I'm so sad ...

Frenchie2

Our 10 year old  cat has been poorly for a few days .. I took him to the vet this morning and he kept him for the day..

He  called us tonight and said he only had a few weeks left, maximum a few months.. but he said we may have to put him to sleep during the week...........

My son and I cried....  I feel so moved........   We ve spent all those years with him, 2 different homes,  happy days but also sad days..

My son grew up with him..

It may sound ridiculous but I have the feeling we are losing a member of our family...  The nicest of cats, ...

We had adopted him from Niort refuge when he was a year old, and always thought that was such a luck to have found him..

Excuse me, but I m crying so much...

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/Platonsalon.jpg[/IMG]

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much..    It is such a shock..........

Yes, we talked about it  and I said to my son what mattered was for him to leave this world peacefully..  How is it when an animal is put down ? Can I have him in my arms?

He is such a sweetheart... He's slept  on my son's bed every night since we ve had him, I love it when he sleeps on my lap when Im watching TV, I love it when he winks at me, when he is all cuddly when he feels I am sad.. I love him .

I am devastated really.   

Oh frenchie Im so sorry , it breaks your heart every time , remenber the joy of him and the times you had , not these last few days. He couldnt of found a better home than with you and the love your family have given him. All my love an hugs girl [:)]  

Both my cats were put to sleep in the UK so I don't know exactly what happens in France.

The first one, Timmy, was taken from our home by the vet and we were told that they'd run tests on him and see what they could do.  The following day, they rang us to say could we go to the surgery and that keeping him alive was not an option.

We went, they took the drips out of his little front legs and we held him whilst they injected him.  Later on, I found out that vets often take animals in the night before when they know there is no hope just to make the owners feel their pets have been given every chance.

Knowing this, I vowed that our second cat would not have to spend his last night on earth in a cage at the vet's.  So, when it was time, we requested a home visit.  It was peaceful and good.  Thomas was already used to needles as he had been ill for about 18 months.  He practically held up his front paw to be injected and he died in my arms.

It was terribly hard, Frenchie, so I know what you are going through.  I have never properly got over their deaths.  However long you have your pet, you will always feel it is too soon for them to go.

When you do let him go, you will be surprised that he will say goodbye and console you instead of the other way around.

love to you and G

Oh Frenchie.  I know what you are going through and my heart goes out to you and your son.  Please try and be with him at the end. I held Truly in my arms while she was injected - couldn't see for tears - but at least she knew she was still being loved. She is buried in the garden with a "Truly" rose bush over her and although it has been 12 years since she has gone - EVERY day I look at that bush and think/talk to her.  Try with all your might to be with him at the end no matter how hard it is.

Thinking of you with tears flowing!!!!

Thank you so much for those comforting messages.

I think I will also ask for a home visit.My son is really devastated..  he said  " when I think last night was his last cuddle to me" .. And I promised there would be another one..

Yes, we will make a lovely little place for him in the  garden. 

Why do they have to live such short lives?

We have them for years, they are part of the family, we love them as much as they love us, we don't think about the end but when it comes...  God, that is hard...

I have a very bad headache now..     I want to give a big cuddle to the dog..

Merci à vous, you 're all so nice. Bless you .

I had to do this for my very much beloved 9 year old dog a little over a year ago and he died in my arms at the vets here in France, so yes they do allow you to be there and hold him. My heart goes out to you Frenchie2, I know what a difficult time it is.[:'(] If it turns out to be necessary in order for him not to experience pain, you are doing the most kind and loving thing for him but of course it is the hardest thing for you.

He's still there Frenchie, maybe for a few weeks, maybe a few months.  Make the most of what you still have with him, make those days the happiest possible for him.

What is it kidney failure?  We just lost one last week we had had for years, the nicest cat you could imagine, mon Coco chat.  It's very, very sad, my thoughts are with you.

Merci christine..    Yes, kidney, liver , evrything seems to be packing....

The vet was embarassed on the phone tonight, he could feel my distress through my silence..

he said a few days, maybe a few weeks, .. a few months? But he suggested at the end to prepare for having to say goodbye to him this week..  As my son said a moment ago " Je ne me fais pas d illusion".......

I'm so sad for Guillaume too........   He s still crying in his bed, he doesn't want my help ...      and he has to get up at 6.30.......

I guess I have to leave him experience his sadness..

Yes, it s so sad.    Platon is the cat's name, but for about a year , Guillaume has called him by a silly name " Tonton le thon" ..

it s silly .. but we are always silly with the ones we love aren't we ?

Frenchie, so sorry to hear about your little cat-it is such a shock when you get news like that.I have had to have several of my animals put to sleep over the years and it never gets easier-they ARE one of  the family and are always sorely missed.

When you have a cat put to sleep you can hold them in your arms and it is very peaceful. It is the final act of  love and kindness you do for your pet.

All us cat owner feel for you at the moment.

Tricia

I found this poem for you and your son Frenchie.  I know it's a sad one but whenever I lose a cat (I've had a lot over the years) I find it helps to have a good cry and then remember all the lovely times we had together.  My daughter was very upset when one of our cats Simba died.  I suggested we bury him with his favourite 'toy' and a photo of her holding him, this helped her accept him going away with some souvenirs of his time with us.

Souvenirs

Maou, mon gros touffu, je me souviens encore
De tes baisers mouillés
Quand, petit esquimau, tu frottais ton museau
Sur le bout de mon nez
Maou, mon gros touffu, je me souviens encore

Je me souviens encore de ton dernier regard
Celui qui m’implora
Quand, tout près de partir, tu vis la mort venir
Te saisir dans ses bras
Je me souviens encore de ton dernier regard

Du fond des jours passés par-delà les années
Je garde au fond de moi
Dans un nid de douceur gravé au fond du cœur
Ton regard plein d’émoi
Du fond des jours passés par-delà les années

Maou, mon gros touffu, froidi entre mes bras
Longtemps je t’ai bercé
Serré tout contre moi, mon petit chat tout froid
Longtemps je t’ai bercé
Maou, mon gros touffu, froidi entre mes bras

Maou, mon gros touffu, serti au creux de moi…
Mon petit chat… si froid…

As with many on here, my heart goes out to you.  My husband says it is the last kind thing we do for our animals and he is of course right.  I have had to have three of my cats put to sleep, twice in really heart breaking circumstances, and it never gets any easier but it is part of owning a pet.  I also think it is important for children to learn that this is a part of life as I did when we lost family dogs when I was little.  It is not something we can protect them from, just help them to cope with.  Take heart from the fact that your cat was so loved and happy.  Also you may find that if he is so poorly, he is ready to go.  One of my cats was like that and he died in my arms almost the minute the needle touched his leg, and was so peaceful.  You never forget them and although it is painful to lose them, you wouldn't have been without them and you need to hold onto that.  You and your little boy will have to help each other through this.  I wish you well at this sad time.

Frenchie,

My heart goes out to you and your son. I know how difficult a decision it is to make (you may remember I had to make it for Morse a few months ago!) however please know that it is a kind and loving owner that will make it.[:(]

I will be thinking of you {{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}

My 12 1/2 year old Greyhound Lira died of kidney failure a month ago while we were on holiday. The local vet was brilliant, agreed to come to the campsite in the evening after surgery and he injected her while I stroked her head and she looked into my eyes. It took about 20 seconds, she puffed her cheeks twice, her eyes glazed a little, and she was gone. It was so quick and peaceful and I was so thankful we did it that way. I can't imagine carrying her through a crowded waiting room or, worse, leaving her for him to dispose of.

We put her in the car straight away and the 2 of us made the 5 hour journey overnight home, where I buried her in the garden the next morning, returning to the campsite in the afternoon.

As I pass the little grave with the roses on top every morning with our other 2 dogs, I don't feel at all daft in saying 'morning Lira'.

If it is not too late, please arrange the vet to come to your home, the charge is not excessive, the comfort priceless.

Frenchie,

My thoughts are with you and your son, have just read your post and am sat here crying now. Yes it so sad and hard to come to terms with, but you can be there and comfort him in his last moments.   Thankfully children are very resiliant and sadly it is all part of growing up.

A few years ago when our cat was at the vets and very sick, they told me we could either come and be with her or not, I chose to go and took her favourite blanket with me for her to lay on, and was able hold her when she was injected, it was very peaceful for her.  We took her home and she is buried in our garden with a rose bush as a memorial, we still say good morning to her every day.  My son was only young at the time, and the cat always went to his bed with him until he fell asleep, then she would get back up again, he cried himself to sleep for a period of time, but has taken to new members of the family.  I think we all found it much harder to cope with when another cat got brought back to us after she had been run over, you feel even more helpless as you could not be there for them when they needed you most.

Remember all the good times with him and all the pleasure he has given you.

((With a big hug for both of you))

Wendy

MERCI from us both ...    You don't realize how much all your words of understanding touched me..

He s still alive today, refusing to eat, liver, kidney pb, now diabetes... The vet said they ll keep him til the end of the week, see if he starts eating a bit, in which case maybe we could have him back home even for a few days ..

I don't know what to think..........

We went there to see him, he was so happy he purred in our arms for so long ....

It was good to hold him. My son really enjoyed being with his cat .. even for a few minutes..

I don't know if the vet tells us the truth...  I meean, if there is really hope for him to live a bit more.. Because they also speak of putting him down at the end of the week if he s still the same..

Frenchie, I am so sorry to hear about your poor cat, but just think what a good, happy, loving life he has had with you and your son.. I had the same problems with my little Yorkshire Terrier, sadly she died of a massive heart attack, my husband & I felt that someone had reached into our hearts and ripped them out.

I know how painful the decision is to put him down, but remember, he will let you know when he wants to go, he will just float peacefully off to sleep with you cuddling him, what better way to go.

Be strong, Frenchie, the emptiness does go away & you will remember all the good times, my heart goes out to you and your son.

Big hugs

[quote user="Frenchie2"]

I don't know if the vet tells us the truth...  I meean, if there is really hope for him to live a bit more.. Because they also speak of putting him down at the end of the week if he s still the same..

[/quote]

I think they don't want to unduly influence you Frenchie. The vet that treated Lira said recovery was impossible but he may extend her time a little with a blood diffusion. Accordingly I spent an hour that first afternoon at the surgery holding her while she was on a drip. He told us to bring her back in the morning to see if there was improvement. During the night she wimpered but calmed down when I got down with her and cuddled her. In the morning she squealed in pain as I tried to lift her to take her to the vets, and could not rise on her own. We knew then what we had to do and I went alone to the vet to ask him to come in the evening. It was obvious from his manner that he thought this was the only course to take and had thought so from the beginning, but had wanted the decision to be ours alone.

We don't always credit 'dumb' animals with commonsense and consideration, but despite being unable to stand that last morning, during the day she struggled to her feet to go outside for a pee and to be sick. She was so weak that she couldn't then lie down again without assistance.

Bon courage.