Part time connection!!!

Hello, we are considering getting a tel line and internet, but, we are not living at our home in france full time, and I thought I read somewhere that you could have a line installed, and then whenever you visit your home you contacted the provider and they plugged your line in ! then on departure they unplugged it, not explaining this very well, does anyone understand what I am trying to explainConfused [8-)], or am I getting confused with some other utility provider.

We have a telephone line called residence secondaire.

this means you can turn it on and off during the year.

we also have internet with orange called a la carte which means you can disconnect it for up to six months and still keep your e mail address.

very small charge for this facility:the phone bit 4 euros i think and nothing for the internet connection.

we go through torment twice a year as we struggle to get this sorted. i mean, how can you phone them to reconnect if you don't have a phone?

but it does save us a lot of money (about 250euros a year) and we have the satisfaction of not paying for something we aren't using.

Polremy, thanks for the info, just need to know a couple of things, what sort of speed are we talking with the internet, is it SLOW Cooker or QUICK stir fry, et voila! Is the internet/phone reliable, (excluding  bad weather, when everything goes to POT) hubby needs tobe contactable and have a reliable source of communication.

Sorry to keep on, but this is the last bit, what does one need to open up one of these accounts, apart from an address in France....

Thanks for taking your time to answer....

Liz

PS, weather here in West Susex is 'orrible

It looks as if the Orange Internet à la carte has been 'developed' into 'Découverte Internet' for new ADSL subscriptions - this costs from 24.90€ per month (according to speed) with no contract period or cancellation fees, and is available at 1 meg or 8 meg (at 5€ extra cost); i.e. as fast as your line can handle. Ordinary dial-up is still available with no fees other than paying for time spent on line.

You can open FT/Orange accounts with an address in France and a French bank account or bank card.

Weather in France is no better.

I have had Découverte Internet for 5 months now, and although I can cancel my residence secondaire line, I can't (as far as I'm aware) cancel the internet, so have to keep paying the 24.90 a month even when the line is suspended. If anyone knows better please let me know!

All you need do is to change the connection to dial-up on line just before you leave, which will therefore cost you nothing each month. When you return just change it again to Haut Debit.

The phone line can be cancelled also by either phoning the France Telecom English line or by opening a France Telecom account on line.

[quote user="Polremy"]We have a telephone line called residence secondaire. this means you can turn it on and off during the year. we also have internet with orange called a la carte which means you can disconnect it for up to six months and still keep your e mail address. very small charge for this facility:the phone bit 4 euros i think and nothing for the internet connection. we go through torment twice a year as we struggle to get this sorted. i mean, how can you phone them to reconnect if you don't have a phone? but it does save us a lot of money (about 250euros a year) and we have the satisfaction of not paying for something we aren't using.[/quote]

I turn on my telephone via internet just before leaving for France.

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone have the France Telecom English speaking phone number? I would like to persuade them to allow me to change my line to a secondaire. The email address which could be used would be helpful too. It seems wrong to be spending so much for a service we are not taking advantage of.