Returned emails

Its been covered before but seems to be a .fr problem with overzealous spam filters. Get your friends to add your email address to their 'always allow' list and it should be OK.

Alternatively, set up a .com address from Google (gmail) or Hotmail.

Thanks S&P and to Bugs.

I did a google and it would appear that it is a long standing problem with Yahoo, although I have only just experienced it this last couple of weeks or so.

Bugs, I did have a look at my own email thingy, so that I might appear intelligent when advising my friends, but couldn't see where I could "always allow emails".  I can see how to block users, in fact I have about 60 blocked words as well, but couldn't see how to allow emails.  Would you mind using the numpty guide to advise where I might find such a tool?

[quote user="Weedon"]

Bugs, I did have a look at my own email thingy, so that I might appear intelligent when advising my friends, but couldn't see where I could "always allow emails".  I can see how to block users, in fact I have about 60 blocked words as well, but couldn't see how to allow emails.  Would you mind using the numpty guide to advise where I might find such a tool?

[/quote]

It varies with different programs. I use an iMac and 'Entourage' and in that you go into 'Tools -Junk Email Protection - Safe Domains'. In there you can place all email addresses you wish to allow.

Most programs have something similar.

I believe that merely adding addresses to your address book can work as well, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Gary.

Bugs.  Thanks for your advice.  As a quick fix I have now got a Yahoo address.

I did look in my existing email doobry (Outlook Express) and looked at Help.  In there it does explain how to allow messages to come through but that part is [greyed out] and cannot be selected.  Perhaps it is something to do with emails coming through via Orange, then into Outlook Express?  Anyway it is all academic because the friends emails that are bouncing my messages may not use Outlook Express.

The sun is now shining and as somebody once said "Life is too short to stuff mushrooms" but many thanks for your help anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
It is a long-standing problem. The short version is, that the majority of spam produced in Europe, originates from a samll number of users with Orange as there ISP in France. Yahoo generally (unless specifically allowed as a trustworthy source by your contactor) blocks all [email protected] originated emails. Orange say they are doing all they can to combat the problem, then decide on occasions to block emails to their customers originating from [email protected]/com. And so the problem continues. I had been tearing my hair out with the futility of it all, then decided to sign up for a [email protected] email account to contact all yahoo and hotmail addresses. Problem (for me) solved.

In Outlook change the account settings to..

outgoing   smtp-msa.orange.fr

Under more settings.. advanced  set the outgoing server SMTP to 587

You should then find everything is OK. I could not send to any tiscali.co.uk addresses until I read this advice somewhere. All works OK now.

Got it Bilbo, I have asked for my post to be removed.

My e-mail address is @wanadoo.fr at the moment. By going to msa.orange.fr I assume that I will have to change my e-mail address to that setting?

Edit :- I had forgot to state that the OS is Vista and Windows Mail for the e-mail.

[quote user="Bilbo"]In Outlook change the account settings to..
outgoing   smtp-msa.orange.fr

Under more settings.. advanced  set the outgoing server SMTP to 587

You should then find everything is OK. I could not send to any tiscali.co.uk addresses until I read this advice somewhere. All works OK now.
[/quote]

I have now done that Bilbo and now I will see what happens when I try another bouncer? Thanks mate!