ferrets and a snake

nessy

Hi I'm planning on moving to france and just wonderd what the rules are on taking my 2 ferrets. I'm hoping it will be the same as a cat or dog. I also have a corn snake i would like to take too but don't know what the rules are for that eaither.I would be very gatefull for any info. thank you

• 1 month later...
Ferrets do indeed need much the same paperwork as a dog or cat, but the blood test and 6 months wait are not needed.

Other livestock (which presumably includes snakes) should have a certificate from a vet to say they are in good health and fit to travel. You need to check with the carrier (ferry company or tunnel) about any particular rules they have; no ferry company will take rabbits for example.

the transport of reptiles really isn't the same as with mammals.

If a reptile is CITES protected then the CITES paperwork is required, but this doesn't apply to corn snakes. You don't have to declare corns. Some people do anyway and don't have any problems. Unless you count being stopped for hours with them trying to confirm exactly what you have in the polybox. So if you do declare then write the latin name on the side of the polybox. When I've dealt with crossing EU borders whilest carrying reptiles I've had receipts with me because they've been purchased that day.

It's not just a matter of EU border regulations, to get from Britain to France and back with an animal you have to use a ferry or the tunnel. The operators have to meet the terms of their carrier's licence and will have their own procedures. So if you just turn up at the port with reptiles etc you may well not be able to cross, they will usually have to be properly booked in. So do check with the operator - for example you need to declare reptiles on the tunnel, while Brittany Ferries will only carry ferrets in one direction.