Beware of these phone calls

Just had a phone  call from someone with an Indian accent calling (they say) on behalf of Microsoft and telling me that for the last couple of months they have been receiving notifications of a virus on my computer - BEWARE.  Read this article and if you get a similar call, tell the caller to politely not bother you again, or anything else:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres

Jan

Interesting

I had the same call today. Pointed out I worked in IT for over 20 years and managed security. They suddenly went politely cold. They called on a landline. I'm not aware Microsoft know that number!??

John

It relies on the victim coffing up the 185 quid... if at the end they asked for money I would just put the phone down...

...not that I would trust a cold call in the first place.

I get alot of calls from Orange but I am sure alot of them are some 'partner' trying to make a buck on the side... although they guarantee they are orange.

We had an Indian guy who kept phoning trying to sell us advertising on Ryanair. Quite silly really because we are already on their site via one of their partners.

I don't suppose these 'Microsoft' guys give an English name? My guy said his name was Bill yet you could tell my his speach he was very much and Indian. He was very persistent about us looking at his website and must have phoned us about eight or ten times before I used a very nasty Indian swear word on him that I learned years ago.

It was mentioned in the other thread I know but there is something on the Microsoft website about this scam and Microsoft categorically state they never, ever, phone up end users.