Duty free?

Dear Forum,

I have some friends from the UK visiting shortly and as wine connoiseurs, they have asked me what would be the maximum allowance of this sweet nectar that they are allowed to take back home? Ciggies do not come into the equationas as both are both non-smokers!

There has been much talk about the duty free allowances in the media, I must admit that I am totally confused on this matter. Any answers would be very welcome!

As much as you want for your own personal use.

As much as you can carry.

Customs have been hit by EU for over zealous measures this year, I have had no problem with 60 bottles travelling on my own.

There is no such thing as duty free within the EU, strict limits apply to real duty free from outside EU. Buy wine from the french caves or at the vineyards.

& enjoy

Bob

Its not just over excess that customs are doing people on, its also the dangerous overloading of vehicles, especially family cars which have the back end almost dragging along the road. Penalties for overloading can be very severe and incredibly dangerous to anyone in the vehicle as you cannot control it as you should. I have seen many overloaded vehicles going back to the UK before now,one couldn't even drive on the ferry straight because his steering was so hampered.

The duty free allowance is only a couple of bottles of wine per person - but I suspect that you mean the duty paid allowance from within the EU. As others say that is as much as you like for personal use but in the past C&E have interpreted this in their own way (a bit like the French and other EU rules). 

John

Hi, I've just checked the customs & excise website for what they consider to be

the recommended allowance.

As I've said above, the allowances are: 90 litres of wine

110 litres of beer

10 litres of spirits

20 litres of fortified wine

This allowance is per person and anything above they will start to question.

So, it's not as some believe that it is "as much as you like". there is a limit to

what is deemed acceptable.

John

[quote]Hi, I've just checked the customs & excise website for what they consider to be the recommended allowance. As I've said above, the allowances are: 90 litres of wine ...[/quote]

My understanding is that the 90 Litres is only a guideline. (That's 120 bottles). If you can demonstrate to the customs a reason for bringing more - e.g family wedding/anniversary/birthday then I believe they are obliged to let you through.

n.b - If there are two of you travelling then the limit/guideline is 240 bottles - that's normally enough for most people

[quote]Its not just over excess that customs are doing people on, its also the dangerous overloading of vehicles, especially family cars which have the back end almost dragging along the road. Penalties for ...[/quote]

Have seen this kind of thing as well - it's one of the reasons that we have taken to bringing back a significant proportion of "bag in the box" wines. Stow them in the back seat rather than the boot.

There are some really good value VdP out there - many can be sourced directly from the producers. Our favourite is Coteaux de Peyriac from Villerambert Moureau - it's just over 1 euro a litre in 5 litre boxes and for everyday drinking is as good as a Cote de Rhone Villages from Tesco's at 4.99 GBP a bottle.

Hagar

Springer - as I said in my earlier post, C&E have placed their own interpretation on the free and unfettered movement of duty paid goods for personal consumption. Some might consider this to be individuals having to prove innocence rather than the state proving guilt.

However to avoid the possibility of having your spouse and vehicle impounded illegally it is wise to stick to the imposed limits.

John

Customs really annoy me, why people legally buying stuff within the EU having paid the TVA/VAT at the store, transported it at their own expense to their own homes or businesses should theorectically give Gordon Brown a cut just for crossing the channel is taking the mickey.

S

[quote]Springer - as I said in my earlier post, C&E have placed their own interpretation on the free and unfettered movement of duty paid goods for personal consumption. Some might consider this to be in...[/quote]

In can also work the other way - even if below the guideline allowance C&E may decide to impound the goods if they suspect you are not importing for your own use - e.g they see you crossing very frequently and have some suspicion that you may be illegally trdaing.

I believe the example of the spouse and vehicle being impounded was what actually caused the EC commission to come down on UK Customs & Excise. The outcome was two fold -

1) the guideline/allowances were raised substantially e.g cigarettes went up from 800 to 3200

2) the Commission said that any action taken by UK C&E should be proportionate to the alleged crime.

If I remember correctly the couple concerned were not even in their own car, were importing what would now be acceptable amounts of booze and cigarettes., but had the car impounded along with all sorts of other goods. The commission considered that action quite outrageous - and rightly so in my opinion!.

Hagar 

This subject has been in the UK news recently. Apparently the EC is threatening to take the UK to the EC courts for being a little too enthusiastic in imposing limits. The EC is even suggesting that provided its not for profit, then there is nothing wrong with bringing cigs/alcohol back for friend/relatives etc. Gordon Brown is probably apoplectic at the thought of all the lost revenue.

Be interesting to see how it turns out.

Tony

The French are just as bad as the English. We live close to Spain, it's about 90 minutes away. There is always a stream of French plated cars at the border being searched and stuff removed, Frenchmen waving their hands in the air as they do in demonstration.

A friend of mine bought 10 cartons of cigs back and had 5 confiscated by French customs. They don't bother with UK plated cars so I shall do a big run before xmas after which I am registering my car in France. Of course the other thing is to travel back between 12 and 2 as they are very 'hot' on taking their lunch down here.