Cheap call access numbers

I must be thick, but I cannot for the life of me work out how somebody can give me a phone number that I can use to allow me to make cheap calls to other countries? After all, the company that gives me the number must get something out of it, I get a call to another country at the cost of a local call if not less, so I get something out of it, and the company who operates the line, British Telecom, earns something out of it. So this is why I am confused, why does BT not say to me; you are a regular customer make these calls at local call rate. If they did this surely they would save money by not giving another company a share of their income. Am I looking at this situation in a much too simplistic manner or am I missing something. I know that the answer to this question isn’t terribly important in today’s world, but it’s snowing and we can’t get out of the house.

The telcos who offer these services buy surplus capacity at dirt cheap wholesale prices hence they can sell it on at dirt cheap + a penny and still make money, and long may it remain so !

It gives people like me the facility to use my mobile to phone my home in France from the KLM lounge in a snowed in Aberdeen airport on an 0844 number @ 3p minute [;-)]

[quote user="AnOther"]The telcos who offer these services buy surplus capacity at dirt cheap wholesale prices hence they can sell it on at dirt cheap + a penny and still make money, and long may it remain so !

It gives people like me the facility to use my mobile to phone my home in France from the KLM lounge in a snowed in Aberdeen airport on an 0844 number @ 3p minute [;-)]

[/quote]

Yep that sounds perfectly plausible, but, I still ask why don't BT sell that directly to me and make more profit. Don't get me wrong I've played the system for years and enjoyed it's benifits. I just think they (BT) are missing a trick? Still snowing in Sussex, will I get to the tunnel on Saturday morning.

BT is a lethargic behemoth, still largely trading on past glories and monopolies, and it takes a lot to shake them out of their conservative ways.

There is probably sufficient inertia amongst traditional BT customers

to make it as profitable to rake in a lot from a few than a little

from many. Also selling wholesale is guaranteed, reliable, year on year income.

Not quite true - they are big, yes, but they need to be because they are the only provider that has to, by law, provide a service wherever you may reside.

In addition, they are, and have been for many years, severely restricted by the regulator about what they can do and that can appear as lethargy to an outsider.

Regards - Tim

OK, a lethargic behemoth, still largely trading on past glories and severely restricted monopolies then [;-)]

I used know a lot of people at Martelsham so I know they do a lot of cutting edge work too but the customer facing side still gives the appearance of being a nationalised industry with all the inefficiency and dogma inherent to that.

[quote user="NickP"]I'm not sure that advertising is looked upon with great affection by the moderators, but if you google "Cheap access telephone calls", you can fill your boots[/quote]

Thanks. I just use Voipbuster and didn't realise there were all those companies out there.

[quote user="ptegan"]I've been using Les Minutes for over 5 years now....

http://www.lesminutes.com/Redirect/Home.asp?partner=lesminutes_uk

[/quote]

Thats interesting that's Budget telecome,AKA teleconnect. Hmmmm. Don't tell AnOther

"Maxi

Minutes" does seem to be a lot more interesting than "Minutes

3111" but the 3111 is toll-free while the "Maxi Minutes" charges for the price of a local call. Of course this doesn't make any difference if you're local calls are already free.

Remember, these aren't two different offers that you sign up to. Once you have money on your account then you can use whichever you like. I tend to stick with 3111 because it recognises the telephone number I dial from (entered on their website) and so I get a dial-tone automatically while with Maxi it asks me for my 4-digit passcode first.

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="ptegan"]I've been using Les Minutes for over 5 years now....

http://www.lesminutes.com/Redirect/Home.asp?partner=lesminutes_uk

[/quote]

Thats interesting that's Budget telecome,AKA teleconnect. Hmmmm. Don't tell AnOther[/quote]

Hell, I work for Orange....sometimes the other guys are better/cheaper :)