baby bat fallen out of nest ...

A baby pipistrelle bat has fallen out of our verandah ... despite all efforts to put her back (the entrance to the bat colony is very small) the bat keeps falling out over several days. We thought it was dead but this morning we took it in and gave it some water, and it's quite lively now. But what can we do with it? We're quite happy to keep it in a box and feed it (what? goat's milk is suggested) or does anybody know of a bat sanctuary of wildlife group that might be able to take care of it? We're in Aquitaine. All replies appreciated.

Thank you I will contact them. Meanwhile I rang the Bat Hospital at the Isle of Wight and they gave me very helpful information, including feeding the baby some goats milk and also trying to put it back in the nest. At the moment it is in a little box on top of the modem (nice and warm) so if I can't get it back in the nest then I will contact the network. Thanks again.

So last night, just before dusk, I climbed the ladder and placed Babybat on the wall near the entrance to the roost. He clung on to the wall, facing the wrong direction. Then the bats in the roof started making clicking noises and suddenly Babybat got very excited and scuttled up the wall and straight into the roost, hopefully reuniting with mum! There was lots of scuffling and clicking and about fifteen minutes later, at dusk, over 50 pipistrelles flew out for their evening meal of munching mosquitoes down by the lake (why I love having the bats, as we don't have mozzies here). This morning, all seems well, nothing on the verandah floor apart from a generous pile of bat poo so hopefully all is well in teh roost. Thanks for all replies.

We had one that fell out of our loft. Tried to give it some water and milk and it wouldn't have it. In the end, my husband got some long ladders out and lifted some roof tiles and popped it back onto the beam in the loft next to some other bats.

We often wondered if it was OK and found it's mother.

I didn't know that they 'nested', what with being upside down and all. I thought that they roosted, I suppose, but thinking about it, I'm not sure what that means either[Www]

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Nice result!

Can you check something for me? 

I have be told (or read somewhere) that when bats leave the nest of an evening, they always turn left initially.  Is this so ?

[/quote]

hmm, interesting but actually our ones come out from under the roof and bear left towards the trees to the side of the lake, which is actually in the lefthand direction. So I can't tell you whether it's true (however, there's a pile of trees to the right as well). They come out very slowly and hang on the wall and then whoosh, they're gone so quickly. They're tiny as well so difficult to see.

Re. nest vs. roost, I believe it is called a roost. Apparently I have a maternity roost up there, all females and babies, who come back every year. Explains the mounds of bat poo from April to October !

We built our house and a couple of years after we moved in we started to see what looked like mouse droppings on the half finished balcony. I started to get quite worried as we ended up with quite a lot of droppings. I bought mouse traps and put them down and tried various food to entice, but no mice were ever caught. And then we started to noticed the pipistrelle flying and realised what was depositing on our balcony.

I liked having them in our loft space. In 25 years we only found one baby bat on the floor.

The only thing that I can add to this is that we have just one pipistrelle which parks itself behind our bathroom shutter (to the best of my knowledge) year-round.

Its only one there, but we saw several of them at dusk this evening 'on the wing'.

He / she is on the LH volet, as you look out, so a left exit is more likely.  Or ............ is this a wind-up? [:)]