Large Labradors

Is it me or are the local Labradors absolutely huge over here in  France, they seem to be closer to small great Danes than regular sized Labs, do they still have the same temperament ? Can anyone explain, I thought Labs were all of a standard size and shape.

We have 2 1/2 labs - 1 really small and petite, one lab mixed with a hunting hound - sleek and fast and our new boy (2 now) Danny who is absolutely huge! 45kg and not an ounce of fat. He is a failed guide dog (hip score) and is a gentle giant. His head looks like the head of a mastiff ! BTW he has green lipped mussel extract for his hips and its working miracles If I knew how to post a photo I would

Steve

[quote user="steve"]We have 2 1/2 labs - 1 really small and petite, one lab mixed with a hunting hound - sleek and fast and our new boy (2 now) Danny who is absolutely huge! 45kg and not an ounce of fat. He is a failed guide dog (hip score) and is a gentle giant. His head looks like the head of a mastiff ! BTW he has green lipped mussel extract for his hips and its working miracles If I knew how to post a photo I would

Steve[/quote]

Here he is, Steve, taken some time ago, not long after he joined you I reckon:

[IMG]http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv187/woodiesenfrance/PICT00102-1.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="steve"]Well it worked in preview!

Steve[/quote]

I followed the instructions in the 'How do I... ' section in Technical support, and it worked! I had to export the pic from iPhoto (where I'd filed it when you emailed it to me), to my bureau, then upload it to photobucket and find the right link format to use

Over the years, I've owned a number of Labradors.  I also used to foster for Labrador Rescue Society until homes were found.

They come in all sizes.  But generally speaking, I found that those bred as working dogs tend to be more muscular and those bred as show dogs tend to be more petite.  Maybe the labradors that you have seen in France have been bred from hunting stock, given that there is a very large active hunting community in France?  Just an idea.

Although it seems to be the opposite in the UK. The show dogs appear to be big, but the proper gun dogs are generally shorter and smaller boned - since they need to run around all day, or search through woodland/undergrowth it's probably just as well!

We brought two labradors from the UK, both were field trial champion stock and were smaller than the two rescues we eventually got over here. Unfortunately we have now lost the two UK dogs and one of the rescues.

This is a picture of my new baby - she's 6 months old now and Gordon Setter x Black Labrador [:)]

[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i312/Bouillaguet/Freya%20the%20new%20puppy/2011_01160005.jpg[/IMG]

And another with our old boy (one of the rescues) who has a head like a mastiff! The scar above his eye was where he was hit with an axe by his previous owner [:@]

[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i312/Bouillaguet/Freya%20the%20new%20puppy/FreyaandTeddy.jpg[/IMG]