Barking dogs again!

Hibou

We love dogs but don't have one at the moment. However, we live in the countryside and every one of our neighbours has dogs. Our two neighbours have 3 dogs each which they keep caged on the boundary of our property ( far enough from their own property as not to be heard by them).  The barking is driving us mad.  Not only that but we also have a gite which is even closer to the dogs than we are and worry that it will affect our business.  We have tried all methods, politely talking to the owners, discussion with the Maire etc.  To get to the point, has anyone ever used the anti-barking machine ( not the collar) and if so,does it work? (I know what the adverts say!).  Any views would be welcome.  Hibou

Get one of those bottles of water with a sports' top or a water pistol, and give them a squirt on the muzzle mid bark.  Humane, and works well.  Your neighbours may not let you do it, but they may be willing to try it themselves.  I've never tried one of the electronic anti-barking things myself as plain old water is usually enough for even the most chronic of barkers.

Hello everyone,

I too have a barking dog in the garden next door.  Due to a strange arrangement of our adjoining cottages our office windows actually overlook this garden.  The other day the dog barked for seven hours solid, making it impossible to concentrate on any work. Can anyone explain why the French allow their dogs to bark like this? 

In desperation I sent off for a sonic device from Maplins.  I'll let you know if it works.

[quote user="Bluebell"]

The other day the dog barked for seven hours solid, making it impossible to concentrate on any work. Can anyone explain why the French allow their dogs to bark like this? 

[/quote]

How could they (or any nationality) stop the dog from barking other than keeping it cooped up in the house?

Not a sarcastic question as I have had complaints from some neighbours in England that my tenants dogs are barking and would be really interested to know if ther are any methods, actually it can only be one dog barking (perhaps in concert with a neighboring dog) as the other is a husky and cannot, howling like a wolf when really stressed perhaps but barking? Pas possible!

Having spoken to most of those affected the root of the problem appears to be once again a cultural difference, the family come from South Africa and the dogs have always lived outside and continue to do so except for a few hours each evening when they join the family.

Those that are complaining about the noise feel it is inhumane to keep dogs outside, the closest neighbours (the only ones who could actually be affected) say that they think it would be cruel to keep the dogs locked inside whilst the family are at work.

This dog of ours next door is not being left alone all day while the owner is working. Madame is at home with it and even when pottering in the garden she does not tell it to shut up.  This dog stands stiff legged and bristling, barking constantly at nothing and I cannot believe that the dog is happy doing this.  Dogs need to be dominated, it's the nature of the pack, but this lone fearful dog has had to take on the responsibility of protecting the home.  If Madame would take on the protective role and show that dog who's boss then that dog would be an awful lot happier.

What I really meant to say was how can Madame not know the effect this dog has on the neighbours?   

Many thanks for all your views.  Bluebell, I am waiting with baited breath to hear about the sonic device. Thank you, Cooperlola for the water idea. Unfortunately, there is a raised bank of about 2 metres between us and the offenders and I don't think a squirt of water would reach with any force.

Hibou.

• 2 weeks later...
Back in the "old days" when I was at work, our Housing Officers often had to go to houses with unfriendly dogs, so the organisation I worked for purchased a little ultra sonic device which the housing officers would take out with them.  In order to find out if it actually worked, a couple of people at the office took it home to try it on their dogs.  One in particular had an "over" friendly dog who would jump up at her and any visitors as soon as they walked through the door, so she tried the little ultra sonic device each time she walked in through the door with the command "down", and after a couple of goes, the dog associated the noise and the word no, and stopped jumping up.  No hard feelings from the dogs point of view and it meant that she could take it to friends houses, and out for walks without it jumping on anything it liked.

The other dog was prone to having a pee in the house.  Well it was only a young alsation.  Again, everytime my colleague saw it cock its leg, she would press the button on the the sonic deterrent, and the dog would think twice.  Also, after just a couple of goes, the dog would then ask to go out to pee (not literally, before any of you wise guys out there pick up on a talking dog).

As for the housing officers, when they approached the house with the unfriendly dog, they would stand outside the door, ring the doorbell, and as soon as the dog started barking and growling, press the deterrent button, and presto - an almost well behaved dog.

So personally, I would invest in one of these little gadgets and try it out on your neighbours dogs.  The beauty of it is, that only they can hear it.  You can't.

Jan

I wish I'd known about that gadget when I was working. I used to do home visits, and somehow these families always had a german shepherd dog. They would shout "come in and take a seat - I'll be there in a minute". And a huge gsd would come bounding in to guard me while I waited. Help![:'(]

• 3 weeks later...
I am happy to say that the little device from Maplins works a treat.  I can just shoot the dog through the window and it leaps like I've prodded it with a redhot poker.  Then it scoots off back to the house and silence reigns.  I've only done it a very few times and we are now enjoying peace and quiet.  It's the nearest thing I've seen to magic!

[quote user="lostinfrance"]

Third party??????????????
                                          Please could you enlighten me.[8-)]
[/quote]

It was a short hand really LIF to say that it is ok to name the product on this site as the recommender has no interest in the company selling the product (we assume).

[quote user="woolybananasbrother"]If that is the one Clair, it doesnt work as it has no range and angry dogs ignore it. Which is why I asked the question[/quote]

That's the only one I could see in Maplin's online catalogue.

Is there another?

Conrad have three similar devices (type chien in the keyword search).

We have had a similar problem.  At the end of the day dogs in France bark and the people here think that is fine.  Don't stress about it as there is nothing you can do.  Look at the Channel 4 films, they are sponsored by Stella and even part of that add shows a perfect village scene with a dog barking in the background.  I think your guests will not worry as much as you do.  Its the same withc cockerels..  Ours shouts all day long as do our 4 neighbours. 

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear but it is a fact of life in rural France.

Thanks Clair, this is exactly the one I've got.  The dog in question is quite small (but incredibly loud!) so I wouldn't know if it worked on big dogs.  As I use it from the attic window I can testify that it works over quite a distance.   I wouldn't think I've used it more than five or six times over a couple of weeks and it has solved the problem.  And as for not stressing, it's more a question of being totally unable to think after a few hours of frantic yapping in the garden outside.

[quote user="Bluebell"]Thanks Clair, this is exactly the one I've got.  The dog in question is quite small (but incredibly loud!) so I wouldn't know if it worked on big dogs.  As I use it from the attic window I can testify that it works over quite a distance.   I wouldn't think I've used it more than five or six times over a couple of weeks and it has solved the problem.  And as for not stressing, it's more a question of being totally unable to think after a few hours of frantic yapping in the garden outside.[/quote]

I know.  Forgive me, having just re-read my reply it does sound patronising. Sorry.  I hope the device does the trick for you.  I was just trying to point out that here people tend to think of a shouty dog as normal (I disagree but they do).

Take care

CY

[quote user="Bluebell"]Wiskersnatch, I agree with every word you said.  And I love the sound of cockerals (our neighbour has them and they are so beautiful) and to me the sound of the frogs is the sound of exotic places.[/quote]

You mean it works on cockerills and frogs. Frith, if it works on a yapping MIL I am in paradise.

Can you tell me what an MIL is if it isn't too rude!

I've never thought to try the zapper on the cockerels or the pigeon coo-cooing just above my window, but it might be interesting to see what happens, although I really wouldn't like to disturb any of the wildlife.  It's like a aviary in my garden.  And it's still a novelty being able to see and hear animals from my windows. I'll never get tired of the cows and the sheep, and the donkeys up the lane.  BTW the llamas, emus and buffalo are really quiet!

MIL = mother in law.

I agree about Nature's sounds but don't think that covers dogs barking non-stop which is unnatural and indicates a troubled animal (and owner?). Exceptionally however, there is a cuckoo that starts off as soon as dawn begins to break, right outside my bedroom apparently. Him or her I would like to zap and hope it dropped a hint about relocating.