Next door's cat

Benjamin

We're having a problem with next door's recently aquired cat using a particular area of our garden as a toilet.

Apart from waiting on the terrace with half a house brick in my hand, is there a more humane way of stopping this behaviour?

Benjamin

Please drop the brick Benjamin.  I happened to see this the other day in this month's French News supplement :

"Cats in the garden can be a problem, particularly if you have beds or pots containing seemingly bare earth, such as those in which you have just planted your lilies or sown seeds.  To tackle this, use the branches from recently pruned shrubs, as the twiggy stems deter the cats from digging up your soil, and also add some support to the growing plants.  I tried this with unwanted branches cut back from a hardy fuchsia a few years ago, which not only kept the cats away but to my amazement also took root, giving a floral support to my Madonna lilies and lots of plants to give away to friends and family!"

Thanks for that Christine. Some recently cut small branches/twigs have now been  placed over the offending area.

Unfortunately it's adjacent to the veg patch so we'll keep our fingers crossed that she doesn't just move to that.

Or it could be pick the brick time (only joking)

Benjamin

When we moved over we saw plastic bottles full of water next to gate posts, against curbs in gardens and all sorts of places. We wondered what the hell they were for. When we got round to asking one of our French neighbours we thought his answer was taking the mickey. It deters cats because they see their distorted reflection and they don't like it. In for a penny,,,, so we now have several bottles spread around the garden where the crats used to cap (I wonder if the lang monitor will spot that one???) and now we have a crat cap free garden!!

This is not a wind-up, it really seems to work...

If all else fails I also have a catapult and a good eye and before any one yells a stone through the undergroth NEAR the cat frightens it into leaving. Our labrador quite like joining in the chase too when she can![6]

John.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

When we moved over we saw plastic bottles full of water next to gate posts, against curbs in gardens and all sorts of places. We wondered what the hell they were for. When we got round to asking one of our French neighbours we thought his answer was taking the mickey. It deters cats because they see their distorted reflection and they don't like it. In for a penny,,,, so we now have several bottles spread around the garden where the crats used to cap (I wonder if the lang monitor will spot that one???) and now we have a crat cap free garden!!

This is not a wind-up, it really seems to work...

John.

[/quote]

I've seen this in use in Spain ... but didn't know that was the reason.

Does this stop dogs too?

[quote user="Russethouse"]

The branches are good idea, especially pyracantha!

[/quote]

We have about 75 yards of pyracantha hedge and I put some down but took it up again after our neighbour's cat got some of it in it's paw and had to go to the vets. It was too thick not to tread on the stuff. No wonder they call it firethorn! Oh how I love that stuff?????[+o(][+o(]

You can also get automatic cat water sprayers that you put down where they are using. When a cat appears it sprays a jet of water at it and we all know just how much cats like getting wet... I think I have seen them in the jardinaries?

John.

I once saw a tip on Gardener's World for protecting new seeds - get old teabags and put a few drops of muscle rub/deep heat type stuff on each, then place just under the soil by the seeds. Cats hate the smell (can't blame them!) and keep off the area.

I haven't tried it, but wonder what the garden smells like [blink]

P.S. My cat had 4 kittens this morning, she is a clever girl! [:D][:D][:D]

Oh!! Babies!!!! [:D]

Sorry, got a little broody, there!

Our neighbour used to put water bottles in the garden to keep our cats away.  They came home one day & Harvey (God bless his little soul) was batting it around the garden.  Next they tried orange peel - as cats don't like anything citrus - Yup - Harvey ate it.  Finally they bought one of those metal cats with goggly eyes - which are supposed to scare other cats away.  Need I say more - Harvey beat it up. 

To be honest our cats never messed up other peoples gardens - it was the stray dogs!!  [Www]

Plastic washing-up bottles full of water (rather than glass ones) left around where we can grad one and aim a squirt near (not at) the cat used to work for us.

I once squirted a mangy looking black cat who looked reproachful then slowly limped away. We took it to the Blue Cross who tended to it then told us the cat would be destroyed unless we could find an owner within a week. We adopted it. 

Sorry to slightly change the subject - it was the mention of teabags that did it!!  Does anyone have a cat that likes coffee?  Penny has taken to drinking any esspresso left in our cups.  She charges around the house, like a thing possessed, then gets really whingey & sleeps for hours!!  I try to keep her away - but she loves it!!  [:-))]   

Hi Christine,

Was your cat ever in Star Warz? It played a shortassed little git with a nasty little lazer sword?

You don't have to go to the extent of warding off the waso, apart from the ring neck doves. You can get the repulsive stuff just for cats. Don't use it just before you sit down for your dinner though unless you are on a no food diet. It don't 'arf chuck up a stink. No wonder the cats don't like it??? Even our chokky labrador won't eat it!!!!

John.

For me, one of the joys of living in France is that my neighbours don't have cats. In general I don't mind them, but in my garden - NO. I just cannot see why I should defend my garden against other people's pets.

Hoddy

Two weeks on and it appears that Minette has gone elsewhere to do her biz.

We used the cut branches over the area and the bottles of water, although I can't see my own reflection in them but maybe the cat can.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Benjamin