Distressed pony

Today I had the chance to get a photo of a poor pony. We have seen this poor animal before but this is the first chance to get the photo. Can anyone tell me where we should report this too please?

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/DSC02166.jpg[/IMG]

It is in a field close to the West side of Carcassonne by the River Aude.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This makes me so angry !

I once reported a pony with feet like this to the RSPCA in Scotland. I was disappointed that, in the absence of a local inspector, they sent the vet who usually attended the cows on that farm so there wasn't much of a reprimand. At least the pony's feet were trimmed.

There is no excuse for this sort of neglect.

Good luck with this.

Hoddy

Thanks Russethouse for emailing me regarding this topic.

Here is some info from the website of Equine Rescue France( www.equinerescuefrance.org ). I sincerely hope something can be done to help this poor pony, however please  be aware that sometimes there is so much damage already done that the poor thing may have to be PTS[:(]. I do however hope the information below will be of some help. 

If you know of, or have heard of an equine needing help here are some options for you to consider;

• If the equine looks badly injured or has been involved in an accident please contact the Gendarmerie and/or a local vet.

• If you are concerned about an equine because it is malnourished, looks in bad health, is being abused  or you are concerned because of  risk of injury occuring you can do one of the following...

Contact us by email or by telephone (emergencies only please) on 05 45 30 06 16.

Contact a local welfare organisation, the S.P.A   http://www.spa.asso.fr/  or L.F.P.C  http://www.lfpc.asso.fr/

Go to the Maire local to where the equine is and put in a report stating your concerns. Any evidence is very useful to take with you.

Make a Porter plainte with the Gendarmerie.

Contact a local vet and state your concerns.

• If you have an equine you can no longer care for and wish to gift it to ERF please contact us and we will try and re-home them.

Equine Rescue France will always try and help with any of the above situations but we are mainly based around departments 16, 86, 87 and 24.

[email protected]

At the very least, it makes you want to cry. Then you ask the question "How can such neglect be allowed to happen in this day and age?" It is so sad.

Good luck with bringing this case to light and I truly hope you have success in helping this poor pony....even if it can't be saved, you will know that you have helped it out of it's obvious misery.

The front feet look horrendous, but might be able to be sorted with the help of a good farrier. There is obviously no grazing or food for the poor thing, and I doubt it has much fresh water either looking at the picture. But all these can be remedied with care and attention, as long as there is no longer term damage. Let's hope a rescue centre can sort something out. It looks as though it could be such a sweet little pony, I can't understand why people keep them if they can't be bothered with them. 

Something that I can't understand is that this poor pony is in a paddock at the side of the path alongside the River Aude within a mile or so of the Cite of Carcassonne and is passed by dozens, probably hundreds, of people every day and in full site. Why has it not been reported before?

Thank you for the info as to who to contact. I will try tomorrow morning, but as it is Saturday??? If I can't get anyone I will try again on Monday. It may well be worth taking the photos I have to our vet?

[quote user="Geordie girl"]OMG........ poor thing, what happened to it jonzjob?[/quote]

Sorry jonzjob, my comment must have seemed really stupid, but i don`t know about horses and i really thought the horse was badly deformed through its birth or something but certainly not through neglect. It didn`t occur to me that someone could have let this happen, it`s so sad it makes you weep. I just wish we could help it.Poor poor thing; [:(]

I've put him on here John to see what they suggest.

http://cheval-sauvetage-ass.forumactif.fr/foire-aux-questions-f10/poney-neglige-t3671.htm#47663

Funny I've tried several times, but this link won't come out correctly, perhaps as you have to be a member.

It's this site in case you can get their front page

http://cheval-sauvetage-ass.forumactif.fr/index.htm

Sorry, doesn't work either !

I have just tried the link and if the offending letters are inserted it works OK, but you have to be registered with them.

A thought came to my OH this morning. She wondered if this poor animal is already a rescue? Also in the same field is a donkey, a mule and a larger pony. They all look in reasonable condition and not thin so they must be getting food and water. In this part of the country there is not much grass to be had for anything and all of the horses have to be fed extra. Even our choky labrador turns her nose up at the poo cause it's not grass fed!![:-))]! The pony in the photo is not thin either, quite chbby in fact, so it's a bit of a mystery.

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/WestCarcassonne.jpg[/IMG]

The position of the field is directly above the name Monplasir on the map. It is on the South bank of the river and about 800 meters from the playing fields to the West along the river.

I have e-mailed the local lady at the LFPC with the photo and map, so all I can do at the moment is wait for a reply?

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

I have just tried the link and if the offending letters are inserted it works OK, but you have to be registered with them.

A thought came to my OH this morning. She wondered if this poor animal is already a rescue? Also in the same field is a donkey, a mule and a larger pony. They all look in reasonable condition and not thin so they must be getting food and water. In this part of the country there is not much grass to be had for anything and all of the horses have to be fed extra. Even our choky labrador turns her nose up at the poo cause it's not grass fed!![:-))]! The pony in the photo is not thin either, quite chbby in fact, so it's a bit of a mystery.

[/quote]

I Would be very surprised that anyone who had rescued this poor animal would leave it for any length of time without taking any action on it's hooves.  There is no sign from the photo's that any attempt has been made to rectify the situation to my eye.

There's no sign of any attempt to the naked eye either? The rear feet are OK. I would have thought that they would have been in the same condition.

Geordie Girl, sorry if this is teaching to suck eggs, but the hooves on a horse are the same (ish) as your finger nails and if they are not subject to being worn down on abrasive surfaces like roads, etc., or trimmed by a farrier then this is how they grow. The biggest problem is that the 'quick' on the foot grows with the hoof to a certain extent and when that happens the hoof can't be cut back to a normal size without causing a load of pain to the animal. The hoof has no nerves or blood supply, but the quick has both. The same as a dogs claws I suppose?

Thank you CA for your help. If the people who want to se this poor pony would like us to show them where it is then we are certainly will to show them... Any time.

Thanks jonzjob, in my ignorance of horses, i really really thought, on seeing the photo that the poor pony had been born like that, a freak of nature; i`ve never in my life seen anything like it. I`m still upset about it and if anyone wants to start a collection for the treatment of its feet, then i`ll be the first to donate. Please let me know. I`m bloody worried sick about the poor thing [:(]

The pony in the picture is probably a Shetland or Shetland cross and is not a young pony. It looks as if it has had laminitis at some time in it life, for those of you that don't know of the condition it is a very serious foot disorder caused by several different things, but mostly in small ponies  overeating of to rich grass. what happened is the feet, usually the front feet become very painful and the pony gets a certain amount of relief from shifting is weight to the hind quarters and therefore the weight on the front feet is borne mostly by the heels, if the feet are not trimmed regularly to keep them balanced, the toes don't get worn down and the heels grow rapidly, this pony will not have had its feet trimmed for at least 18 months - 2 years and possibly longer, from it's stance it is in pain and has been walking on its heels for some time. It probably isn't that 'chubby' either as it has a very thick winter coat that could be 2" thick.

John is right in saying that it is not an easy job to correct this condition because the hoof has been distorted and may not be possible  to re balance the front feet and relieve the pain. This poor pony needs immediate treatment and if a pain fee future can not be achieved it should be put to sleep.

This sort a thing goes on in all countries and its disgusting weather it's though neglect or ignorance.

Thank god you noticed it and maybe something can be done. I do hope you can get someone or some organization to take care of this pony soon

Good luck