Just to clarify - Sky in France

Currently have Virgin Media in the UK and a Sky box with card in France (left by previous owners) and get the free channels.

About to move to an area without Virgin cable so time to change.

Our options are:

BT phone and broadband and Freeview TV for £28 / month

Virgin phone and broadband and Freeview TV for £33.89 / month

Sky Phone, Broadband and Entertainment + for £54.25 (£44.75 for first twelve months) per month (the area does not have the normal Sky phone and broadband access.

In addition, from April next year we will be spending a lot more time in France.

So from reading some of the other posts if I go the Sky route and bring over the card AND box I will get the same channels as in the UK, bring just the card and it will not work with the existing box.

Q mentioned in one of the posts about Sky and Canal having to be made available within the EU - is there any more info on this and might it change the option above.

Thanks

Paul

It's slighty pedantic, but you haven't included the Free sat option. Buy a box from the likes of Argos for about £30, which you can take with you if you like (but for £30.....?). No card needed. More channels than Freeview (But obviously not as many as a sky subscription).

At the UK end, why do you need satellite TV or TV over phone line at all if you just want the Freeview channels?

You can get just broadband and phone for a lot less - eg £18.50 with PlusNet (a BT subsidiary). Then you can use a Freesat box or just a normal terrestrial aerial.

With regards to the recent UK court case, don't expect anything to happen very soon in France wrt Sky.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="PaulT"]

Q mentioned in one of the posts about Sky and Canal having to be made available within the EU - is there any more info on this and might it change the option above.

Thanks

Paul

[/quote]

It's only a might and its a big might at that and as somebody said it won't happen for a long time.

Thanks for the replies.

Did look at Plusnet but where we are moving to means that broadband with a fairly low download limit and phone will cost about £29.

Yes, Freesat does have more channels but does not have the likes of Discovery and National Geographic etc which I very much enjoy so it means paying for TV.

Regards

Paul

[quote user="PaulT"]Yes, Freesat does have more channels but does not have the likes of Discovery and National Geographic etc which I very much enjoy so it means paying for TV.[/quote]So in other words your first two options were not options at all [;-)]

Regarding your question about the Sky card no, it will not work in a different box.

[quote user="AnOther"]Yes that's correct but at the £54.25/mth mentioned I think (or I hope [:-))]) that the OP is talking about the full Sports and Movies package and therefore a tied card.[;-)][/quote]

Re your other post - my first two were options if I did not want the likes of Discovery etc

And the 54.25 is without Sports and Movie packages - this is due to moving to an area where Sky does not have an exchange so Broadband is expensive. So this is where I will consider the first two options especially as the Broadband connection will be slower than normal with a limited amount of download.

Paul

[quote user="Anton Redman"]Why not decouple the Sky Subscriotion for Sat TV from the broadband sub and buyb the best/cheapest local brioadband retaining the Sky sub for Discovery etc ?[/quote]

Phone and broadband

via Virgin £33.89

via BT £28

via Plusnet -circa £30

Entertainment + from Sky £25 (not taking phone and boradband does not alter price)

so financially and just having one bill seems sensible if I want Discovery then to go with Sky

Paul