DVD recorder switches TV on automatically when a timed programme starts.

I have just bought a Panasonic dvd recorder (French version DMREX 773) and hooked it up to my satellite box. I have the French terrestrial ariel plugged into the dvd recorder. All French programmes work well as does the satallite link on UK progs. when I switch the input select.

My problem is that when I programme in a satellite based show on the timer on the DVD recorder, it switches the TV on the moment that the recording starts.

Also, the TV sometimes switches itself on for no apparent reason in the early hours of the morning! Bit of a pain when one is fast asleep in the room above!!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Is the TV off or just on standby when this happens?  Best cure is normally to switch the TV off properly (ie with its on-off switch, not the remote) then it cannot happen.  It also reduces power consumption which will continue on standby even if the TV appears to be off.

My Panasonic recorder has a strange relationship with my TV (Pioneer) too but turning the latter off properly prevents any problems.

If you are using a HDMI cable, you should check your HDMI-CEC settings."Fortunately" every brand uses its own name and interpretation of the CEC protocol, so check the manual of both devices.  The CEC allows HDMI devices to control each other when necessary and allows the user to operate multiple devices with one remote control handset.

It is possible that your DVD recorder switches your TV on , because you "ordered" them to do so.

More info here.

Somewhere in the Panasonic controls (something like Menu/Setup/Viera Link) will be an option to turn linking functions on and off which *might* work: although probably not. In my case I have a Panasonic TV, a Panasonic Bluray, and a Panasonic A/V receiver (all inter-connected with HDMI cables), and despite turning all Viera Link functions off on both the TV and the individual peripherals, the TV still manages to default to the bluray play every time I turn it on. Equally annoying, every time I cut away from a DVD. (to check - say -  if a satellite programme is recording, or if something has started yet) when I go back, the Bluuray player has turned itself off, and usually lost it's chapter mark as well.

As the Americans would say, "Go figure !"

paul

Similar problem with a Samsung BluRay and Samsung Plasma TV connected with HDMI; when I want to play a CD Audio on the BluRay with a Stereo feed to the 5.1 Audio System, the BluRay insists on lighting up the TV to display a CD select menu. It is very irritating.

If  I disconnect the HDMI cable then the BluRay will  play CDs through the 5.1 without seeking to light up the TV.

Like a number of things in our modern over-technical world, I file it under the general heading of 'smart-arze technology'  Like car engine management systems which can't tell the difference between an actual fault, and a faulty sensor. Or hyper-secure online banking systems which won't let you effect a transaction without a one-time passcode, which HAS to be sent via a mobile. Great except when you live in an area outside of the mobile phone service area (thanks, Santander!)

p