Internet Explorer 8

I'm running IE8 on a Dell Vista laptop I bought about six months ago.

IE8 is quite good and has some useful features like opening new websites in tabs rather than in new windows.

However, I find that after a while, downloads seem to hang and I have to do a restart to get the thing working normally again.  I don't know whether this is an IE8 or a Vista problem because my desktop runs on XP and IE7 and will happily chug away all day long without any problem.

I have to say that I find little difference between IE8 and IE7. There are a couple more menus - suggested sites and web slice gallery. My IE7 used tabs too, so no difference there.

The biggest change is that the 'reply' box for this forum has shrunk to a fraction of its previous size. All the other forum sites I use seem unchanged, so might this be something to do with the .net framework update that downloaded at the same time as the IE update? I think this site uses .net rather than straight php like the others.

There was a similar problem when IE7 was first released.

This workaround, suggested by pachapapa, and tested by Clair, should solve the tiny reply box problem for IE8 ...

[quote user="pachapapa"]

If anyone wants to rationalise the size and supplementary functions of the Complete France message posting box whilst using the Microsoft Browser Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 . The following configuration options can be applied.

1) Access the forum website with IE8 Beta 2. and navigate to AddPost page.

2) In menu bar click on Page and display the drop down contextual menu.

3) Click on Paramètres d'affichage de la compatibilité.

4) In the dialogue window that appears, add the posting page URL and close the window.The posting box will immediately enlarge and all functions will be available. Note the correct URL address will appear in the dialogue address box.

5) If as in my case the address bar and menu bar become concealed either press F11 or let the cursor hover at the top of the screen until the Header appears then right click on a free portion of the Address bar and disable "masquer automatiquement". 

[:)][:)][:)]

The Complete France posting box will then be stored as a parameter for IE8 when you return to post a message.

[/quote]

Thanks Cat, that seems to have solved the problem. The actual version is a bit different from the beta one, as it seems to be under the 'Tools' menu rather than 'Page', and in the 'compatibility view settings' box you just have to add 'completefrance.com' rather than having to go to the 'add post' screen and put in the whole address of that. But the end result is the same.

Hi Ron,

I have been using I.E.8 (not BETA) since it became available to download as full version. No problems, but tend to agree with Will, not a lot different to I.E.7. One feature I find useful is the addition of 'Accelerators'

Regards

Thanks for the replies I have now downloaded it, I like the tabs with options of new or duplicate and it has retained the old IE6 tool bar with File/Edi/Favourites/ Tools etc so now I get a choice of two buttons.  On the French version there were a lot of optional extras that I did not select like silverscreen? and various toolbars, but that would not download perhaps because the old version was in English, however the UK version works OK but did not offer any extra stuff or toolbars.

So far it has not caused any problems to any sites, but I note there is a compatability button next to the refresh button that might cure the LF Forum small button problem?

[quote user="Cat"]

There was a similar problem when IE7 was first released.

This workaround, suggested by pachapapa, and tested by Clair, should solve the tiny reply box problem for IE8 ...

[quote user="pachapapa"]

If anyone wants to rationalise the size and supplementary functions of the Complete France message posting box whilst using the Microsoft Browser Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 . The following configuration options can be applied.

1) Access the forum website with IE8 Beta 2. and navigate to AddPost page.

2) In menu bar click on Page and display the drop down contextual menu.

3) Click on Paramètres d'affichage de la compatibilité.

4) In the dialogue window that appears, add the posting page URL and close the window.The posting box will immediately enlarge and all functions will be available. Note the correct URL address will appear in the dialogue address box.

5) If as in my case the address bar and menu bar become concealed either press F11 or let the cursor hover at the top of the screen until the Header appears then right click on a free portion of the Address bar and disable "masquer automatiquement". 

[:)][:)][:)]

The Complete France posting box will then be stored as a parameter for IE8 when you return to post a message.

[/quote]

[/quote]

There are a series of videos available in english on the Microsoft Site, including one onthe Compatability View Feature;

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/videos.aspx

The complete set of didactic videos can be entered by just clicking on the Video Window Arrow;

but the Compatability View Video can be selected by clicking on the relevant link below.

There are in fact three options in the Compatability GUI rather than the two featured in the video.

However the comment next to the activation box is self explanatory.

• 11 months later...