Why is my lab doing that??

Frenchie

My dog has been in a kennel for 10 days recently.. When I got him back, I noticed there was something wrong with his tail .

After we got home, he carried on " biting " his tail til there was no skin left, so I had to put him his " collerette" for him to avoid scratching and biting it .. ( + antispetic on the tail)

He had done that already , once, but at a time when he was with us at home, not back from the kennels .Anyone got any idea as to why he does that??

He hates the collerette but sort of accepted it, he has no choice.. Poor Shadow ..

Thanks for the answer ..

No, my other animals are not scratching more than usual...

Last time I took him to the vet for that he said to put his collerette on, treat him with advantix again and just put some antiseptic on the tail ..

It got sorted within a few days .......

I thought the reason might have been boredom or anxiety.. Maybe I was just totally wrong then! 

Apart from fleas, two other things spring to mind.

What part of the tail is affected?  If near the body, could he have a problem with worms?

Could he have damaged his tail, particularly if its an especially waggy tail?  May have created discomfort/numbness which is irritating him.

HTH

Lynda

I would suspect that it is linked to his stay at the kennels and is an anxiety based behaviour. Maybe the other time he did it at home there was perhaps something that triggered it - a family problem, separation from a family member, tension in the home etc? We once had an Irish Setter who started to chew his back leg, to the point where it would bleed, and the vet said it was through boredom (made me feel really good![:(]). It's almost an attention seeking behaviour - "if I damage my tail she takes notice of me and perhaps won't leave me again"

They are not daft, are they?!![;-)]

I'm afraid you might be right...

Oh no he s not daft..  very clever ands so sweet..

I find him sad these days.. He hates that collerette he has to wear. the tail is healing , hope he won't have to wear it for too long.

My dog would LOVE to have a dog friend, but our house is not big enough to welcome another pet.

Thanks to you all for your answers.

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/shadowmai2006.jpg[/IMG]

Lovely pic yes.. I LOVE labs..

Shadow would play endlessly..

Our neighbours got a black lab. We sometimes watched him for the day.. Shadow and him would play til they got exhausted... [:D]

Shadow is 2 years old. 

Your dogs look gorgeous.

What are their names?

Look what Shadow 's done to his collerette in two days !! [:-))]    [:D]

I had to go and buy another one, that I reinforced according to the Vet's advice...

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/shadcollerette.jpg[/IMG]  My lovely monster...

Your lovely monster looks very like our Billy  (nearly 2 years old) - the one on the chair in the picture. It is the only furniture they are allowed on, and it's like musical chairs - as soon as one gets off another jumps on! Teddy is the other yellow lab (5 years old) and Jet is the black one (14 years old). It's sometimes hard to get near the fire at night!  Relaxing By The Fire

I had a great dane who constantly chewed her bum right by her tail as this dog does.   Unfortunately it was triggerred by the stress of being put in kennels whilst we went on holiday, therefore after she went on her doggy hols with my parents if went went abroad.  (This was some years ago before pet passports etc).

Now our two are all passported and ready to leave with us next month.  I foresee lots of squabbling over who gets prime position in front of the log fire because they have never seen one before but they are both dedicated Heat Fiends.   There will be the odour of singed dog wafting about the place [:)]