TV playing up: repair or replace?

Our TV has been playing up for yonks, where the screen goes and stays bright magenta a few minutes after it is switched on.

The colour cast disappears if we switch the tv off, then back on, but sometimes we have to repeat this several times before getting a stable and normal image colour.

Does anyone know if this fault could be repaired or should we start looking at a replacement before an ultimate demise?

The reason for asking is that I could be very very tempted to buy a large LCD tv with currently reduced by €200 as a replacement. It would be an improvement, technology-wise, however we have been very happy with the existing tv and if it can be easily/cheaply repaired, that would be the way to go.

So, save or spend? [:)]

I recently bought a 32 inch Sony TV from eBay in the UK - five years old.  It originally cost over a grand, I picked it up for £54.  Personally, I think the picture on a good cathode ray set beats a cheap LCD any day.   Because people are upgrading to HD, there are heaps of tellies available, so if you can source one from the UK you will find a bargain. 

[quote user="dr orloff"]I think the picture on a good cathode ray set beats a cheap LCD any day. Because people are upgrading to HD, there are heaps of tellies available, so if you can source one from the UK you will find a bargain. [/quote]

Not an option, I'm afraid...

You need to know make and model and approxiamate age to make any informed judgement. Could be as simple as unplugging, earthing the system and removing cleaning the connection and reseating a Printed Cicuit Board. Probably worth using Google to find out what the various forums on the web say. You then have the problem of finding anybody who does repairs. Colour CRT TV were well over £ 400 when they were first introduced on the 1960s. At that price repairs were financially viable, they are less than that in cash terms and labour and parts are disproportionately more expensive.

[quote user="Anton Redman"]Probably worth using Google to find out what the various forums on the web say.[/quote]

A google search suggests a "faulty degauss positor" [blink][8-)] as a possible cause.

Would that make sense?

I will try and contact the (very busy) local tv repair man, but  would still welcome any suggestion... please? [:)]

Clair, if you do buy an LCD haunted fish tank then don't go for a cheapie. The main component in them is a white lamp that does the back lighting of the screen. In the cheepeyz this a lump of pony poo norally and will not last long, maybe a couple of years, before it starts to dim. The other thing to do is to look at the picture, in the shop, fom the sides. It can change colour and birlliance considerably on some makes.

We went for a Sony Bravia 32 inch and it is a good bit of kit and you can watch it from almost any angle as long as it's not from the back[8-)][:-))]. We only have terrestial TV and with this one we get 18 or 20 digital channels that we don't watch very much instead of just 5 1/2 (Channel+ is the other 1/2).

The degauser is the bit that removes any residual magnetic field that can effect the picture quality. There now you know [:D][kiss][blink]!!

Age makes it go rong. A bit like me really. I wonder if I need degausing [8-)]?

The one we're considering is a Philips 37" LCD with TNT (not that we can get it here!)and full HD specs.

Like our existing "traditional" Philips, it can be viewed at an angle, but as it has a horizontal swivel support and is not going to be on the wall, it is not vital.

there is an offer of €200 off until the end of next week and it seems a good opportunity, as the old one is playing up... but not if it can be repaired for much that much!

Claire,  have you thought about asking a local shop like Gitem ( or even the shop that has the new TV on offer), for a Devis for the likely cost of a repair ?  

My local guy charges 15 euros for a Devis and if I accept he knocks it off the final facture.

Then at least you would know the cost of the repair and wether it's a viable option or not, and if you are going to buy a new one you may even get a further discount.

I wouldn't jump too fast into special offers on TV's because often they are selling off either old stock or outdated /superceeded models. I would recommend Darty ( either on line  or you local store ), excellent service and a huge choice.

Thanks Punch.

Our local repairman is a Philips agent and I'll go to him tomorrow to explain the problem.

In any case, I doubt he'll be able to match the special offer.

Funnily enough, we were in Darty Brive yesterday. The same model is selling at full price, but as it's on offer elsewhere €200 cheaper, it would make sense to buy there![:D]

EDIT: this LCD appears to be very recent (June 08)

Thanks for that Anton.

No speakers near the tv, but we wonder if dust, cold or damp could be a cause?

We know that there were traces of damp in that corner a few years ago after the wall was repointed. No visible sign now though, and there is plenty of room all round the set.

Dust-wise, we can see dust inside the set. Would it be safe to open and vacuum gently?

As the problem only occurs at start-up, could a cold environment be a cause?

Quick update:

thank you very much Anton for the cleaning advice.

Mr Clair removed the back and hoovered gently wherever he could reach. He also used a dust removal spray to dislodge the more tenacious bits of fluff.

The good news is that the telly hasn't played up since [:D] (touch wood, fingers crossed and all that)

Oh! and Mr Clair is still alive![:P]

[quote user="Clair"]

The good news is that the telly hasn't played up since [:D] (touch wood, fingers crossed and all that)

Oh! and Mr Clair is still alive![:P]
[/quote]

Are you sure that's good news ? - About the telly, (not Mr Clair of course ! ) [6]

That new Philips LCD looks a long way off now - I blame Anton ! [:)]