Winter close up

moon

I am going over next week to close up for the winter. Last year my neighbour who had the house before us drained the entire water system including the chauffe d'eau (excuse spelling). When we returned at easter it took a couple of days to build up the pressure again, so we only had hot water from the gas instant water heater.

Should I drain it all off again, or just the pipes and leave the Chauffe d'eau full.

Bob

We asked our neighbour exactly the same thing only last week, as the winters in Limousin can be very cold. She leaves her huge house in late October to stay with her son in Chantilly, and each year switches the water off at the main stopcock - ours is in the house under a hatch, which is handy - drains all the taps, but leaves the water heater full...I suppose it would have to be seriously cold to cause problems with that amount of water indoors. She also puts car anti-freeze down the toilets and sinks!

Pete   

[quote]We asked our neighbour exactly the same thing only last week, as the winters in Limousin can be very cold. She leaves her huge house in late October to stay with her son in Chantilly, and each year sw...[/quote]

Anti-freeze in the loo and down the sink?!!!!!!!!

How would that work with a fosse septique? or any other system for that matter!

We turn off the water,leave the taps open but never drain the chauffe-eau. We move our washing machine indoors as well, as it normally is housed in the garage.

If your property is likely to suffer from damp then leave dehumidifiers in the house (crystals variety, as they require no electricity). Also leave interior doors open to let the air circulate. If possible, beds and other furniture could be moved away from walls as well.

If you have cushion covers and curtains, take them off /down and give them a wash, then put them away, clean and fresh ready for next Spring. Mattress and pillow protectors also get washed. We have our duvets cleaned in the spring, ready for the coming season.Dust sheets on the beds help too.

Make sure your shutters are properly closed, this is vital for insurance purposes.

We have done all this over the last four Winters and so far it has worked well for us.

Bon courage

Gill

I am pleased to have the useful advice in these messages.  I agree that the water in the hot water tank is most unlikely to freeze given that the tank is insulated and the amount of water it contains.  However, one doubt in my mind, is that if you don't drain the hot water tank and if a hot water pipe bursts then there will be a serious amount of water to drain away.  This is unless you have a separate stop tap immediately after the hot water tank, which we don't.  Finally, as an alternative to anti-freeze in the U-bends, what about screen wash which has a less detrimental impact and, although not as strong as anti freeze, it is also designed not to freeze?  Any thoughts?

As an environmentally friendly anti-freeze for your U-bends why not chuck a bit of salt in there...?   Not that we need it here in the sunny south, of course.