Arthritis

Gardian

Just a shot in the dark, really.

We were 'adopted' just over 3 yrs ago by a little chap (cat) who quickly became a family addition to the two old girls who we had brought over from the UK (both now passed on).

Mick was so small & emaciated when he turned up that we thought he was quite young - in fact, the vet said that he thought that he was 5 / 6-ish. Anyway, his 'undercarriage' was never quite right, but no problem. About 3 wks ago, he developed a really bad limp - vet, anti-inflammatory, bring him back for an x-ray if it doesn't improve.

It didn't: x-ray, severe arthritis.  Big shot of anti-inflammatory, "which should last for several weeks". "Oh, and by the way (new young vet), he's probably nearer 12 / 13, than the 8 / 9 that you think."  Unfortunately, after 11 days, we've had to take him back for another shot and he's better again.

This isn't about the cost (the vet is being very reasonable, just €8 for this last visit), nor the bother. Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions that we could put to the vet for alternative treatment. I think that I know the answer, but it's worth asking. 

I have a colleague that had her dog treated with injections of gold !!!!

It appears to have worked but I have to admit that I'm a bit sceptical and I believe the cost was high as you can imagine.

My colleague is very much into alternative therapies and perhaps sees improvements where there are none.

I can find out more info if you want me to.

Thank you all very much for your helpful and constructive replies.

Pierre - any more information that you can get would be welcome.

I've printed off the natural remedy product details and will just take the precaution of running it past the vet. She'll probably be unenthusiastic, but you never know and it might well help. Provided we don't get an absolute veto, we'll try it out: I'll get back on the results.

OK I got it wrong again.  The treatment involves injecting small pieces of gold into 'Internal' acupunture points.  This is starting to sound more and more like Snake Oil to me but they claim a 95% success rate (not sure what criteria that's based on).

Anyway, you can make your own mind up.

Here is the website in German

http://www.goldakupunktur.de/fragen.html

and a Google translation

http://translate.google.lu/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.goldakupunktur.de%2Ffragen.html&sl=de&tl=en&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8  

and here are a couple more sites with info.  Whatever you decide I hope it works out for your cat

http://www.ta-schulze.de/index-Dateien/GISchmerz.htm

http://www.ta-schulze.de/index-Dateien/GIGrundlagen.htm

PZFP ..............

Thank you very much for the trouble you've taken.  We have visitors at the moment, hence the reason for the delay in responding.

Will pursue the links when they've returned to the UK.

Thanks again. 

Gold injections used to be used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (which is quite different from osteo i.e. wear an tear arthritis).  Gold injections are not the same as hydrocortisone injections.  Glucosamine is used for the treatment of osteoarthritis and can help even when the arthritis is severe.  As far as I am aware there are no double blind trials that prove the effectiveness of magnets - any beneficial effects are thought to be psychological (i.e. a placebo).

Hi Gardian

So sorry to hear about poor Mick ... I don't know if this may help, but we had a problem last year with our beautiful 12 year old boy - he was suffering badly with arthritis around his body 'under the armpits' area as a result of having been caught in a snare the previous year.  He had trouble getting up and couldn't roll over etc.  I did some research and found that Cosequin was reported as being helpful in some cases so I asked our vet - he agreed that it could well help so we tried it (Cosequin Double Strength Cat) for 6 weeks.  Within a week he was obviously feeling better and by the end of the 6 weeks he was almost back to normal, rolling around and chasing butterflies again [:D]  Once the course had finished we started him on Flexi-Joint (it contains glucosamine, chondroitin, and vitamins C and E).  He is back to his old self again and didn't even find the cold winter a problem!  Possibly another option to consider?  Whatever, I do hope that your boy gets better soon.

Just to say that we're still here and thanks everyone for the contributions.  Visitors leaving tomorrow (no problem, except for my 79yo aunt falling and having to get patched up this afternoon!) and Mick seems to have forgotten his ailment on account of bbq titbits. 

Will pursue all these helpful suggestions once back from the airport.

Meanwhile, aforementioned feline is obliviously spark out and feeling no pain. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.

I took Mick to the vet today for another jab: 3 wks before it was needed this time, as opposed to half that before.

I asked about Cosequin and she said that it was very similar to what she'd just given him, but in tablet as opposed to injectable form. She felt that it's certainly worth a try just to see whether he does better with it, so we agreed that next time round, we'll perhaps give it a go.

Have to say though that if the period between jabs extends even further (vet reckons that it should settle at 4-6 wks), then we may well stick with that. To their great credit, they're charging me just €8 each time.  As a sideline though, I'll follow up on the alternative medicine front.

Thanks again to all for your helpful suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

A rather sad update.

About 10 days ago, Mick started to go off his food and lost weight rapidly: he never was very big, so it showed!  Took him to the vet on Saturday and they did an immediate blood test: kidney failure. They kept him there for treatment over the weekend, but said that it wouldn't be long.

We brought him home on Tuesday, but he was very weak and emaciated.  We decided last night that there was a danger that we'd hang on to him for our benefit rather than his, so we took him to the vet this afternoon and he was very gently put to sleep.

A smashing little chap, who we'll miss greatly.

If it should be that I grow weak and pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then you must do what must be done for this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad I understand, don't let your grief then stay your hand

For this day, more than all the rest, your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years what is to come can hold no fears

You'd not want me to suffer so, the time has come, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend and please stay with me till the end

Hold me firm and speak to me until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see the service that you do for me,

Although my tail it's last has waved, from pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve, it must be you who has this painful thing to do,

We've been so close, us two, these years, don't let your heart hold back it's tears.[:(]