Convert dishwasher pdf user manual from French to English.

We have just bought a Brandt DFH 1031 dishwasher, and have a paper user manual in French.  I have looked on line but can only find a PDF manual in French.

I wonder if anybody can direct me to a manual for this machine in English?

For setting up the salt, hard water and rinse aid we would like to have a manual in English, and I wonder if it is possible to convert the French pdf manual to English, or if it is possible to scan the French paper manual and convert the scanned document to English?

Many thanks in advance.

David

The Brandt brand is only sold in France. I have found no other language manual available online.

It would probably be easier to ask someone to help you with the French rather than getting the whole manual translated somehow.

If you want a quick translation of certain things, you could type the text into Google translate to get an English equivalent. Beware, It is pretty good for an online translation but often throws up some very strange things.

Danny

Thanks everybody for all your kind thoughts.  I have tried pdftoword.com, but that said there was a technical difficulty and that a conversion could not be made.

Also I cannot find Microsoft document imaging on my machine.  Perhaps because I have Microsoft Office 2007, but I am running Windows 7.  I have tried to find a download, but it only seems to be available for Windows XP, and not Windows 7.

I am not sure what OCR software is, but I have a cannon scanner.

As there are only shortish sections that we cannot understand, perhaps it would be easier to type out the relevant sections, and translate those.

Many thanks,

David

Thanks for that Russethouse, I followed your link and understand what to try.  I now just have to find the original installation disc.  I'll look for it tomorrow.

Pachapapa, I have downloaded the manual in pdf format, and have even saved it to a memory stick to make it easy to find.  However, I could not find any way to translate it with google.  I also tried copying sections and pasting them into google, but they just showed up as gibberish.

Thanks for the help.

David

[quote user="David"]

Thanks for that Russethouse, I followed your link and understand what to try.  I now just have to find the original installation disc.  I'll look for it tomorrow.

Pachapapa, I have downloaded the manual in pdf format, and have even saved it to a memory stick to make it easy to find.  However, I could not find any way to translate it with google.  I also tried copying sections and pasting them into google, but they just showed up as gibberish.

Thanks for the help.

David

[/quote]

Strange as a pdf file is automatically changed to HTML in the left window and translated to the target language in the right window.

The URL of the source file in pdf can be entered directly in the box, select the languages and google translation does the rest. It has been doing it with pdf files for 3 years or so.

Sorry P, must be doing something wrong, but cannot get anything.

Cannot find URL of manual, I go to the Brandt web site, go to the DFH 1031 section, and open the manual but it immediately downloads - no url shown.

I have saved the pdf file to a memory stick, and put the memory stick address into the google translate window.  The translator seems to try to do something, but ends up with mostly blank pages with occasional gibberish.

Have tried copying sections of text from the pdf file and pasting them into google translate, but only get gibberish.

I am using IE8, I go the to google search page, and then enter the text into the box on the left.  The gibberish comes out on the right hand side, but it is not enclosed in a box.

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks,

David

[quote user="David"]

Sorry P, must be doing something wrong, but cannot get anything.

Cannot find URL of manual, I go to the Brandt web site, go to the DFH 1031 section, and open the manual but it immediately downloads - no url shown.

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks,

David

[/quote]

Try a right-click on the manual link, and select "copy file location", which will give you the url. Paste (right-click, paste) into the translator.

If Clair's tip works and you get a URL it should work without any problem.

The problem with Manual Files is that they ask often for email addresses or daft questions about the product, diplodocs is a good example, and this has the same effect as a password making the file inaccessible using the URL.

Been experimenting using the Google Translation local file Browse option and pulling a pdf file from the Desktop gives me the title of the file and nothing more.

Trying another stab at a work around, if I take pdf file and convert it Microsoft Word (strictly speaking I am converting it to WordPerfectX3, cos I aint got MS Word...too expensive!); then I can use the local file browser with Google Translation and it will load and translate the file.

I am using a Programme called PDF2Word which I downloaded from Softonic, just for the exercise, so there may be better Programmes available; it is of course free.

I'll take a look for other PDF 2 Word software. But not till tomorrow!

Claire, I tried your tip of right clicking on the manual link, but no joy.  The right click over the link gave the same results as right clicking on any part of the rest of the page - the right click did not seem to recognise the manual link.  Perhaps because it shows as a zip compressed folder when downloading?  None of the options were as you described.

P - I will try downloading that program tomorrow.

I thought that converting pdf files to word, and then translating them, would be easy but it seems not.

Thanks all.

David

Tip when I downloaded it yesterday evening from Softonic ( based in Barcelona..beware always of Catalans![:-))]), during installation I got an invite to install te Softonic Tool Bar, I ticked the box to NOT install. Toolbars are a flaming nuisance and are often very awkward to uninstall. I presume you have Microsoft Word or something similar on your computer for displayof .doc files. 

P.S. You are right Google wont open a compressed Zip file.

Reading the FAQ of site above the author says that it will only work for conversion in english.

I have tested it with french and the conversion looks fine; I pulled it from a Spanish site, so it must work in Spanish. If you have any problem with conversion french to french before translation then download it from Softonic France. The second one in the list.

http://www.softonic.fr/s/pdf-converter-pour-word-gratuit

P.S. It had nearly 7,000 downloads last week...it must work.[Www]

P - sorry for the delay in replying, but I have been busy.

In the meantime my wife has treated me as one of those useless males and quietly got on with it herself.

While I was fiddling with the computer and assuring her that a full translation was forthcoming, she typed up all the relevant sections and translated them, so my efforts are now redundant.  Thus I will give up my computer efforts, and find something useful (in her eyes) to do in order to earn some brownie points to make up.  [+o(]

Such is the life of a retired male provider/hunter!

Thanks for all your help though.

David

[:D][:D][:D]

Was due to cut bits off trees today but expected sunshine didn't happen, maybe later in week. I am always curious so signed on to Brandt and downloaded the french pdf manual; looks horrendous with pages of complicated diagrams; usually a death knell to direct translation programmes. I'll have a play with the file but have the feeling that extracting the text for separate translation is the way to go. In the meantime if you have any doubts about the translation, perish the thought, just post the text and page number and I will check it out. Cheers.

Thanks for trying.  That manual really is quite horrendous for translating.  I had tried to extract text for translating but without success.

Now that you have tried I do not feel such an idiot.

Still trying to recover brownie points! [+o(]

Thanks again for all your efforts.

David