Hi

A friend of mine would like advice on mobile phones, they live in France and have a french pay -as- you -go but dont use all the credit, they would like to get a UK phone and top up each time they visit the Uk and then use it the occasional time they need it in France, does anyone have any advice for them, I said I would get one and take it over on my next holiday. Any advice appreciated. Thanks Pauline

[quote user="Pauline"]Hi A friend of mine would like advice on mobile phones, they live in France and have a french pay -as- you -go but dont use all the credit, they would like to get a UK phone and top up each time they visit the Uk and then use it the occasional time they need it in France, does anyone have any advice for them, I said I would get one and take it over on my next holiday. Any advice appreciated. Thanks Pauline[/quote]

From my experience using an English mobile in France tends to be expensive. Have your friends had a look at the LeClerc supermarket Sim cards they appear to be the cheapest. If you have an English mobile (unblocked) you can then put an English or French Sim card, and get the best of both worlds. The LeClerc card costs about 15Euro to buy, this includes some air time, and then 1.50 Euro a month and your credit rolls on. But beware if you let it run out I think you loose it. By the way if you have an English orange account you can top up on line.

If you google "free sim cards " you will find quite a choice offered by the various mobile phone companies ..Some already loaded with pay as you go credit for you.on start up ..If its for such little use then a free sim in and old phone might  just do what they want it to..They will have to get it switched over to Europe wide use .

This may be of interest:

Asda PAYG roaming charges :

Cost p/min for calling the UK and the country you're in: 35p

Cost p/min for receiving a call: 15p

Cost p/min for calling another country: 140p

SMS p/message: 11p

MINimum CHarge 30SEC

•Receiving an SMS in UK or overseas is free of charge

•Sending a text to a non UK number may be more expensive than the standard charge

Used in UK: voice is 8p/min/any network/landlines, texts 4p anytime.

Asda sim pack costs 50p.

No monthly charge, no loss of credit.

Downside is no online recharge.

I've had three French phones, contract and PAYG and none have been locked. If your friend puts someone else's sim card in their phone and it works, it'll work with an asda sim; I'd put the asda sim in a phone while in the UK first though.

Steve

Hi Just searched the internet, am I right in thinking we could just buy my friend a mobile in the UK, top it up and send it to her to use in France? do all the pay as you go companies have different tariffs if so does anyone know which is the cheapest or best only I am baffled with all the information. Never been good with technology would rather just be out in the garden! Thanks Pauline

The mobile is for the couple to use in france for emergencies only, they tell me they have so much credit on the french mobile and I believe the french mobiles work differently than uk, so they thought a uk pay as you go would be sufficient for the odd calls they make each month and they could top it up when they visit the uk, hope this makes sense!

Yes, it does.

The tesco simcard is almost identical to the Asda one and we find it works well - we have similar needs to your friend.

We phoned up while out of UK to put credit on it using our credit card.

The call was free.