Vinyl to USB

Not quite Satelite etc but I am hoping someone can advise me on this. I am thinking of one of these record players to transfer vinyl to Ipod as a pressie for hubby. I have seen a retro one in conforama, and a 'numark' on amazon around 135euros, i know the quality wont be the best but are these any good for transfering and playing vinyls?

I have just been given one of these machines.  I have not yet downloaded to USB but I played an old LP to check it worked.  The sound coming from the speakers was fairly tinny (also when using the radio and the CD player, so it's not a question of the quality of the record.)  I will be trying in the next 24 hours to download an LP and put it onto my Ipod, so if you can wait, I'll let you know how it sounds digitally.

Chrissie (81)

Lidl and Aldi (from time to time) sell these, too, for much less than figure mentioned by OP. 

I am tempted, particularly in view of the claims that defects can be corrected, but have not taken the plunge yet - and still can't bring myself to dump 200 or so LPs, even though they haven't been played for years....  

I have noted comments about sound quality, but my hesitation has more to do with finding the time to transfer all that material. 

OK, I got all fired up after my initial response to this thread, so I "transferred" an LP.  Comments as follows:

a) I have the retro Bigben model

b) It is straightforward to record onto a memory stick, but you have to do each track individually (although CD's can be set up to record in sync - why would anyone do this on this machine???)  So you have to sit and effectively play each track one by one. (Great with a glass or two of wine - nostalgia lives!)

c) The quality is not great.  The machine faithfully reproduces each scratch and crack - well, that's only to be expected, that's what music used to be like and we are all a bit spoilt now with the quality of digital downloads etc.  But there is also a slight reverberation distortion on some tracks which is irritating.

d) I am happy with my machine - the quality is fine for transferring to my Ipod and playing while cooking or walking the dogs, and I can also now listen to music which is unavailable to download (yes, there is still a lot of obscure stuff unavailable!)  But if your husband wants good quality reproduction, and the tracks are available on the Net to download, I couldn't honestly recommend this route.

Hope this is of use!

Chrissie (81)

I have found that I get good results by playing vinyl records on my old HiFi system and connecting it to the stereo audio line input of the computer running the free Audacity recorder software. Audacity allows you to edit the recording and save it in different formats including WAV. I then transfer the recording to CD and you could instead transfer it to iPod I guess. Of course you do need something to play the record on in the first place..............................JR

I have an Ion turntable which I use to transfer LPs to CD.

In general, I echo Chrissie's comments. The results are variable and I tend only to copy LPs that I treasure.

First, I clean the LP using a liquid anti-static bath (called Disco-Antistat) in which fine plastic brushes dislodge dirt particles trapped in the groove.

Then I use Roxio Creator 8 to capture and digitise the waveform. The Sound Editor component of Creator 8 contains filters which help minimise clicks and surface noise, but if the original vinyl disc is at all damaged, little can be done to hide it. Over use of the filters degrades the recorded sound.

If you have LPs that are important to you and you wish to listen to them, go ahead; if you merely wish to reduce the cost of duplicating an LP collection then you may be disappointed with the quality of the result.

[quote user="JohnRoss"]I have found that I get good results by playing vinyl records on my old HiFi system and connecting it to the stereo audio line input of the computer running the free Audacity recorder software. Audacity allows you to edit the recording and save it in different formats including WAV. I then transfer the recording to CD and you could instead transfer it to iPod I guess. Of course you do need something to play the record on in the first place..............................JR[/quote]

Why your old HiFi system, why not your current one [Www]

The real reason for posting, just be careful when doing the above as the output from some amplifiers could be way too high for the imput of the pooter.

Why your old HiFi system, why not your current one?  'Cause it still goes guv! Circa 1970s Sharp Music Centre and all it needed was a new stylus to make it play. The wife is always banging on about a new LCD TV but our old Nipkow disk system still works too!

Yes what you say is correct but just to make you really suck air through the teeth I take the audio feed off the speaker outputs and then I can send it some distance into the room where the computer lurks at low impedance without lots of screened cable and the risk of hum pickup. The HiFi tone controls also function this way. There is the risk of building in crossover distortion doing it this way but with a moderate output on the speakers and watching the Audacity VU meters and level controls it all seems to work ok with no noticeable extra distortion. I did, of course, check for any volts between the two systems before connecting them just to be on the safe side. Many a good tune played on an old fiddle! Same goes for me!....................................JR

I am interested in the various comments re software to reduce crackles etc.  Can this be downloaded?  Free?  Purchased?  Could you apply it to music already transferred into an Itunes Library or would it have to be done whilst still on the memory stick? (Sorry - am not very technical.  Please reply as though speaking to your Granny![8-)])

Chrissie (81)

Chrissie

To speak to my Granny would require a ouija board!

I purchased Roxio Easy Media Creator 8, which is a suite of programs associated with media applications (photo, video, sound, cd and dvd production etc). It cost, perhaps, £50 about 2 years ago. There is probably a version 9 now. The program which captures analogue sound and digitises it can pass the digitied data to a sound editor which includes options for noise reduction. I suspect that Audacity (which is free and can be downloaded) contains similar options.

I do not find the Creator 8 software to be particularly intuitive to use, and at first I spent much time buried in the Help files (unhelpfully they are on the hard drive and not in printed form) but other's experiences may be different.

It is difficult to provide granny-friendly information here, but I can't stress the importance of making sure your vinyl disc is thoroughly clean before you start.

Well, I astounded myself by downloading not only the Audicity freeware, but also the LAME MP3 business to enable "enhanced" tracks to be subsequently exported to Itunes.

Have had a wonderful day playing about with the tracks - for the most part I haven't a clue what I'm doing, although I have been successful with the  simple "clean-up" option.  You should hear old Paul Robeson music with "Wah-wah" added[blink]!

Thank you for that, Clarkkent.

Chrissie (81)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Can anyone suggest some of the rare stuff they have that can't be downloaded? Just curious to see if I can have a search and see what I can come up with.[/quote]

I was quite surprised to find some rare-ish recordings to download the other day, there really is a huge library available and probably is cheaper than purchasing hardware.

Stuff I haven't found to download - a lot of the less well-known Gary Shearston, Peter Skellern, Ray Stevens, sound tracks from the old "Dollar" movies, even some Elkie Brook tracks.  I also have a fair bit of Greek and Danish music.  I only tend to look at Itunes as that's what I use, and as I have the LPs and the ability to transfer the tracks, that suits me!

(Ooooh, do I hear groaning at my musical choices?  Wait till I get my old box of singles out........[:)])

Chrissie (81)