my special rescue from Spain

Here she is - by kind help from Levriers en Dangers - wonderful people!  If any of you out there have the tiniest chance to open your hearts enough to take in one of these amazingly courageous animals who suffer terrible abuse and yet remain kind and patient....... you will be so rewarded!

help - don't know how to post a pic....?

ok I'm a wuss....... it all looks too complicated to upload a pic.  Take it from me folks she's a little star despite being horribly maimed and now has only one eye and partially sighted in the remaining one, starved and hiding herself and her pups along the roadsides in Seville to escape re-capture by her violent owner, she is just fantastic.  She arrived in southern France with her pups after a long traumatic journey up through Spain together with 25 others who were all facing onward journeys to foster homes in Lyon, Paris and Switzerland - exhausted but all just so sweet and terribly terribly sad.  Some good people and homes await them after their terrible trials I pray!  I have been so moved by this episode that I have pledged to become a foster 'mum' next year to the disabled and old ones (like my little one) when our house renovations allow me more time to dedicate to the many that are always in need.  There will always be room 'for one more' for as long as I am able to give them the care they need and deserve.  I shall join the ranks of those of have been doing it tirelessly for years and their dedication cannot be broadcast enough as far as I am concerned.  To try to right in some small way the wrong doings of our fellow man.

Oh Alleycat your a star along with all the other wonderful people who rescue, I only wish I was there to help, one day when our house in the UK is sold and we have settled in France, I will be able to help. Keep up the good work, I follow you all every evening on the forum. You are all priceless.

Yes that's her!  She's just gorgeous and already beginning to look more relaxed and fuller in the figure!  Her eye is still weeping a bit but nothing to speak of and she lets me clean it no trouble.  We have re-named her Pippa and look forward to giving her the confidence she needs to enjoy life - she is scared of her own shadow right now and follows me around everywhere and sleeps curled up under the duvet at night with us!  My other three rescues have been so kind and gentle with her it's as if they know she has had a hard time and needs a break.  I actually think she will rule the rooste once she's been with us for a while.  She's as dainty as a fawn and as swift as a gazelle!  There are so many like her and my thoughts are with the others and the good people who try to help them.  Thank you for posting the picture Christine and thank you all for your lovely expressions of delight.  I will post some pictures of her here very soon as I will get to working out how to do it - just so taken up with her right now!  I'm such a sad case aren't I.... like having a new baby!  To my grateful relief my husband was as moved as I was that shocking morning when we went to collect her in Narbonne and understand completely the need I have to give my time and future help to these poor poor creatures.

Thanks Mimi - what I did was the easy bit, all the organisation that goes into rescuing these poor creatures is the tough side.  She's still very jumpy poor thing and very clingy but then she took quite a beating so it's no wonder and I am sure she will soon learn she has nothing more to fear - she's very bright.  I am going to keep her on a long lead for several weeks around the place for safety sake as she is very agile and any sudden thing spooks her and could send her shooting off over a fence etc.   In a way it's good it's winter and she's keen to get back indoors by the fire!  She's sitting on my knee as I type......... with a full tummy!

Well done Alleycat!   She is a lucky girl to have a new family to love and care for her.  Its just tragic that there are so many ill-treated and neglected animals in this cruel world.

I hope that seeing her looking so at peace with her new life that other folks will open their hearts to a little dog who needs some loving, or as in our case a BIG DOG!   The rewards are boundless.

Remember, if you can't actually adopt an animal yourself you can help in lots of others ways to shoulder the burden of having enough to go round...........  they need warm blankets and coats for winter so if you're good with a sewing machine and have oddments of unwanted clothes or old duvets you are really hanging on to for no good reason (don't we all!) they will be so very welcome!  It means that what money there is can go on other much needed resources like medicines and food for the poor souls that are confined to stark refuge conditions in the coldest months of the year.  You can knit dog blankets and coats as well - lots of ideas and patterns if you Google search.  Winter months give us time we wouldn't otherwise have to do such things - they would be so grateful.  When we collected our little Podenco last Sunday in a howling gale, the back of the van had blankets  for the dogs and also the really thin and trembling ones had blankets in the cages too.  As we unloaded some of the cages to get to our little one (they were stacked three deep!) they threw the blankets over the cages to protect them from the wind and rain and they told me that they never have enough!  So come on you clever sewing ladies - if your home is unable to accept an adoption for whatever reason, give them your kindness in other ways and it will make you feel good.

Yes Framboise, the rewards are indeed boundless as we know from having done it - for some, having an animal to care for and the love and loyalty it gives in return can turn someone's life around quite literally - it's hard to be depressed for instance, when you have a four legged friend to get up for in the mornings who's always there with a ready smile and a wagging tail and then at the end of the day when you are relaxing and they curl up near you for company - how can you be miserable or lonely?