Bidets

There seem to be differences of opinion as to whether we should instal one. Builder says "Who needs one?"; electrician says "Who cares?"; plumber says "I'd put one in if I were you" - but then he'd be the one making the charge.
Who is right? Are bidets for old biddies these days in France?
Rob

When I told my French teacher that my house had a Bidet, she accused me of being posh. Now, she has lived in the UK for 20 odd years, so may be out of touch on such things, but she certainly thought they were not the norm these days. Mine has now gone to the tip and a second WC will soon take it's place (NO, not two WC's in the same room)!

John (99 usually, but 73 sometimes and always in my dreams)

Actually I was thinking about this last night when I could not sleep (yup totally bored). I think I would like one in our new en suite bathroom that is going in the roof, they have their uses even if only to wash ones feet and soak the socks. No joking aside, I think I would like one, I have always used one in hotels.

Don't worry, probably just my age

Di
http://www.iceni-it.co.uk

We were advised against having them by the architect at the planning stage as unnecessary. He said modern French homes don't have them. The plumber who has sold us the bathroom fittings has made no comment at their absence.

I have always been told that bidets are considered rather pass in France but sworn by in Germany / Holland. I think they are on the ugly side and add little aesthetically to the bathroom.

Would not be without one. I loved them when I lived in France many years ago, so much more hygenic, although probably superceded mow by wet wipes.

Now much older and with bad arthritis in shoulders and back the bidet is absolutely essential.

• 2 weeks later...
If you eat a good varied diet, it should come out clean and in a good firm stool. Wet wipes won't kill you and take up far less room in the bathroom than a bidet! There's one in our bathroom in France, but no toilet in same room, what do we do hobble into the bathroom from the toilet room with trousers around ankles, probably trip up and end up with head in bidet!!

The bidet is going, a shower cubicle will take it's place. At least we can wash more than our bum in the shower!

Regards to all,

Bob