Problem viewing web page.

[quote user="cooperlola"]I have indeed switched on to the "don't update until I've looked at what you're trying to do to my pc" option.  This was triggered by the IE9 thing but boosted by the fact that my (relatively new) pc has got very clunky very quickly and I'm convinced that much of this is due to what I think is called "bloatware" (?) forced upon me by the various automatic updates I'm given.  It's been quite an eye opener seeing the list of things which before would have downloaded regardless.  Yesterday there were add-ons in about 40 different languages (I run 7 Ultimate so I can get spell check etc in French and English) I'll never use in my lifetime.[/quote]

Same as you Coops. I also like to see what it's giving me before I install them but I do install all the 'Required' ones. The language ones are options so unless you want to install them (by marking them manually for install) they will be ignored so you don't have to worry about them. They are simply the language pack that comes with the Ultimate versions of Vista and W7.

If you have a computer that is still covered by warranty you should carry out all the updates because if something other than an obvious hardware failure occurred the first thing they will ask is if it is up to date. Bit like printers and refilled cartridges etc, during the warranty period only use their own brand consumables (other than paper of course) as if you read the very, and I mean very, small print you will find that your warranty is not valid. HP went to the lengths of putting a chemical in their inks so an engineer could swab the print head, process it to tell if it was a genuine refill before he (or she) started work.

So if yours is running slow and you have done all the updates try taking it back to the shop if it's still in warranty, there may be something wrong.

[quote user="AnOther"]My thanks to those who have given sensible and measured support and would remind PPP of what I said which was:

"Like a lot of things it is turned on by default supposedly to help those who do not know how to help themselves" [;-)]
[/quote]

Well it looks like C has helped himself to undefault it and got himself a rootkit for his troubles.

And then again with this "poxy" new forum layout I'm thinking of seeking refugee status on AI.

A rootkit which only makes images disappear on a specific web page and hides IE's magnification icon, yeah right, which one would that be ?

Chancer, you can magnify any web page by holding down the Ctrl key and rolling your mouse wheel, works for the Desktop and in some Windows and programmes too [;-)]

Well no news from chancer, he must be resting his mouse scroll finger.

Let me recapitulate on your recommendation for security with Windows.

1) Dont update.

2) Consider updating an SP several months after its release.

3) Install an executable blocker.

4) Use a free eastern european antivirus programme.

Have I missed something?

Chancer has pretty much given up on this forum for the moment.

Chancer is a bit of a dinasour and doesnt like change unless it is for the better.

Chancer does not have a mouse hence no mouse wheel.

Chancer does not have the patience to page down 11 times on every page of this new and improved forum just to be able to read the postings that are hidden under 11 pages of white, I should say try to read, as the text is tiny and the contrast on the white background very tiring on the eyes.

Chancer does not want to have to load another browser or operating system, he has no-one to support him geek wise and every time he has done so in the past with help it has brought ten times more problems without even resolving the original one

Its a shame as this forum is pretty much my only link with the outside world and I value the opinion of pretty much all of the contributors,  enjoy reading what they have to say and contributing myself.

I hope someone will contact me when things are usable again.

[quote user="Chancer"]I hope someone will contact me when things are usable again.[/quote]

Well it's your choice but ... you can view with many fewer problems if you use Firefox.

http://www.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/fx/   you want the green download button for the French version.

And again :

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/ the green button for the English/US download.

Sue

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="AnOther"]... I have long used a tiny little free programme I found which traps any executables which attempt to insinuate themselves into my startup. It's here if anybody wants it and I can confirm that it works both in Vista and Windows 7.
http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
Stay safe now [geek][/quote]
I have been using WinPatrol for years now. It does the same and a few more things.
Whenever a program tries to modify the way the computer works, a pop-up screen appears to ask me to confirm or deny access.
It's free and it works.
[/quote]

I have also used WinPatrol for several years; I like the Activex Controls and the Recent Tab.

Once again, I've had to remove or delete posts from a thread. [:@]

The culprits are always the same. You know who you are. Everybody knows who you are.

The Mods have quite enough to deal with at the moment to waste their time dealing with your childish point-scoring. If you cannot post helpful replies, sit on your hands.

Some of you have already been warned, so behave or take the consequences.

Questions about this message by report or PM only.

The Mods.