Cat thieves

andyh4 is, of course, correct.

However unless you have fairly strong proof/evidence(i e you know the name and address of the person involved, you have video or 'phone camera evidence or you have witnesses) I wouldn't think your average Gendarme is going to a great deal of trouble to follow up your report.

Thanks Benjamin. My thoughts too. We caught them. A couple pulled up outside of our house, the passenger got out opened the back door of the car which of course got me suspicious and then she picked up one of my cats. We ran out and stopped her at the point where she was about to put him on the back seat of the car. The male driver got out and apologised saying they had lost their cat and that they thought our cat was theirs (I do have proof that he isn't). All I have is their car reg and make but as you say it's not proof. If they are genuine then I am not out to make trouble for them but even so I think they need to know that you can't go around helping yourself to someone else's animal and of course when they realised he didn't belong to him I guess he would have been dumped somewhere to find his way back home - a thought that makes my stomach turnover especially as he is an old cat and was originally left behind in our village when his owners disappeared some years ago.

Chris

I'm trying to get my head round Cat thieving. As you will obviously realise I am not a cat person, I have too many other things to fill my life with, doesn't mean I don't like cats far from it, when our neighbour was in hospital we fed and watered the person's cat and quite enjoyed the experience. What I don't understand is why someone would steal a cat, after all most people can't give them away quick enough.

If you're not a cat person you'll never " get it ".

We have a friend who took in one stray when they lived in a flat at San Pedro (Marbella). They now live in the country near Coin above Malaga.

She now has several cats, including two semi-feral ones, as well as about four stray dogs. She is so commited that she cannot go anywhere for more than half a day.We wont visit any more because of this menagerie.

Oh, and she's just joined an animal charity that re-homes stray dogs to Scandinavia. Don't ask me!!!!!!

[quote user="knee gel"]...he is an old cat and was originally left behind in our village when his owners disappeared some years ago.

Chris[/quote]

These weren't his old owners? Finally facing up to their responsibilities? [8-)]

I'd have a serious sense of humour failure if I saw anyone trying to abduct one of mine.

People are strange. Perhaps they were driving around looking for one that looked like one of theirs that had recently died... so they just thought they'd take one. Who knows.