[quote user="Thebiga"]How do you go about doing a forced update, Please.[/quote]

Quoted from this other forum:

After consulting the Technical department they told me how to do a

Software Download

I did it and my box is now on EPG 3.7.6

This is what to do

Software Download

1-Switch on TV

2-Switch digibox to Standby

3-Un-plug the mains to the digibox

4-Press the button on the front of the box marked BACK UP and keep it

held

in

5-Plug the power to the box back on

6-the red light on the front of the box comes on first followed by the

others.

7-The following message appears on the TV screen

Updating System Software

Do not disconnect from mains supply or satelite dish

This may take up to 10 minutes

8-ONLY when this message appears can you release the back up button

9-use as normal

So we will see what happens in the next few days.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Thebiga"]How do you go about doing a forced update, Please.[/quote]

and

[quote user="Thebiga"]Thanks people will give it a go. Fed up of it

going off all the time.[/quote]

Have you done the forced update? How did it go? I ask because an elderly friend rang last night to say her digi box was behaving oddly, and had been doing so intermittently for some time. The symptoms she described sound just like these listed on here and it is a Pace box. So I said I would post and ask re a possible solution.

Thanks.

Sue

I said earlier that I would have a play and have just dug out my Pace DS440N which was still on version 3.6.4.18.

I forced an update 3 times and unplugged the power during the process but waited longer each time - result - nothing, no harm or damage.

It's possible, indeed likely, that there is a critical point of no return. Most of the suggested 10 minutes would seem to be download time with a final installation phase at the end when you could probably successfully brick it however I think you'd have to be extremely unfortunate to suffer a loss of power or signal at that brief moment.

I won't test it to destruction [blink]

A bit puzzling that it did not update?

I am tempted to try it as its getting very annoying resetting itself when you are watching something. But, not at the moment as in the last week, we have had lots of heavy rain plus a thunderstorm or two and forecast of more to come over

the next few days. So, not quite the right time to try it.

It didn't update because I didn't let it finish, thats why.

After the experiment I did let it go through to the end uninterrupted but unforunately I didn't bother to look what the final version was and it's now back in it's box and I can't be bothered to fish it out again.

That's quite a help anyway AnO as my OH is game to try a forced update on my friend's box, but only if there is a very minimal risk of doing some damage to the box or the software.

Does anybody think Sky will 'patch' the last software update, much as MS do when one of their updates goes a bit awry?

Sue

• 2 months later...
[quote user="AnOther"]

It would be most unusual and outwith industry norms to modify a firmware version whilst retaining it's revision number [blink]

[/quote]

Thats what I thought. But then back in May, they had withdrawn the 3.8.8. update and I done a forced update and went back to 3.7.6.

Will just have to wait and see if I get any freezes.

Well, ours in France is a Pace box, as far as I know it has never turned itself off at random and I have just checked the version number - 3.8.8.

Mind you, we sold a spare box (Thomson) yesterday, and I connected that up for a day or so with no card just to check that everything was working, it had BBC SE on 101 (not London) and ITV SE on 103 (not Central); also it received five with no card in it. No idea what version that was, but it didn't update itself to behave like our other card-less boxes.

• 1 month later...