I'm so sad ...

Frenchie2

Oh Twinkle you are so nice ... You bring tears to my eyes.. I feel so emotional these days...

Ad I got a sore throat tonight...

Platon seems just the same, something 's unusual in his attitude but he s not yet slipping into a coma as the vet has predicted...

He still can walk and jump on the furniture!  he has eaten a lot today, so it gives the impression he s fine, but he s a bit restless..

ANyway, now he s again sleeping just as you could see on the pic above..

A normal evening ... cat purring, dog in his basket, kid doing his homework..  Wish I could stop time..

Yes, it really helps to be able to let all this out .. Thank you all again for being so kind.

Love, [kiss][kiss][kiss]

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not posted for a while, but your posting just reminds me of the loss of my little darling a couple of years ago,I nursed her until her quality of life was just awful, she was only four and I felt so cheated for her, she had an inoperable tumour, those last weeks were a blur and nothing else was important, I realise now I was starting the grieving process  then and when I had to give in, it was a relief that I never expected, I had done so much crying and so much heartache and waking up in the morning and then a moment later realising it was not a dream, just made me feel worse.When I  had her put to sleep, I was so glad she was not suffering, anymore her four years had been good for her and she was above all loved and cherished.Why I am telling you this is because after, I really felt so depressed,and thought I ought not to rush into another one,it had all been so traumatic.But the house was empty, and it was not the same and I owed it to molly to give another waif and stray a home.I always think of Molly when I look at that special place in the garden where I buried her, and now I have Lily she will never take the place of Molly, but what joy she has brought to our lives, she comes to France with us for three months in the summer is a real character, and I thank Molly for giving her to us and thats how I deal with it,because we would not have her if it were not for the loss of Molly.When you have to make the decision you will know it is right and you will deal with it ,with unknown strength, but cellebrate her life with another little one, it will not be the same it will be different and you will love them just as much. I do not think I would ever have wanted to live my life without my pets,they give there loyality ,and ask for so little,I always feel sorry for people who have never experienced the wonderful companionship an animal can give.Bless you for sharing this with us, I think we have all given our pets that extra cuddle this week.But we all know what you are going through.

Yes, indeed, I feel you understand what we feel perfectly well..

Thank you so much  for such a long posting...  I wonder if I'll take another cat after Platon..   We are not ready to think about that, but I understand what you mean...

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/Oct25EVE.jpg[/IMG]  

OUR HOUSE TONIGHT..  A HOUSE WHERE NO ONE S CRYING!!!    I think we feel a bit better because we 're in control of the situation now .. And we know we're doing the right thing...

Good for you frenchie , I had my dog put down in earlier this year , its like a bus through the heart, but like you we gave him a few days of hugs , time ,love , and any thing he wanted , spend this time well and give all the love you have. Im walking with you in my heart [kiss]  

We called the vet tonight and he said it was a real surpise to him the cat was not into a coma by now , he kept repeating " I'm so happy foryou, I'm so happy for you!"    We must keep in mind that the situation may get worse at any moment.. But if we could have him with us for a few more days/ weeks, that would be so much appreciated..

The vet said it was exceptional that he can now regulate his diabete only by food, and that the rest has not worsened...

A happy Frenchie tonight!!! [:)]  who says thanks to you all, a deep sincere thank you for all your kindness and thoughts and words of support. You can't imagine how important it is to me ..

XXXXXX

Hi Reg

I'm so sorry to hear about your poor Platon - I remember he was quite poorly for a while earlier this year and you were very worried then? 

You'll know when the time is right for the vet to come - I had to make that dreadful decision 2 weeks ago for one of my old boys - Blobby, with skin cancer and feline AIDs, he lost the fight with a massive tumour and was put to sleep peacefully in my arms, with my tears falling on his wee face.  Our vet allowed us to bring him home and we buried him under an olive tree in our garden which was given as a gift after my dad's funeral last year - it's now become 'dad's and Blobby's olive tree'.

Let Platon go before he starts to suffer, and grieve him in your own time - you'll never be able to replace him, but just think of all the wonderful years he's had with you, and what a lovely life you could give to another needy cat (not necessarily a kitten) in the future.  I still have the odd weepie moment when I think of the many cats who've made my life more enjoyable by sharing their's with me, and it's f***ing hard when the time comes to say goodbye, but there are too many beautiful cats out there who need your loving care. 

My love to you and Guillaume and Platon and Shadow this weekend.

My dear Frenchie,

I'm so sad :

I have just seen your thread for the very first time and am so choked for you sweetheart and just wish I could be with you to give you a nice big hug and cry with you.

I've been there a few times cos when I lived with my parents now deceased we always had a pet dog and it's so upsetting when you lose them because they are one of the family but it is for the best. You do not want to see any great suffering as once or twice with us they did suffer rather before the vet put them to sleep but I don't want you Frenchie to go through that.

I understand fully and my heart bleeds for you and remember I  am here for you anytime for comfort & support.

Your new pal,

Nigel  x

yes, ChateauMiaou , as you say this is bloody difficult... This morning I am up very early, he doesn't seem to be too well.. I'll be waitin til the morning to see how it goes.. if he falls into a coma, Ill take him there, even before that.. Guillaume and I will have him put to sleep in our arms when the time has come..  I know I couldn't hold back my tears in front of the vet, but he must be used to it..

After all, some emotions are difficult to control ...  Deep sigh....

I know there are plenty of cats who need a loving home , but I am not ready  to think about that yet...

If one day I do, it will peobably be an adult cat.

Platon is a rescue cat , we took him from our local " refuge " when he was one year old, he had been abandonned by a woman who was allergic to cat hair..  

Well, in fact , HE adopted us more than WE did... Guillaume was three then, he kneeled and the cat jumped on his lap and I remember what G said " I want this one ! "   I answered, " have a look at the others too darling.."    But he replied " No, no, it s this one, the black and white one"...  Smile... That was the beginning of a fantastic relationship between them both..

Platon is the kind of cat that would follow him on his way to school, and a moment after, he was back home.. 

XX

Hello Nigel,   Thank you very much for this lovely message.  It is good to feel some people being supportive and sharing a bit of our  sadness. It s always too early.. Animals don't live long enough...

Do not worry, we won't wait til he suffers, I KNOW we will know when the time has come to show him our affection for the last time..

Merci for your nice words.   XX

Frenchie

My heart goes out to you & your son, yes, you will know the time when it comes, but that does not make it any easier, Platon has  been your companion for so many years, always there to listen when problems seemed to be at their worst, he offered unstinting love & loyalty and was your strength when you needed it.

Now he needs your strength, & I know you will not fail him. Be strong Frenchie.

We are all thinking of you

Big hugs

Jinty

One practical point Frenchie, but which will make the final event less traumatic. When you finally decide that the time has come, whether at the vet's or at home, pay him first. I was so glad that when Lira breathed her last the vet was able to nod his ackowledgement of our thanks and disappear quietly to leave us in peace. It would have been awful at that point to have to break off and deal with the commercial world.

Bon courage.

That is good advice too David.

Your story Frenchie is mine. I had two white British Shorthair cats, Sibyll and Athene, daughter and mother, 22 years and 24 years. For the last 8 years we have to-ed and fro-ed from France to the UK complete with 'our girls'! I had Athene as a kitten and had one litter from which I kept our wonderful Sibyll. A most gorgeous fluffy, loving animal who never seemed to grow up as she lived with her mother and was always doing kittenish things! Everyone just adored fat Sib! They were both house cats as where we lived in the Uk had busy roads. Seven weeks ago we lost Sibyll. She had developed problems with her back legs (we had had to construct a walkway up to her chair as she could no longer jump) and had started eating very little. The vet did not do a blood test and we did not know what was the matter. We had not had cats before and did not know about kidney infection being the main killer for older cats.Then on the Saturday she was much worse and the duty vet in another village saw her. He did the blood test and told us it was kidney problems. He wanted to put her in a cage and administer a 'perfusion' as he called it. We would not let him and he then suggested he give her the stuff in a large injection/syringe. We had to take her back the next day for another dose. By Sunday night, she had not improved and died on her chair in our bedroom. I cannot look at her chair now as that is where she lay suffering that Saturday and Sunday! We dug a grave in our garden and made provision by her side for Athene when her time was to come. We made a coffin and put in her pet passport and flowers, she loved flowers! Our farmer neighbours told us that it would not be long as they would not live long apart. We took Athene to the vet and asked for a blood test. She too had kidney failure. We were prescribed medecines and we nursed her for five weeks. The last fortnight she could not lap so we gave her water every three hours with a pipette. He back legs started to go wobbly and we knew it was not good. We went to see the vet. She did a blood test and it was bad news. She said we would consign her to a horrible death if we let her go on. I had to make the decision, I felt that wherever she had her last minute was irrelevant as long as she spent it with us holding her. Our vet gave her an anaethetic in jection first that put her to sleep before she administered the final injection. We brought her home and buried her with her 'kitten' in the garden. We planted a flowering bush and some perenials and some cyclamens. We have a little bench and I go and shed tears there. They were a big part of my life and I am grief stricken. I know what you are going through Frenchie and I send hugs.

Athene,  I read your message with attention... Such a meaningful long message....

Oh yes, I know we will never forget Platon and everything you say finds an echo in me...

I'm trying to show my brave face but deep inside my heart aches. I think of all the great and sometimes funny times we shared, the tough

ones too.. But I feel better than a few days ago, because he is with us, in his normal environment, and we will never be

parted again until his last breath.

The lounge is very warm and sunny, it is peaceful here, the dog and the cat are sleeping on the sofa.. The smell of curry slips from the

kitchen, it is a peaceful day, yes..   XXXXXX

[quote user="Spardo"]

One practical point Frenchie, but which will make the final event less traumatic. When you finally decide that the time has come, whether at the vet's or at home, pay him first. I was so glad that when Lira breathed her last the vet was able to nod his ackowledgement of our thanks and disappear quietly to leave us in peace. It would have been awful at that point to have to break off and deal with the commercial world.

Bon courage.

[/quote]  Oh yes, I had thought about that Spardo..  I will pay before so that I can turn away and hide my tears..   The vet said he will anesthetize the cat, then he will give him the lethal injection. He said it would be just peaceful.   ( I had imagined suffering..)

We will have him cremated and my son wants to keep the ashes in his bedroom, next to a lovely flower pot.  It wouldn't have been "my solution", but if it can ease his pain a bit then it is OK by me .

XX

Frenchie

Please don't think of the "lethal injection" as anything nasty.  It is just like when they have blood taken; vet finds a vein, puts in the injection and the cat simply slumps against you within seconds.  No struggling and no anything terrifying like that.

Both ours went so peacefully that we sometimes wish they'd do it for suffering humans.

Be brave, Frenchie; you must for Guillaume's sake and also for Platon's because I do think animals "sense" everything and are much more intuitive than us mere humans.

I know about the love you have for Guillaume and for Platon.  It is just so VAST, it's not something you can describe.

Love & kisses

I am brave, sweet 17.. Of course I am sad to see him gradually " fading away"... but I m so happy he s back here with us.

I'm relieved to hear the " lethal injection" is not nasty indeed.

For the moment is quality of life is still OK / He's slept most of the day......

From time to time he looks at me and makes a weak " meoww" .. I give him cuddles and I think he s still happy, but I also believe animals sense it when the end is near..

[quote user="Frenchie2"][The vet said he will anesthetize the cat, then he will give him the lethal injection. He said it would be just peaceful.   ( I had imagined suffering..)[/quote]

I think that's what they do to humans in Texas. My only experience here is that the vet gives a massive overdose of anaesthetic injected in a leg vein. This stops the heart within seconds. Far less traumatic than you imagine in advance.

Well, he said first he would anesthetize him just as he would do for an operantion, then he would make the lethal injection straight in his heart and there would be no suffering at all. The heart will just stop beating.

It is a comforting idea.

Where are you in 24 ( Perigord Vert )?  ( I know the place..)

Frenchie

I have to support what David has said.  That's all it is, an injection into a leg vein that is just like the cat having blood taken for a test.  It is, like he says, seconds before the cat closes its eyes and slips away peacefully and quietly.

I don't understand why the vet has to anaesthetise the cat first and, if he does, what way is he going to anaesthetise it?  With a mask over its face, or what?

And then, an injection straight into its heart?  But why?  Personally, that would freak me out completely; I mean, somebody putting a needle straight into my cat's heart!

PLEASE, PLEASE discuss with the vet why he is choosing the method he is proposing before accepting that what he wants to do is the best possible way. IMO, he'd better have a bloody good reason for wanting to do this!

I trust my vet, he is famous here and an animal lover. he will give a first injection to anesthetize the cat, then a second injection into his heart to have it stop beating immediately. That s the lethal injection itself. 

With the first one, he would just wake up after a while...

He won't feel the second injection since he will be asleep.

I don't understand how your vets do...  all in one injection?