Blue screen on start up

Following my recent computer problems where the computer would or wouldn't start up correctly. A technicien visited and of course the computer started pêrfectly first time! I described the problems and the stages that the computer went through and he installed a free cleaner .

The next time I started it, same old problems and the programs he deleted had returned and the one he had installed had disappeared, so I reinstalled it. Worked well for a couple of days then I started to have a blue screen on start up, googled it and it is I think the not very promising name of, 'blue screen of death' and it wouldn't start at all.

I tried to do a manufacturers partial recovery as the program started it wouldn't change or lose anything, however I think this may have made the problem worse.

Will I be throwing good money after bad if I get the technicien back, is there anything I could do myself?

there is alot of helpful info on the BSOD available with instructions on how to resolve the problem...

for me, I would wipe the disk and reinstall the operating system, all info will be lost of course, if you can get it to work at all maybe you could make a copy ofvital personal files? then reinstall the system , which is quite straight forward

When I had a similar problem (machine locked when starting XP) I loaded a "live CD" version of Ubuntu Linux. I was then able to see the files on the hard drive and save those I needed. I then re-formatted the disk and re-installed XP.

You need to know a bit about Linux though.

it can be a software issue but it is frequently seen in the case of failing components too like the hard drive or memory modules or other parts on the motherboard.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001141.htm

If you have two - or more - memory modules, you can try removing one at a time to see if there is any change in behaviour. This would indicate a faulty module.

If you have any files, photos etc that you want to keep then you need to back up (make copies!) ASAP if you can access the files. If the hard drive is failing, you may lose any files on it.

Try starting up in safe mode if you can  - hold down F8 while starting up.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Danny

Blue screen of death if far more the blue screen of sheer anoyance. It sounds like the registry is corrupted. does the machine eventually start up?

Have a look at the upgrading thread AnOther posted a good registry cleaner, ok you have to purchase it but it will as others do untangle some of the mess. Back up all your useful information and files, save all your passwords and email addresses and do as tj has suggested if you don't want to purchase anything at the moment. It maybe a voyage into the unknown but if you have ALL the disks that came with the machine (operating system and utilities etc) then go for it, it's a very empowering experience [:D]

[quote user="g8vkv"]When I had a similar problem (machine locked when starting XP) I loaded a "live CD" version of Ubuntu Linux. I was then able to see the files on the hard drive and save those I needed. I then re-formatted the disk and re-installed XP.

You need to know a bit about Linux though.

[/quote]

Same as I do, this is a sure way of getting your data off a machine that won't boot Windoze.

If you have the original Windows disk (CD) you can but the disk in your drive then restart your computer. It will boot off the CD and present you with a list of options, one of these will be System Recovery. If you run this it will scan Windows and replace any changed Windows files with the originals and this may fix your problem.

Pressing F8 is OK to start it in Safe Mode but then you need to fix the problem, if you don't know whats broken you won't know what to fix. However you may need to do this to run the next bit below.

Another alternative is to 'roll back' to when the machine was good by doing a System Restore. To do this go to the Windows Help and type in System Restore, this will tell you about system restore and what it does, there is an option in the text to do a System Restore so you just click on it. You then have the option to either 'roll back' to the last restore point or you can ask for another point which will bring up a calendar, you can toggle back a few months if you wish, the object is to select a date prior to you having problems with your computer. Follow the instructions to restore your computer. If it does not work then try again going back a bit further. You may find afterwards that one or two programs that you installed since the that restore point don't work and may need installing again. If you do need to do this do them one at a time checking the system as you go as it may be one of those programs that caused the problem, if it does then go back and restore again from the point you chose originally and don't install that program. The other thing that will happen is it will have undone all the Microsoft updates so it will re-install them for you which can be a pain as some of the more recent ones have been quite big and can take a while to download and install.

Hope that helps.

Thank you all for the replies. I am going to try and get somewhere with it this afternoon, so if I don't give an update, you'll know why.

When I tried the partial restore , all that seems to have happened is that the blue screen or the one after it is now in English!

From bad to worse

After I had the new message on the blue screen I turned the computer off and left it to ponder my next move and ask for help here.

So yesterday I turned the computer on and now the computer isn't speaking to the monitor, I have tried a new cable and think that this is another new malfunction with the computer.

Back up what you can asap, does sound bad. My old one is also blue screening but settled back down since running registry cleaner last week but has begun acting up again this afternoon. Still loading the replacement PC with docs and apps and waiting for my new keyboard.

Time to get backing up, don't put it off any longer.

[quote user="Gardener"]So yesterday I turned the computer on and now the computer isn't speaking to the monitor[/quote]Are you saying that you no longer get the BIOS and other startup info on the screen, just nothing, nada ?

That does not really tie in with the previous BSOD fault.

A graphics card problem perhaps ?

The monitor says no signal. I unplugged everything the the day and when I put all the leads back in, this happens. The computer sounds like it is going through the same process as before, starting up and closing down again, but without the monitor I can't tell.

I hope that I've got everything off it that I need .

• 1 year later...
Apologies for reviving old thread but I think I am heading down that path again!

I lost all on the computer but got it repaired quite cheaply and all was well. Recently the screen / keyboard has been sticking to the extent that alt / control/ delete won't fix it and i have had to turn computer on and off. The computer or fan has been whirring and according to speccy the temp has been around 57 degrees , i have done something to reduce the power but it still whirrs btw please don't confuse me for anyone who knows anything about computers,

I run cc cleaner regularly and still seem to have quite q bit of free disk space, all is backed up on an external hard drive so now do i wait for the blue screen of death to haunt me again or is there anymore a complete computer numpty can do?