I have downloaded ExpatShield but the program will not connect to the server and all internet connections are blocked,subsequently I have had to uninstall it to restore normality   I do have AVG as spyware control and I can only assume that it is this that is doing the blocking, but I cannot find a way to instruct AVG to allow ExpatShield.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

[quote user="Clair"]Can't help re your access, but when I used ExpatShield for the first time this week, I ended up having to close several pop-ups offering live sex... [Www]

[/quote]

Really strange that. I've been using it for ages with Firefox and never seen an advert.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Firefox blocks all their adverts if you have the ad blocker installed.[/quote]

Yes, it does, but you have to give Adblock an address to block in the first instance.

Well, I assume that's what happened; as far as I can remember, I was reading their blurb whilst the program was installing and I didn't realise that pop-up screens had opened in the background every time I clicked on a link on their page...

I've had catalogues pop-up screens with other websites in the past, but never I have never ever had this sort of pop-up...

Whe you install the adblock plus add on, there is an option to use a choice of ready made filters/subscriptions (i.e. lists of sites/ads to block)

Pick a popular one and it will block most pop ups or ads.

Then you can always right click on any image/ad and choose to block image and you should not see it again.

More here - you can choose one and just add it by clickong on subscribe.

http://adblockplus.org/en/subscriptions

Danny

PS When I tried Expat Shield, I had no adverts at all. I think I have the easylist english, if I recall.

[quote user="Clair"]Can't help re your access, but when I used ExpatShield for the first time this week, I ended up having to close several pop-ups offering live sex... [Www]

[/quote]

Probably better than the ones offering dead sex [Www][Www]

Danny

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]Whe you install the adblock plus add on, there is an option to use a choice of ready made filters/subscriptions (i.e. lists of sites/ads to block)

Pick a popular one and it will block most pop ups or ads.

Then you can always right click on any image/ad and choose to block image and you should not see it again.

More here - you can choose one and just add it by clickong on subscribe.

http://adblockplus.org/en/subscriptions

Danny

PS When I tried Expat Shield, I had no adverts at all. I think I have the easylist english, if I recall.

[/quote]

Yes you're quite right, Easylist does the job perfectly in conjunction with Expat Shield.

Stop your virus checker program - try expat shield, if it works you know where the problem lies. If it still doesn't work do the same with other programs you have running in the background (e.g. firewall). Don't forget to start your virus software again. I can't see it being AVG as loads of people must be using that with expat shield.