click on the link above that takes you to the pages then just follow the instructions!!

[/quote]

the above probably also applies to the new livebox mini which Sharkster is now using. There is a possibility that it is different though.

Danny

This may have been addressed before but I cannot find any reference to it on the Forum. I have just got the Livebox. Setting up the ethernet was no problem but when I came to set up the Wi Fi the problems began. Eventually I managed to configure my software, I am using an Asus lap top with their integrated Wi Fi software, when I apply the settings I get the message "Acquiring Network Address". This goes on and on. At the moment on my Wi Fi icon on the toolbar I have a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark on it. Sums it up for me!!!! So everything works, I find the Livebox and so on, just cannot make that final leap. I am not a techie so if you can help simple words work for me!!

Can anyone help?

When you are trying to aquire the wifi connection have you pressed the aquire button on the livebox. If it's an Inventel press button 1 on the back, if it's a Sagem the button is the smal one on the underside at one end (not sure which end). The wifi light will flash for about 10 mins. You also have to enter the security key on the PC.

Hope this helps?