To follow on from my previous post, we went to the Orange shop and they were excellent. Very little English but between my bungled french and their professionalism we got through.

So I have the Livewire package TV, internet and phone and a technician is coming next week to set us up. However I have received an e-mail to say that it is ready for connection so I plugged in the Livebox to the wall and pressed connect on my laptop for the internet and it asked for a password. I don't have one. Where do you get the password from ?

Double checked the e-mail they sent and it's not on there. Long drive to shop so not going there for a few days, anyone else have experience on where they got theirs from.

Many thanks

Thanks Martin

You would think they would send them by e-mail. The postman doesn't know us yet and there's no house numbers round here so hopefully it will arrive, I'll try the number though.

Can I buy any telephone and plug it iin or does it need to be some Orange specific thing.

Just to confirm, the adsl access passwords and the Email/espace client passwords are sent by post. If you don't want to wait, you can call up the English speaking line to get them.

Most modern telephones bought in France will be fine plugged in to the livebox (not livewire!) for your inclusive calls.

They will usually say compatible 'box ADSL' on the outside box. There is a list of compatible phones on Orange's site but it is quite limited and lots of others are fine.

I am not quite sure though which password you need. When you say "so I plugged in the Livebox to the wall and pressed connect on my laptop

for the internet and it asked for a password. I don't have one. Where

do you get the password from ?"

Are you referring to the password to set up the ADSL connection or the security key to connect to the livebox by WiFi?

Danny

It is asking for the security key for the wifi to connect to the Livebox.

The default security key is found on the livebox label and you need to enter it in uppercase and without spaces.

If you still cannot connect there may be anoher problem with the settings.

Can you connect by ethernet cable as shown in the page I linked to?

Then

Hi Danny

I put the number in and it came up connected.

I then tried to open IE and it came up as web page not available.

Tried to do the manual set up but I don't have a phone jack in the house so I got confused. Think I might have to wait a week to get a technician out, one is coming for the TV next week.

Thanks for helping.

If it helps, we paid 19 euros for them to set it up but looking on the laptop I can't see what they set up.

The only Orange program on there is Orange Internet Anywhere which i think relates to the Dongle I'm using at the moment.

Sooooo confused. How can it say connected but not be able toload a web page? I hate being beaten by computers.

[quote user="Alpinemist"]Hi Danny The Orange shop took our laptop for 10 mins and said they set up the Livebox for us, which I assume meant they installed it. When I try to connect it's asking for a Network Password to connect to the Livebox.[/quote]

It's not very clear what's happening here. You mention "network password"... there was, maybe still is, a problem with Outlook which causes a message similar to this to be displayed. Are you using Outlook to collect your email? If so, it's an indication of a corrupted "account" within Outlook (the details needed to connect to the mail server). The only thing you can do in this case is to create a new account and delete the old. NOTE: Only do this if the conditions I described match your situation (ie Outlook).

If you do not have your Orange Internet access codes to set up the Livebox connection then your Livebox is not connected to the Internet. That is why you cannot see any web pages even if your wifi (wireless connection) from the laptop to the Livebox is now working.

If you use your dongle to connect directly (you did not mention the Internet Orange Anywhere before), you are acessing the internet via the mobile phone network and not via your livebox.

You only have a limited amount you can download via this method and it gets used up very quickly, so beware.

I repeat, in order to establish the internet connection to your Livebox, you need the codes that come on your letter from Orange or if you do not want to wait, call them up and ask them.

Danny

Hi Sid,

Nice thought but no i don't use outlook.

The Livebox @ symbol is flasing Red quickly which I think means that we have connected to the livebox but the livebox isn't connecting to the internet.

Do we need a telephone socket in the house for Orange Livebox to work?

No we don't have any phone sockets, must admit I thought it was all done via wireless internet.

We have a satellite dish with the wire coming through the wall. Nothing connected to it yet if that helps.

Have we just wasted our money getting Orange ?

Any options available at this stage?

[quote user="Alpinemist"]The Livebox @ symbol is flasing Red quickly which I think means that we have connected to the livebox[/quote]

No, this means that your livebox is on but it is unable to connect to the internet.

[quote user="Alpinemist"]Do we need a telephone socket in the house for Orange Livebox to work?[/quote]

I see a clue here which may explain the flashing red light....[:-))]

Did you not even look at the pictures in the manual like on this page which show how to connect everything up?

http://assistance.orange.fr/livebox-2-branchements-1018.php

Danny

EDIT You answered before I got this post finished EDIT

[quote user="Alpinemist"]Think I might have to wait a week to get a technician out, one is coming for the TV next week.[/quote]If you have no phone line then you won't get TV via the Orange decoder as it has to be connected to the Livebox and online so there is no point in getting a technician out as there is nothing for him to do !

[quote user="Alpinemist"]Thanks Everyone

Looks like we will be without TV for a while. At least we know what's wrong.

Thanks for all your help.[/quote]

In case you did not understand, there is no mainstream UK TV with Orange. It is mostly French channels with only a few news channels in English.

Danny

I don't think so, remember the OP said:

[quote user="Alpinemist"]No we don't have any phone sockets, must admit I thought it was all done via wireless internet.[/quote]

I'm sure they would not be the first to make such an erroneous assumption, nor indeed the last.

For those in the know it's seldom easy to step right back to when they too didn't [;-)]