Our view as to how to treat pets.

Llwyncelyn

[quote user="WJT"]

I agree with what you say. However, I would never buy veal under any circumstances. I personally feel that it would be kinder to kill the animal to start with rather than give it such a short cruel and painful life and then kill it. I believe anything that would encourage this sort of treatment is wrong and the sooner people simply stop buying veal full stop the sooner this product will no longer exist.

I do know that most of the supermarkets in the UK have stopped selling it many have stated that their customers find it offensive. Too right [:(].

[/quote]

Are you talking about the UK or France now? As said earlier not all veal is reared in crates. If you kill them as soon as they are born what do you do with the carcass? Do you have a problem with it becoming "zoo fodder" as someone else mentioned? What about calves reared inside in barns, but not in crates, is this acceptable to you?

I am talking about both or anywhere for that matter. I personally would never buy or order veal anywhere!

As far as it being acceptable to me, well no, but unfortunately as hard as I try the world won't put me in charge of such matters [:)].

But seriously, to answer your question, I do not agree with the production of veal full stop. I do know that dairy farmers may have a challenge but if people cared more about animal welfare, I believe that there could be a solution to the handling of healthy baby male calves. In the meantime, I do believe it would be kinder to kill them than to torture, even if a small percentage may not live their lives out in small metal boxes. I know it is wishful thinking because British farmers just shoot the calves when they are born but the sooner the demand for veal ceases perhaps the sooner a better solution will arise. In fact I would like to see it become illegal.

[quote user="WJT"]

I am talking about both or anywhere for that matter. I personally would never buy or order veal anywhere!

As far as it being acceptable to me, well no, but unfortunately as hard as I try the world won't put me in charge of such matters [:)].

But seriously, to answer your question, I do not agree with the

production of veal full stop. I do know that dairy farmers may have a

challenge but if people cared more about animal welfare, I believe that

there could be a solution to the handling of healthy baby male calves.

In the meantime, I do believe it would be kinder to kill them than

to torture, even if a small percentage may not live their lives out in

small metal boxes. I know it is wishful thinking because British

farmers just shoot the calves when they are born but the sooner the

demand for veal ceases perhaps the sooner a better solution will arise.

In fact I would like to see it become illegal.

[/quote]

So when does a "veal" become a "beef"? Of course a fair percentage of

veal (that which cannot be sold labelled as veal) ends up as "beef"

(because it is - it comes from a cow!) in pre-prepared beef meals and

hamburgers.

It is better to campagain for the abolition of crated veal "full stop"

than to find oneself tied up in the semantics of labelling.

EDIT: Most farmers in the UK do not "just shoot" calves once

they have been born. This is because disposal of the carcasses on the

farm is now illegal. They have to pay (quite a lot) for offsite

disposal. For this reason, many farmers now bring on calves to around

the 80kg mark so that the carcass has some value. Food is now the

cheapest (in real terms) that it has ever been. Until the public is

prepared to pay for improved wealfare standards, the shortcuts and

cruelty (buy Danish or Dutch pork anyone?) will continue. Veal has

always long been a fashionable cause: most people didn't eat it so they

could self-rightously complain about it without seriously affecting

their lifestyles, but pretty much all cheap meat is reared in

conditions that would turn the stomaches of most people were they to

see it.

I love veal, I have it in my freezer and we eat it often. The veal I buy has been rasied with their mother, they've had a good life and they were bred to feed me. It's life. At the moment as homo sapiens we're still top of the food chain. I eat meat, enjoy it but I do care where it comes from. WJT are you as passionate about famine, genocide, rape, torture, legal injustice, environmental degrade, global warming, homophobia, racism, sexism, terrorism, and genophobia or are you one of those brave animal extremists who know nothing of many of the outrageous injustices going on in this world apart from your own narrow mindededness?

By the way 'WJT'...are you a meat eater?

CHRIS

A friend of ours, who lives in Poitiers, lost her one year old kitten cat. After making inquiries it was found to have stowed away on a lorry which was calling near her house and was found by the driver at Cherbourg. Not being able to return, or take it with him to the UK, it was left in care of a local animal sanctuery.

She badly wants it back and she tells me that she was prepared to make the trip there and back to recover it. This of course would be very arduous and expensive. Has anyone any alternative ideas which could solve this situation.

Maxine

What a strange tale.  How lucky the lorry driver did not just dump it but took the time to take it to an animal sanctuary.  How did she find out about the cat's fate?

I would have thought if she is that attached to it then she would not think twice about a trip to Cherbourg and back to collect it.  Perhaps if it is a regular run the same driver could pick it up again and drop it off in Poitiers on his next trip.

I cannot believe she is even thinking about it, I would have been off at first light.I drove 80 miles once to take a hedgehog to a hedgehog sanctuary and was so relieved to be handing it over, knowing it would be looked after as it was very thin.She is so lucky to have found out what happened to it and be able to get it back.