Caller display shows any number that wants to be seen from whatever country the call originates from. Caller display is set to 'on' as default. In France for some strange reason many people stop their numbers from being displayed. Some people won't answer the phone unless the number is displayed but those of us with business's can't afford that luxury.

Thanks Norman,

I've put my mobile details in my LL phone memory and tried calling the landline and its displays "external call"

I've noticed FT have a "Stop Secret" option which seems to offer the same sort of service you describe

Is there somewhere on the FT website I can check if my caller display has been disabled

Stay warm !

John

Norman, is there any way of seeing what numbers you have blocked and unblocking them if necessary?

I did block a few a few years ago but the inconvenience with Free is that you cannot see who the last caller that you answered, usually a silent telesales call was from to decide whether to block it or not, it might just be a friend who has fallen on a bad connection.

A while back you advised me to block spam senders on my Hotmail account, I did it for a couple of weeks and despite having hundreds of blocked E-mail addresses it didnt seem to stem the flow, in fact many of them seem to generate a random e-mail address each time to spam me and it always seemed to happen after I had blocked them for the first time so in fact I started getting more not less spam, I think that when they get a bounced mail they know it is a live account so then go to plan B the random sending address spam.

I did however manage to block at least 2 genuine contacts [:(] there may be more that I am unaware of, hence my request.

Chancer,

Have a look at Mailwasher - from Firetrust - to check mail while it's still on the server.

It doesn't block spam, but lets you decide what you want and what you don't. It has a go at deciding what is spam or not,but you can label each mail for deletion or OK it. So it 'learns' what you want.

Sorry, just re-read your post, and I suppose you read Hotmail on the server, so no help. Still, it might help someone.

Apologies to OP for OT reply.

@+

Andrew 44

[quote user="andrew44"]Chancer,

Have a look at Mailwasher - from Firetrust - to check mail while it's still on the server.

It doesn't block spam, but lets you decide what you want and what you don't. It has a go at deciding what is spam or not,but you can label each mail for deletion or OK it. So it 'learns' what you want.

Sorry, just re-read your post, and I suppose you read Hotmail on the server, so no help. Still, it might help someone.

Apologies to OP for OT reply.

@+

Andrew 44
[/quote]

I use Mailwasher Pro for personal and business use, it is very good.

Both the free version and the pro version do support Hotmail etc, I quote from their help section.

"MailWasher supports both POP3 and IMAP accounts. Your email settings and account type will in most cases be imported in to MailWasher when you set it up, otherwise you will need to ask your email provider for your email settings if you do not know them. Many webmail providers offer access via POP3 or IMAP such as Hotmail (POP3), Yahoo (POP3), GMail (POP3 & IMAP)."

Hotmail (and the others) also work with Outlook and Outlook express. Hotmail will cease to exists along with Microsoft Messenger Live later this year. If you have Hotmail you need to convert to Outlook and you should have received am email telling you how to do this Microsoft Messenger Live is replaced with Skype which is now owned by Microsoft and come embedded in Windows 8.

Unless I'm losing the plot I think this thread has been highjacked by Chancer

Back to the subject!

I keep the FT line for incoming calls only because I can't rely on the internet phone number I got with the package "goes down at the drop of a hat"

Switches off and needs re-activated in the livebox software at least once a month. OH sometimes picks up the FT phone for a outgoing call but that only happens now and again, The Skype phone we had as well for a while was a phone too far

I've tried the instructions Norman has given earlier and it works now

Thanks for all the help

John

Not guilty!

The question that I asked was regarding blocking unwanted phone calls, its just others being helpfull regarding my hotmail, I dont/wont telecharge any new software as it always ends in tears for me and I never actually get any benefit, just grief.

Cant believe that Hotmail will cease to exist, millions use it, that said I have been invited to upgrade to some MSN Skype thingy, not interested for the above reasons.

Back to the phone calls, thanks for the explanation Norman, but can you seem my point, you dont actually know the number of the last person that called you only if you dont pick up so if you get a silent call like most of the ones that I get these days you cannot risk blocking it without at least knowing what their number was which the system will not let you. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

My phone actually does display the callers number and I have blocked all incoming calls from with-held numbers, that is a good feature, the impôts controlleuse who is on my back at the moment really gets the hump about it [:D], anyway the silent calls often are from strange numbers, perhaps overseas but they dont look like French landline numbers, it also sometimes fils to display the number even if it isnt with-held, a friend that used to call me via some satlink internet and phone abonnement  or maybe it was skype, his number would never show, I guess thats because it was an outgoing only service and I didnt have a number to phone him on, in any case if I were to block a silent call it could have been him or a relation, I just wouldnt know.

I think some of the telemarketters have hot on this way of not showing their number but still being able to get past my with-held numbers block.

I removed it for a while before signing up for pacitel thinking that would put a stop to the sales calls, in fact they multiplied after signing up so I re-instated the block.

I think that Pacitel sell the mailing list of all their subscribers just as the body dealing with AE's does, there should be some kind of law against it, France for fraudsters is like shooting fish in a barrel.