Cannot find downloads

Sorry if this has been brought up before, cannot find it in "search" mode.  Without getting involved in a Vista War (!)  until yesterday I had been getting on OK with it, started with Home now using Intégrale, with IE8.  Suddenly I cannot find anything that I download.  Have let Vista decide which folder to put it in, have taken off AVG (which some say cause the fault), have disactivated and activated the UAC , have tried to load to a USB key,  all without success.  I can watch the file load, it will even delete the original file if I am loading it to the same place as a previous version, but does not show the new one.  Have tried "run" instead of "save" when downloading an application, but nothing happens.  Have Googled and found many with the same problem but no effective solution (its also said to be a problem with Firefox too!)

Would appreciate any advice, its driving me mad.

Are you saying that your downloads are not in your "my received files" folder, within the documents folder?

If you use the Start button in the Vista desktop, are they not in your Recent Documents (in the grey section to the right of the start menu)? 

The downloads are nowhere, not in the folder I send them to nor in the "téléchargement" folder in the names user (admin) section (there is only one user, at admin level).  Until yesterday, I had no problem in sending download files to any folder, drive or USB key.  Have just tried a download on a second computer I have running another version of Vista and it put it straight on the designated USB key, no problem (although it is to use a second computer just for downloads!).

When, for example I tried downloading 8 megs to a USB key with 20megs already on, the computer goes through the full download sequence, but when you examine the USB drive, there is still 20 megs on it, not 28!

I did notice that on the second computer, Vista appears to put the download in a temporary location before transferring to the designated location, something I cannot see happening now on the problem computer.

Its not always easy to be sure, but to my knowledge I have not altered any of the normal configurations, not installed any download managers etc.

[quote user="tenniswitch"]Have you tried saving to the desktop first?[/quote]

A cool move tw; you can see it immediately and install directly from the desktop. When finished delete to waste-bin, no need with ADSL to accumulate files , just repeat download if required.

A PC with a french operating system will often generate folders with different names causing confusion. CDex for example will in default  generate and stick everything in My Music rather than Ma Musique.[:D]

Have tried saving the files in several different locations. Althought, taking the point in a post above, my French Vista was allegedly saving the downloaded files in c:\user\...\temporary file which is strange as that is in English whereas the usual locations are in French.

Having given up last night, when I booted up this morning, everything works as it did before - downloads saved where I want them.  I changed nothing!   Confirms my suspicion that all computers are female and so their reasons for doing things are beyond the understanding of a mere man! 

[quote user="Lehaut"]

Have tried saving the files in several different locations. Althought, taking the point in a post above, my French Vista was allegedly saving the downloaded files in c:\user\...\temporary file which is strange as that is in English whereas the usual locations are in French.

Having given up last night, when I booted up this morning, everything works as it did before - downloads saved where I want them.  I changed nothing!   Confirms my suspicion that all computers are female and so their reasons for doing things are beyond the understanding of a mere man! 

[/quote]

As most computers and software are designed by males, your logic escapes me [:D], but I agree that when a computer starts acting weird, it often helps to reboot.