Lost set up disk

I am having trouble getting a further PC to connect wirelessly to our liivebox.  It will work perfectly when connected by cable, but although the PC can see the livebox wirelessly, it will not log on.  I've had the problem before with other devices, but it is not helping matters this time that I have misplaced the set up disk for the livebox.  Does anyone know whether it is possible to get hold of a replacement disk?

Many thanks

[quote user="elamessa"]You shouldn't need the set up disc for the Livebox, have you got the Wireless key that you need to enter when setting up a new wireless connection, it is usually on a label on the back of the livebox box.
[/quote]

Agreed, but this is a recurring problem.  We have the key, but the devices will just not maintain contact.  I think it is some sort of software conflict with something in Windows XP, but my tech knowledge is not good.  However, I have got around it in the past by using the driver disk and going through the entire set up or adding process on each machine.

That said, my wife's laptop just will not work wirelessly even when sited near the livebox and showing a full-strength signal  We now have the same issue with a PC that my son has brought from the UK.[:'(]

If you can get one PC to talk to the Livebox you could check to see if its a security problem (I assume you know h0w to talk/connect to the Livebox and enter the Admin and setup area) by going to the "Connexion Sans Fil" and first make sure the box marked "Activation du WiFi" is ticked. Then look at the box marked "Mode de sécurité :" which should be set to "WPA-PSK (TKIP)" and using the drop down menu by the side of it change it to ""Pas de Sécurité". This disables the need to use a key code on any of the computers attempting to connect via WIFI. You won't need any drivers for the PC's and Laptops assuming they have WIFI built in to them. If that works (i.e. you can connect) then you may have the wrong key, the key is also displayed as "Clé de Sécurité" so you can check it against the one you have written down. Put the ""Mode de sécurité :" back to "WPA-PSK (TKIP)" and try again with the code you have written down. You don't need a setup disk to setup the WIFI on each PV/Laptop, just the Clé. Hope that helps.

Don't forget that if it is the first time you have tried to connect to the live box wi-fi you need to press the pairing button on the bottom of the livebox, you should only have to do this the one time, you can disable this function on the livebox too I think by switching off the MAC filter in the security bit somewhere, but don't hold me to that!

Tim

Ohhps edit typos

[quote user="frexpt"]

... although the PC can see the livebox wirelessly, it will not log on.[/quote]

These can be symptoms of the Livebox using a wifi channel that the PC can't use.

Using

a wired (Ethernet) connection, go into the Livebox administration panel

and change the channel to 11, in the wifi settings.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote user="bmt"][quote user="frexpt"]

... although the PC can see the livebox wirelessly, it will not log on.[/quote]

These can be symptoms of the Livebox using a wifi channel that the PC can't use.

Using a wired (Ethernet) connection, go into the Livebox administration panel and change the channel to 11, in the wifi settings.
[/quote]

Thanks for that advice.  I have tried that, but with mixed success........

My PC (XP) wifi will connect to the Livebox whichever channel selected, no problem.....

Wife's laptop (XP), sited next to Livebox will connect on channel 11 for a few minutes, but then loses connectivity again......

Daughter's laptop (Vista) connects no problem......

Son's PC (XP), as before doesn't want to connect, although it can see the connection.....

Son's new netbook (Windows 7) won't connect either on channel 6 or 11, very much like his PC.

I have adjusted access settings both ways, i.e. to allow Windows to configure the wifi connection or not, but don't seem to be getting very far........[:(]

The first thing to check is that the wifi network adapter of each computer (dongle, card or inbuilt) is correctly installed.

If they work OK with other connections then we can assume that they are OK. If you can't test them on another access point elsewhere then check that the network adapter (wifi, not ethernet) in each computer is OK in Control Panel.

If there are no problems indicated by Windows and you still can't connect. You may try uninstalling and reinstalling the network adapter for the computers that don't work. This may be a bit more complicated though.

Have you done a factory reset of the livebox?

It may help. You will need to have your Orange ADSL login (fti/********) and password ****** to re-establish the connection.

Instructions here http://assistance.orange.fr/livebox-mini-remise-a-zero-928.php

and afterwards, follow this page to snter your connection login and password.

http://assistance.orange.fr/livebox-mini-reconfigurer-apres-une-remise-a-zero-830.php

This will mean that you will then also have to set up each wifi connection again for each computer.....but it may help.

If you really want an Orange CD, you can ask for a replacement in an Orange shop but it will not help with the connection. It only adds extra useless software to the computer.

Danny

PS don't forget the pairing button, as Tim says.

Thanks for all that.  We've spent the past couple of hours checking everything that has been suggested through in sequence, done a factory re-set and re-configured the Livebox.  We have also updated the wi-fi adaptor drivers on the respective machines, but still no joy.  The wireless adaptors on the troublesome devices work fine with non-Orange wi-fi.  My son has just worked through all of the channels on the livebox, but none of them work with these computers.

I don't really want the Orange disk, but the two machines that do work without a problem do have the full Orange software installed.  Having said that, my wife's laptop is similarly configured, but won't maintain a connection.......I'm beginning to wonder whether we might have a faulty Livebox......[8-)]

That is a possibility too.

If it is a rented livebox, then you can call up Orange 3900 in French

or there is the English speaking service 0969 36 39 00

OR

take it in to an Orange shop and they can test it for you.

If you can borrow another livebox which you know works, then test that on your line, it would tell you if the problem is the livebox.

Danny

****EDIT**** sorry, the formatting has gone strange......

Thanks again Danny, but any further thoughts perhaps?

My son has just picked up a suggestion from an "Orange Problems" website to turn off the security on the livebox.  This done and everything works perfectly.......Not entirely happy about running with no security, but we are geographically remote enough not to have to worry too much. 

Cheers

If you don't any immediate neighbours, then as AnO said earlier, you should not worry about using wifi without any security. Someone would need to be right next to your house to use the wifi.

I did think that there may be a problem of wifi signal quality i.e. if certain PCs are just too far to get a good signal then that could make the connection unstable but if they are all working OK with an open connection, that seems unlikely. Still, I would try moving either the PCs affected or the livebox closer together just to test and hopefully you could eliminate one possible problem. 

Danny