Teleconnect - problems galore

How do users feel about Teleconnect now that the initial teething problems of the changeover have been mainly sorted?  I am still finding it VERY difficult to telephone them.  They do not answer calls.

You phone Technical Services

You get an automatic voice to hold the line

You have the same droning music (the same tune has been playing for months) whilst holding

After minutes, a voice cuts in with what I think is a rude message and tells you to phone when the line is not so busy.  You're then cut off.

You phone at times that they suggest but still no one answers....

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not had any real problems, I remember only once not getting through.

I was told by one sales person I could connect/disconnect from the broadband as often as I want, when I tried to arrange ordering the service I was told only once per year.

A strong letter by recorded delivery got me a personal call from their team, delivered promises, and a wedge off the bill. All tickety-boo.

It's also helpful to know how to interrogate your modem should you perceive connection problems. You'll have an idea if it's your end or theirs, and how your local exchange is performing. You can cross-check that with sites offering free ADSL speed checks.

From my point of view still significantly poorer than pre the supposed 'upgrade'. As someone once said, when it's good it's very very good but when it's bad it's 'orrid' !

Not had much difficulty in getting through when necessary and I guess in fairness it should be viewed in conjunction with the ease, or otherwise, of contacting any ISP's help line.

The bottom line really is that I was more than happy with them before the fiasco, and indeed had recommended them, but currently could in no way do so again and would dump them tomorrow if I were able however circumstance, which I won't go into here but completely outwith my control, prevent me from doing so - for now at least.

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot recommend them any longer.  I still haven't been able to get through to Technical Services for a relatively simple request.  I'm fed up of trying to phone them and waiting for 5 mins before being cut off.  I emailed them but only got an automated reply.

The number of times my modem cuts out (not the reason why I have been trying to contact them) is increasing.  This happens virtually daily.  I have to use the on-off switch to restore the system but it happens too often and sometimes when I'm on the phone.

What other companies offer a similar service?

Similar problems & in addition periodic disconnection of the VOIP during calls made me search for another solution.

I moved to Orange about five weeks ago & it was seamless. no more aggro! The difference between Teleconnect & my new provider is that incoming calls on my France Telecom number always come in on the FT line line.

I had pretty good service, with some glitches, before Teleconnect's "upgrade", but thereafter .....!!! As previous posts have indicated ADSL providers are all OK until the wheels start to fall off, but I had enough of Teleconnect's attitude & "opening hours". Costs are not materially different - Teleconnect was 29.90 + 5.00 for unlimited calls to UK plus a few euros for calls in France & FT line rental of 16euros giving a total monthly charge of around 54euros. Orange is 39.90 for ADSL & unlimited calls to UK/France (including 1 hour to French mobiles) plus FT line rental 16 euros.

PS I am in a non degroupé area.

UAG

I think we should keep this thread at the top of the section, either by daily posting or bumping, and inform Teleconnect that they are permanantly top of the bill on one of the premier forums for Brits in France. Similarly for the other place.

Might make them take notice and can't really do any harm can it [:'(]

Actually I might start another entitled 'Teleconnect are rubbish, avoid at all cost'. I think in the light of all that has gone on and how many complaints there are here already the mods could hardly call it naming and shaming.

What say you mods ?

[quote user="Cathy"]

I cannot recommend them any longer.  I still haven't been able to get through to Technical Services for a relatively simple request.  I'm fed up of trying to phone them and waiting for 5 mins before being cut off.  I emailed them but only got an automated reply.

The number of times my modem cuts out (not the reason why I have been trying to contact them) is increasing.  This happens virtually daily.  I have to use the on-off switch to restore the system but it happens too often and sometimes when I'm on the phone.

What other companies offer a similar service?

[/quote]

You must be a glutton for punishment [:D]

It's been exactly the same with us. I usually have to reset the box and sometimes even then it doesn't come back on for a while. In the autumn  (we have a gite and daren't mess with the internet in the holiday season) we are changing to Free.  We will also be able to dispense with our FT line. For your 30 euros a month you get TV, internet and free phone calls to most places in the world. My neighbour has it and he says he has never had the slightest problem.

Why do I have to reset the modem all the time?  Every morning, for example, I have to do it and I am never sure whether the conection is going to work.  There seems to be a hole in the service in the early evening when the modem doesn't work.

Eight months now in to my Orange service and had to reset the box once due to a power outage and the box not booting properly. Other than that no problems at all. I now have UNIK (Orange product) installed on my mobile and get free mobile calls via the WiFi when in range. I guess you pays your money and takes your chances etc, etc.

[quote user="Cathy"]Why do I have to reset the modem all the time?  Every morning, for example, I have to do it and I am never sure whether the conection is going to work.  There seems to be a hole in the service in the early evening when the modem doesn't work.[/quote]

I was going to reply to this thread at breakfast time. Tried for an hour and a half and couldn't get a connection. I'm so frustrated with it all!

[quote user="Quillan"]Eight months now in to my Orange service [/quote]

If you have a problem with the Orange service, how do you get it sorted?  Do they have an English speaking service? 

I can speak French but sometimes technical language alludes me and so I had been attracted to Teleconnect because of their English language service.

Cathy

I was having problems with french (orange livebox),  broadband until I got bored. I decided to buy a wireless router and took the LAN line from livebox to the router rather than direct to my PC/laptop(Belkin in this case although I prefer netgear), and I attach to the internet via the Belkin WIFI. Don't ask me why this has proven more stable, but it has, and I don't seem to have any connection issues any more. Tech geeks will tell me that I was doing something wrong with the livebox before, but this worked for me. Incedently, I wonder if the issue with teleconnect is that for some reason your router doesn't like it. In England I had the same issue for months, but when I switched from Belkin to Netgear the line dropouts dissapeared and have never resurficed.

[quote user="Cathy"]

[quote user="Quillan"]Eight months now in to my Orange service [/quote]

If you have a problem with the Orange service, how do you get it sorted?  Do they have an English speaking service? 

I can speak French but sometimes technical language alludes me and so I had been attracted to Teleconnect because of their English language service.

[/quote]

I am sure I had an email from them saying they had an English language hotline and I did use the one for French Telecom as they are basically the same company to find out why my box was late being delivered. The honest answer is that as its never gone wrong I have not had to bother.

Have to admit I used a Netgear wireless router to start with as it gave much better range than the Orange box. Unfortunatly to use UNIK you have to use the Orange box as the wireless router, perhaps it is something to do with the NIC address of the router that identifies it as being an Orange box?

Looking back I could have had one potential problem had I not picked up on something in this forum which was using Liveplugs for the TV. You have to change the TV socket on the Orange box to a normal ethernet port (software switch) for the Liveplug to work. Very easy to do and very well documented if you know where to look on the web. If you don't know about this then you would have to phone support at Orange which for some could be a problem.

[quote user="baypond"] I wonder if the issue with teleconnect is that for some reason your router doesn't like it. [/quote]

The problem is, Baypond, that you cannot get hold of anyone in their Technical Services dept to ask them.  I have lost count of the number of times that I had tried to phone them.  Their service to customers is Zero.

Try calling :

YOU ARE NOT A CUSTOMER YET
0805 81 7000 (Free call in France)
+33 499 772 724 (from abroad)

They will want new business, so I am sure will pick you up. Once you have a real person on the line, insist they give you a name and non-pool number for you to call for your issue, and in the meantime get them to transfer you through as well. Worth a try I think ?

OR

try this number and get an echange on your modem

• What must I do with the modem, on an exchange or cancellation?
  • You have to call us on free n° 0805 02 4000 and we will tell you exactly what to do. You are supposed to return the modem to us, at our logistics address, which we will supply at that time.

Baypond

One of most frustrating things about Teleconnect is that they are continuing to take on new customers, without looking after their existing ones.  I have been through to the New Sales number, only to be told rudely that I wasn't allowed to telephone that number.  The lady refused point blank to transfer me.  She said that if I had any problems, I could write, yes, write (to a telephone company??). [Www]