Pet Passport

Frenchie

I may take my dog with me to the UK next summer, and I d like to know what the cost for a pet passport is.. I know this question must have been asked before but can't find it .....   Thanks in advance ..   Régine and Shadow !!

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/ReadImage.jpg[/IMG]

The passport itself has never cost us anything.  However we have always got one with the first rabies injection - which of course you have to pay for.  Subsequent injections have always been at the same price as the first, so the answer would seem to be nothing.  Of course you will need to get the blood test done as well since you are going to the UK.

Hello

My vet has said they do the rabies vacination again to ensure that it has taken, they then do the blood test 30 days after that.  His reasoning is that the test cost around 80 euros, the vacination 25(ish), so if you have a blood test and fail you have to have the jab again and then also pay 80 euros again, better (he says) to have a second vacination beforehand to be sure - in numbers 1 x 25 + 80 rather than 2 x 80 + 25! 

It's straight forward for me as my pup was done before I had her so I would be happy to have the vaincation again then I know for sure she's had it, if you've been having rabies for some years for your dog then I see no point in having it done again before the test, with my old dog I did this, he had ahd 4 rabies jabs by the time he was tested so I just went for the test and it was positive,  no problem.

So you could say the passport costs 'something' as you wouldn't be having the blood test if were not for the passport!

Panda

You will need to get a wiggle on to get it all done pre-summer, depending what you mean by summer.  If you had the jab tommorow, you would have to wait 30 days to have a blood test, then when the test comes back say 2 weeks after that you can not take the dog to England until after 6 months has passed, so that takes you to somewhere around second week of July!

Good point Panda, I thought I had left enough time to take my dogs to France and more importantly bring them back to Sccotland but they both failed the antibody test. They have both had to be vaccinated again and the we are now having to wait another 30 days.

There is also the requirement for a microchip, if the dog already has one make certain that it can be found and is working.

The dog also a requires tick & tapeworm treatment containing praziquatel to be given 24-48 hours before check in with an approved transport company, most ferries fall into this category.   

The info is on http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

Yes, before we brought our dog here, the vet told us it's not uncommon for dogs to "fail" the rabies test because the French Authorities specify a very high antibody count (I don't know the exact numbers).  Indeed, our dog had to be "done" twice.

So, it's best to allow plenty of time for the 30 day re-vaccination period.

I have had three dogs 'Pet passported' last year, all three are small/toy types two passed after the first injection but one failed and had to have another injection.

Luckily the manufacturer/vet offered a free 2nd injection and I only paid a half fee for the 2nd blood test, worst thing was my 6 month re-entry was delay by another 5 weeks but because I had factored that possibility into our time scale we were OK.

I must say that we have found the whole experience very easy including all the pa lava getting them set up to bring home.

Costs we have encountered this year were: 3 x £30 = £90 for the ferry + 60,28€ (£42.50) for the French vet.

Worth every penny if you ask me.[:D][:D]

Jackie

• 1 month later...
We are hoping to move to France permanentley this year, and are hoping to take our 2 dogs and 2 cats with us. As we do not intend to return, we are not concerned with the 6 months wait to enable return to the Uk, but is there a time limit to having the jabs done? I know we have to wait for the blood test to confirm the jab has "taken" , but as we are waiting for our house to sell before we go[:(] I was wondering if it was one of the jobs I could get done now, to get it out of the way?[8-)].

Once you have the passport and the blood test the only thing you have to ensure is that the rabies injections are kept rigorously up to date.  The passport will tell you the expiry date.  If you miss by just one day, then you start all over again from scratch - blood test 6 months wait to return to UK.

Please take heed.  You are never going to return but.......

What happens if a friend or relative dies, becomes seriously ill, throws an x0yth Birthday party with the world invited, decides to marry or any of 1000 other life events that mean you want to come back to the UK for a short stay?  Now suppose that you can't find a cattery.  (They are comparatively rare in France and fill up quickly in holiday periods) What do you do?

From one who learned the hard way, make sure you get the blood tests done and keep everything up to date.

Thanks for the info, we have no relatives left in the UK, so will be unlikely to need to return for those reasons, it would only be if we found we couldn't hack it in France that we would return, and that would be something we would plan long term for. It would take OH a good while to get my fingernails dug out of the door jamb[:P] Having said that, when I have kept animals overseas in the past, I have always made a point of keeping their jabs up to date, but I just had an idea that once we had the jabs done in UK there was a time limit on how long you could remain in the country. Don't know where I got that from!!