Anyone called Barton reading this...

Well the good news is that Poppy will be leaving the SPA in Toulouse on Monday to go to a foster home. If we don't find her owner, we already have an offer of a forever home for her here in France.

So it looks like things are really looking up for Poppy.

http://ineedahome.yolasite.com/poppy.php

Well call me cynical, but in some ways I hope that little Poppy goes to a good home rather than back to her owners!  Yes, we need to hear the whole story for sure, but I am damn sure that if I had lost my little OLD dog (I take the point Christine made that the dog might have been stolen - nevertheless) I would have camped out,  tramped the streets from morning till night, put in motion all the publicity I could (as was done to find them!) and not slept till I found her.  We'll see but I remain sceptical - either way that little old lady has won out bless her and will be out of that place on Monday I hope, one way or another.

Dear All,

Thank you for your great concern following the loss of my fathers dog. I would just like to clear up a few points that I see people have made. My Grandfather became very ill at the end of July this year and Poppy was passed to a family who loved her and wanted to look after her whilst my father was in the UK looking after his dad. He was in the UK for a month and during this time the family asked if they could keep Poppy permenently because they loved her so much. Something with my father agreed to as he didn't know how long he would be out of France for. It is now clear that this family had lost Poppy, yet were continuing to ring my father with news that she was very settled and being 'spoilt'! We certainly as a family would never abandon a dog and are greatful at the concern the nation has shown concerning Poppy's welfare and are just very glad that she is safe and sound. I would also just like to correct the British media...the rescue home have never once said that Poppy would be put down and this is certainly not going to happen to a healthy dog, whether she is old or not. Once again thank you very much for you're help and concern.

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us all know the situation Ashleigh.  Just goes to show how very careful you have to be when you give a pet to someone.  Poppy has been very lucky and I agree, I didn't care for the headlines that she was on death row.  There is always a certain delay, especially if they have an identity.

May it also be a lesson for people to realise the importance of having their microchips registered here once they are in France.

May I ask where Poppy will be going now.  Does this mean that your father will be taking her back?

I don't see think any of us are in a position to criticise. Someone thought they had made good provision for the care of their dog and concentrated on looking after their father. I find that praiseworthy.

It is also very poor psychology. In the face of such criticism perhaps people will just keep quiet in the future rather than be villified by strangers.

Hoddy

Poppy was found on the 31st of July, the day after my grandfather was diagnosed as critically ill and on his death bed. My father entrusted Poppy into someone else's care, who then abused this trust by asking if they could keep her.. a decision my father decided to go with as he didn't know how long my grandfather would be in hospital and decided that for Poppy's welfare it would be best if she was rehomed...something we have now found out was not the case, in this kind of situation I love how people criticise the people that were trying to do the best for the her welfare, where has anyone actually mentioned on here the dispicable family who lied and said she was fine and enjoying her new home, whilst knowing full well she was not within their care??? I have thanked everyone for their concern regarding the situation but will certainly not tolerate abusive or defamatory comments regarding my family on this matter, there is a very famous saying, if you have nothing nice to say then don't bother saying it at all.

Perhaps in this situation people could take heed of this and let our family grieve for our recently deceased grandfather/father and concentrate on Poppy rather than having to spend our lives on the internet defending ourselves from people who feel the need to make silly unnecessary comments. Surely the most important point within all of this is that Poppy is safe and sound & I think we will call this 'end of conversation'.

To those of you who have been nothing but kind and supportive throughout I once again, thank you for your kind words :)

Ashleigh, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather and send my condolences. I'm delighted that Poppy has been identified and her future is brighter.

I have just re-read through the last couple of pages on this thread and hope that it was not your father that was being criticised, but the people who agreed to take Poppy and look after her. It's rather difficult to know to whom is being referred when the poster says 'the owner'.  Personally I think it was very kind of your father to agree that his friends could keep a little dog he was no doubt very fond of, as he felt in the circumstances it was best for Poppy given that he didn't know for how long he would be in the UK. He no doubt thought she would be well looked after and was obviously, from what you said, quite unaware that she had got lost. Whilst the new owners could probably have done more to find her (as they are unable to tell us we, at least, don't know their side of the story) it is possible they were worried about losing her, but didn't know what to say to your father about it and felt he had enough to cope with at the time - maybe not the wisest thing to do but I can understand why they may have thought that.

Best wishes to you and your family at a difficult time - and also to Poppy of course!

I am so sorry and so sorry for your loss. I some how stupidly missed Ashleigh's post explaining the circumstances. I will be very careful in reading all of the posts before I post in the future. I sincerely apologise again and my thoughts are with you and your family at this sad time.