Well I've finally moved to the DARK side.

Welcome to the Enlightened Ones ! Your daughter's definitely got her head screwed on. There's nothing better.

But just wait - those PC users will spring to the defence of Bill Gates and his motley crew !

Mac is so easy - one click where PC need 4.....yes, I know PC is getting more modern, but there's something special about a Mac.

My son keeps telling me to move the dark side as well. He keeps showing me how easy everything is... and I must admit the ease of use is tempting.... this is despite his not being the most reliable bit of kit ever.  I get tempted but they always seem a bit pricy for what they are.

[quote user="Callie"]Mac is so easy - one click where PC need 4[/quote]And how many clicks is it for the equivalent of a single PC mouse right click ?

[quote user="Callie"]but there's something special about a Mac.[/quote]No question about that, price is the obvious one which instantly springs to mind [blink]

[quote user="DerekJ"] I get tempted but they always seem a bit pricy for what they are.[/quote]

Yes, they are a bit more expensive than cheap PCs, but remember, everything is included with a Mac.  And remember the old saying "You get what you pay for".   You won't have problems with a Mac - how many people can say that they have never had a problem with their PC ?

Mac is really simple and uncomplicated.  When you buy your machine, you get the latest software.  You don't have to choose between a professional, student's or whatever - it's all the same ! 

No, I'm not a salesman ! !

So if Mac's are sooooooooooooo good why do they offer MS emulators on them.......probably because there are no programs for them!!!! OK so I'm a MCSE so I feel that PC's are the way forward. Macs are faster, not so many viruses but expensive and if they go wrong, which they do, a nightmare to find anyone who can fix them.  

[quote user="Callie"] You won't have problems with a Mac - how many people can say that they have never had a problem with their PC ?

[/quote]

In my earlier post I hinted at the fact that my son's machine had had some problems. I don't think he would go along with your "no problems" comment. The shopping list on his to date has been:

hard drive failed/replaced,

battery failure/replaced

motherboard replaced

CD/DVD drive failure

Not quite the perfect machine they are sometimes painted as! [:(][:)]

...to be compatible with PC.  Are PCs automatically compatible with Mac ????

There are plenty of Mac dealers in France - even a small town like Saumur has one !  But Macs don't go wrong like PCs - and if you have, as we did, a burn out of the motherboard after a power surge (in spite of a protector) the insurance pays up instantly ! 

You will rarely hear someone who says "I love my PC" but Mac users are all alike in their love of the little apple !

[quote user="Callie"]Derek - at least the insurance should have paid up ?????  Your son was unlucky.  Yes it can happen, but I've heard of far more problems concerning PCs than Macs !

Nobody's perfect......[;-)]

[/quote]

Callie. In my son's case he was covered by the extended warranty he got as a student... fortunately.

As far as overall reliability goes between PC and mac I don't know the figures. I'd expect to hear of more PC failures given that there must be many more PCs than macs in use.

I agree that you can just be unlucky but I do have a feeling that macs are hyped up to be more reliable than they actually are... anecdotal I know, but I have a couple of friends who also love their macs but have had reliability problems with them.

[quote user="Callie"]...to be compatible with PC.  Are PCs automatically compatible with Mac ????[/quote]Why would you want one to be. MAC's probably represent less than 5% of the overall PC/Laptop market so what would be the point ?

The few people I know who have bought MAC's only did so because of the switch to Intel and the emergence of Bootcamp which meant they could run Windows on it and therefore benefit from the plethora of software there is for that OS.

[quote user="Callie"]and if you have, as we did, a burn out of the motherboard after a power surge (in spite of a protector) the insurance pays up instantly ! [/quote]Not necessarily an Apple exclusive is it, depends on the individual insurance policy surely ?

[quote user="Callie"]You will rarely hear someone who says "I love my PC" but Mac users are all alike in their love of the little apple ![/quote]They don't have to as they aren't trying to prove anything. Most MAC users are akin to members of a religious cult and simply won't hear a bad word uttered [6]

[quote user="Callie"]Derek - at least the insurance should have paid up ?????  Your son was unlucky.  Yes it can happen, but I've heard of far more problems concerning PCs than Macs !

Nobody's perfect......[;-)]

[/quote]

Of course you would. Far more people own a pc than a mac.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, at the end of the day they are only tools for doing things.

Blimey BB did you bring the forum down with your new toy yesterday??? I kept getting all sorts of error messages saying that an unidentified bit of fruite that make cider had screwed the server or something[8-)]

I think I will hide when you anounce your next new toy [:-))]!!

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Blimey BB did you bring the forum down with your new toy yesterday??? I kept getting all sorts of error messages saying that an unidentified bit of fruite that make cider had screwed the server or something[8-)]

I think I will hide when you anounce your next new toy [:-))]!!

[/quote]

I was thinking just the same.... these mac users,  I don't know, what can you do with them? [:'(][:P][:D]