What mobile package should I choose?

I only need a mobile for occasional use here in France, but as I'm off back to the UK for 6 weeks soon, I've decided I ought to get a French mobile, but don't want to spend the earth for something I will only use once in a while normally.  I've got a comparatively new phone, from my UK contract which I cancelled just before I came out.  I know payg is probably the most ecomonical, but when I had one of theose before I found I couldn't top up whilst overseas, and the last thing I want is to run out when I'm back in the UK, so probably need to find some sort of contract.

But what I'd like to do is find one where I could buy the sim card only, but no idea of what is available in France.

Can anybody give me some pointers??

The Leclerc PAYG SIM seems to be the best deal for low users as the credit does not expire.  Remember if you receive calls when in the UK on a Leclerc (or any French network SIM) you will pay to receive these calls.

You will need to check that your ex-UK contract mobile is “unlocked” (in order to work with a SIM other than the original network’s).  If it was supplied by Orange, T-Mobile or Vodafone it probably is locked to the original network.  The easiest way to check is to try a SIM other than the original network’s in it.

[quote user="Maricopa"]But do follow the other previous advice and check that you have good SFR coverage where you live, it's notoriously patchy throughout France.[/quote]

Maricopa, thanks, though I think that there are SFR shops in the nearest towns, so it probably works OK.  Also, if I remember correctly, an English friend here has a LeClerc mobile, so I'm off to chat to her!

[quote user="Judith"]
Maricopa, thanks, though I think that there are SFR shops in the nearest towns, so it probably works OK.  [/quote]

Sorry Judith, but that really means nothing.  My nextdoor neighbour bought an SFR mobile from our nearest big town (Narbonne), and he doesn't get a signal at all in his house.  Whereas with Orange I do.

[quote user="Judith"] Also, if I remember correctly, an English friend here has a LeClerc mobile, so I'm off to chat to her![/quote]

Great idea, even better to get her to come up to your house and see how good the signal is there!

Good luck[:)]

I am also a low user and I reckon you should look at this from the other direction.  You may find it's cheaper overall to get a UK sim card (Tesco charge relatively little for overseas calls) which you can top up on line.  They don't have any of the expiry problems which French PAYG cards do and don't have reception problems either as they'll use the best signal available.  It really can be cheaper in the long run but depends on what you consider to be low user of course.

Judith,

If as you said in your original message, “[you] only need a mobile for occasional use here in France”, it might not be issue if Leclerc (SFR) doesn’t work in your house (due to location / thick walls etc.)  Local general feedback on how good the network coverage is in your area (or wherever you might use it) is possibly more important.

Another benefit of Cooperlola’s suggestion of using a UK network SIM is that your phone would be constantly searching for the strongest French network in whatever location you were in and therefore could give better coverage than if you committed to one network.  It would also be a lot cheaper to use when you’re in the UK for the six weeks!

[quote user="Judith"]
Maricopa, thanks, though I think that there are SFR shops in the nearest towns, so it probably works OK.  Also, if I remember correctly, an English friend here has a LeClerc mobile, so I'm off to chat to her![/quote]

Further to my last, see this map and input your postcode, certainly seems fairly accurate as far as my village is concerned (for poor coverage).

And I would still invite the friend round to give their phone a try chez vous!

Thanks again, everybody!

The village seems to be covered (Maricopa, Narbonne is my nearest big town too, so we can't be that far away from each other!).  I also see the point about the Tesco mobile, so I'll go explore that avenue too.

Yes, as it turns out, my friend is coming over on Saturday, so guess what I'm going to do!

Tesco Mobile

When we were in the UK a couple of weeks ago Tesco had introduced a top up where you buy, for example, £10 worth they then triple that to £30. The rub being that the extra £20 only lasts for one month but if you're going to be there for that period of time you can have your calls for free.   [:D]

Well, friend came on Sat but not with phone as it was out of credit !! so no wiser on whether it works, or if the phone is locked.  But I suspect it is, so have contacted the old provider who want £14+ to give me the unlock code.  It will probably be cheaper to get the LeClerc's sim offer with a phone.  Now I know why I gave up on mobile phones in the first place!

Thanks all for the most useful and helpful guidance.